Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Pub/work bike grab a piece of Royal Mail history in green though!
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

Are these adorned with obscure components standards as older ones were?

raisinhat
    Free Member

50 lbs! That makes it a bargain, at just £11 per kilogram!
    Also, drum brakes and 24″ front wheel?

Some choice quotes on that website – “they’re built to last using British components and top craftsmanship”

“robust and sturdy town bike”

It wouldn’t even matter if everything is a bizarre standard on it, since no one will ride it long enough for anything on it to break.

shaggy

I know Rich knows a lot more about these bikes than me but, I quite like this idea. I rode an older postie bike around town for years. While it cost me very little, that wasn’t really the point. It was a bike I could leave outside for months, then ride it across town and everything would still work.

For these, factor in shipping a bike to Africa and so… It doesn’t sound like a bad deal to me.

CraigW
    Free Member

Its equivalent to the Pashley Pronto, that costs about £645 new. http://spoke.co.uk/pashley/257-princess-sovereign
    Plus probably extra for the racks and stand etc.

So a decent quality refurb for £250 seems OK.

Houns

Tempted!

unovolo
    Free Member

£280 if you want the front rack and basket.
    Had a look at there face book page which shows the bikes in a non studio setting and they don’t look quite as good,rusty bars and seatposts ,bent mudguards.

That said I do like the concept still ,and are tempted with one for the weekly shopping run instead of using the car.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

50 lbs! That makes it a bargain, at just £11 per kilogram!
    Also, drum brakes and 24″ front wheel?

Some choice quotes on that website – “they’re built to last using British components and top craftsmanship”

“robust and sturdy town bike”

It wouldn’t even matter if everything is a bizarre standard on it, since no one will ride it long enough for anything on it to break.

Only obscure if you’ve only ever ridden bikes with 1.1/8 headsets and BSA BB’s.

Drum (and the closely related coaster) brakes are brilliant for commuter/town bikes, unlike disks the pads will probably last a lifetime, they’re still popular on the continent for that reason and on tandems because they don’t get as hot as rim/disk brakes.

24″ front wheel (and 50lb) is likely for strength, and those bikes are designed to be ridden up kerbs whilst loaded full of post, and those baskets are made to be tough, a normal pannier rack weighs about 500-600g and is rated for about 20kg, you could probably it kids in those! Small wheels also means lower COG when loaded, 29er/700C toruing bikes are a UK thing, everywhere else in the world it’s 26″.

I’m actually quite tempted as a dedicated commuter.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Only obscure if you’ve only ever ridden bikes with 1.1/8 headsets and BSA BB’s.

At some point in history the components were very obscure threads different to everything else etc, from a security point of view I think.

That all might be fiction..

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one in olive black, with the front rack and basket.

I used to commute on a Yuba Mundo cargo bike, which I sold to Sustrans a couple of years ago as I never really used it to its full potential and it got to the point of needing a lot of work done to it. Since then, I’ve really missed having a bit of cargo capacity on my town bike and have been looking into porteur racks for my current commuter so this should fill that gap for me, as well as allowing me to return my commuter to fixed gear MTB duties.

My LBS has an ex-postie bike as their shop bike, so I’m confident they can sort any obscure components, not that it should ever really need anything doing, with drum brakes and an SA hub.

funkrodent

Fence wardens welcomed their new tools for the patrol but elephants took spectacular objection to the Royal red hue, so much so that one of the wardens was chased for 20 minutes by an irate elephant

I suspect the elephant new that, with the bike weighing in at a hefty 24 kilos, it was on a hiding to to nothing. It had to have a go though didn’t it, I mean it’s not as if they’re known for their thick skin..

On a more serious note, looks good. May get one for the g/f. Whem the inevitable crash happens, she’s far more likely to come out on top if she’s piloting one of those

miketually
    Free Member

Anyone else place an order?

curto80
    Free Member

Wonder if there’s investment value in these things?

ThePinkster

Tempted to get one as another round town/commuter if I can sneak it past Mrs.Pinkster…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Tempted to get one as another round town/commuter if I can sneak it past Mrs.Pinkster…

I believe that so long as you intend to post a small square of cardboard through the letterbox these bikes allow you to move around silently and invisibly.

njee20
    Free Member

Mrs njee20 is interested in one, be good to know what the actual condition is like, the pictures make them look perfect!

jekkyl

love it, wonder how they’d manage lower cliff at Cannock. If you could get the fecker up the climb.

miketually
    Free Member

be good to know what the actual condition is like

I’ll post many photos 🙂

petrieboy

I’d also be interested in some pics. We don’t currently have any bikes that don’t scream “steal me” so this would be a useful addition.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ve wanted one of these since I changed jobs and have to take a fair bit to work with me every day.

Silly really as Mum had one for a long time being a postie. Since she gave the bike up she’s had all sorts of back problems pushing a trolley around the village. Thankfully retirement is near.

miketually
    Free Member

There’s an enormous box blocking our hall, left by a very grumpy ParcelForce man – the box had fallen over because it’s so ridiculously heavy so, when he opened his sliding door, all his other parcels fell out into the gutter.

Felofagen
    Free Member

This post came along at exactly the right time. Elephant bike is the perfect solution for my local transport needs. Placed the order on Saturday. It will be delivered within the next 2 weeks – by parcelforce!

TiRed

Very tempted. Already have a small ladies Dutch town bike with same hubs and gears (and weight), and just fancy something a little more errr… masculine. Perfect bike for trips into town shopping. Basket will need zip-tying to the rack I presume?

Does it come with a chainguard?

miketually
    Free Member

Pictures of mine on Instagram: http://instagram.com/miketually

Mine didn’t come with a chainguard, which is a shame, and the bell got crushed in transit. Otherwise, I’m impressed!

I’ve replaced the enormous saddle with an old Brooks and chucked my lights onto it and will be riding it back to work shortly, which will be my first test ride.

I need to look into some fixed lights, maybe Reel lights, plus get a new bell and replace the seat QR with a bolt so my saddle doesn’t get nicked.

petrieboy

Mine has arrived and I’m delighted with it. Paint is spot on, oily bits are clean and work as they should. Hubs especially are beautifully polished, someone has really taken a great deal of effort. Really good personal service from Zoe when I emailed a question about the bike too.

nuke

Thats really nice petrieboy…colour looks great 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Wow that looks fantastic. The basket looks great!

squirrelking
    Free Member

That’s a bargain whatever way you look at it, wonder how much stuff I have that would be worth getting rid of to make space/money…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Pub/work bike grab a piece of Royal Mail history in green though!’ is closed to new replies.