Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Puffer on telly
  • scotroutes

Tuesday 10th, 7pm.
    BBC2 Scotland Adventure Show

pete68
    Free Member

Cheers, just set to record. Anyone who’s not in Scotland but has sky,it’s on channel 970.

vmgscot

Wish they would get a bit more adventurous and cober other stuff…its the same bunch of events every year… EWS would be good

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wish they would get a bit more adventurous and cober other stuff…its the same bunch of events every year… EWS would be good

And on the other hand, pretty much the only TV show that features stuff like this. I’m more of a glass half full!.

MoreCashThanDash

Presumably on iPlayer afterwards for us none Sky owning Englanders?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It usually is, yeah.

iainc

will you be on sporting your ‘gentleman’s cap’ again nobeer ? 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

The puffer – good television showing personal battles with misery and dissasters and minipips. actually engaging for non cyclists.

EWS – boring clips of people pointing their bikes down hill*

*for non enduro cyclists.

The puffer isn’t covered as a sporting even is what I am trying to say. there is no coverage of the splits etc.

Northwind

joshvegas – Member

The puffer – good television showing personal battles with misery and dissasters and minipips. actually engaging for non cyclists.

EWS – boring clips of people pointing their bikes down hill*

There’s no reason that other events couldn’t be covered in the same way though. Especially the 5 day sprawl of the EWS- follow some pros and some E2 dobbers through the week.

I really like their puffer coverage, certainly wouldn’t replace it with something else but it’d be grand to get elsewhere too. Because I’m greedy.

joshvegas
    Free Member

But if they were covered in the same way would they be even remotely as interesting? I’m not convinced.

24hr races of any discipline are pretty unique in what you can capture. from a good television point of view.

someone fixing their brakes by headtorch after riding 18hrs compared to someone finishing for the day and haveing a nice old bike service in the warmth of clean cloths etc isn’t going to capture the imagination in the same way.

I’m not against coverage I can just kind of see why thats what they cover.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

will you be on sporting your ‘gentleman’s cap’ again nobeer ?

Wasn’t there this year mate, look out for the bearded Klaus (Yokaiser of this parish) just getting to the start line on time though! 😀

vmgscot

Sorry, what I meant by ‘EWS’ was Tweedlove.
    Been watching puffer and WorldsDH every year on Adventure show for last 3 (or is it 4) years and thought they could try other stuff to show off what’s good here in Scotland.

bigjim

yeah I think Tweedlove would be a great feature for the adventure show.

scotroutes

I was going to suggest that the content is guided by the title of the show. I guess that most folk consider the Puffer to be more of an “adventure ” than a standard race. However, their charter/brief is mostly to do with competitive events. Only Cameron seems to regularly get away with focusing on adventure rather than competition.

I understand that there would be added complexity and cost but imagine covering something like the HTR

richpips
    Free Member

Does anyone have the know how to record this onto a DVD in return for a couple of beer tokens?

kcal

HTR is interesting, however I guess the mechanical pressures and mental fortitude required are – kind of – similar to the ‘puffer while being extended over many – or at least several – days. Whole lot of scenery though 🙂

jekkyl

on virgin in england?

andytherocketeer

be on iplayer, but you have to scroll to the bottom and tell it you’re in scotland usually
    and then set it back again after to get your local variations

scotroutes

jekkyl – Member
    one virgin in england?

That’s a bit harsh!

Northwind

joshvegas – Member

someone fixing their brakes by headtorch after riding 18hrs compared to someone finishing for the day and haveing a nice old bike service in the warmth of clean cloths etc isn’t going to capture the imagination in the same way.

They could have filmed me riding out a stage at innerleithen with the bike broken in half, then changing the rear triangle in the dark 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

i am sold!

epicyclo

Northwind – Member
    …They could have filmed me riding out a stage at innerleithen with the bike broken in half, then changing the rear triangle in the dark

I went home and rebuilt my old bike halfway through the ‘Puffer. I got to drink beer an’ all. 🙂
    Doubt that would have made riveting viewing though.

(Got fed up of all the minor problems on my newly completed plastic fantastic costing me time)

Hopefully they will give MiniPips a big wrap up. That lad could be the future of 24 hour racing.

AlasdairMc

I think filming any element of the HTR goes against the self supported nature of it. There was a big outcry when filming Ride the Divide as it was felt that the three featured riders could have been using the directors as a sag wagon.

It’s also really really boring to watch, especially when there are ten riders spread out over 150 miles and you’re waiting a day to see the next rider.

However, I would love it if they would cover the HTR as I’d happily represent the weekend warrior and enthusiastic amateur in one fell swoop.

StirlingCrispin

In their defence they did cover The Highlands, Glens and Western Isles audax over 1,300 kilometres.

It was a superb show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v5hhh

richpips
    Free Member

Bump. 😉

Northwind

That was good- much less interruption than I remember from previous shows, no wedged in cookery section or anything like that… And about 10 million singletrackists. Jojo is still famous. Minipips bits were nicely done too, he came over so well. It didn’t feel like it had much drama, but good continuity and feel. Watched it with my dad, he could not give a flying **** about mountain bikes but he enjoyed it- and took the piss out of the fatbikes so he’s not all bad.

I didn’t quite catch the start, did they just awkwardly avoid Guy Martin for the entire thing?

jimmy

Missed it. We got interviewed but I’m hoping it was bad enough not to be included ed.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I haven’t seen it, forgot it was on, but remember thinking the same thing last year re Guy Martyn. Is it maybe because of whatever contract he has with Channel 4?

scotroutes

They mentioned Guy a few times, including saying he “doesn’t do interviews”. It’s a contractual thing.

Stainypants

richpips

I can get it as a mp4 file once its on iplayer and stick it in dropbox. Don’t have a DVD recorder but I’m sure someone will be able to do that for if you can’t.

Nick

wanmankylung
    Free Member

They even had Guy speaking at one point.

scotroutes

That was just a GM hand puppet. Did ye no see Dougies hand up his back?

doh
    Free Member

I wish the adventure show the best of luck but it is generally a bit pish. Mostly focusing on one only slightly interesting thing for far too long.
    The one show generally has more “adventure” in it.

Good to see the puffer and put a few faces to names though.

DrP

What’s the HTR please??

DrP

richpips
    Free Member

richpips

I can get it as a mp4 file once its on iplayer and stick it in dropbox. Don’t have a DVD recorder but I’m sure someone will be able to do that for if you can’t.

Nick

Thanks Nick, that’d be great.

🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Puffer on telly’ is closed to new replies.