Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Pubs in scenic locations/great views/beautiful beer gardens
  • welshfarmer

The Abbey Hotel, set in the grounds of Llanthony Priory. The bar is in the cellar with a vaulted roof but there is nothing better than taking your drinks out in the sun on a warm day and sitting in a quiet corner of the ruins soaking up the atmosphere and the views to the Black Mountains. I am of course biassed as it is my local and only next door and I can drive/ride home across the fields 😀

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Llanthony-Priory-Hotel/1490211014535566?ref=ts&fref=ts

Stoner
    Free Member

I may have inadvertently kipped in your field then Welsh. 😉

I love to drink at the priory, but it’s a pity I can’t stand rev James!

Do you drink at the half moon too?

Houns

Some bloomin lovely spots!

Stoner I know the Malvern Hills Hotel well, sadly right on the road so too much noise to enjoy a peaceful pint. I do have a quick one in there but save my drinking until I get to the Morgan (handy as near the train station)

Ah yes, I forgot about the Talbot too. Definitely worthy of being on the list

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The Chase Inn is just a mile or so from Malvern Hills Hotel, much nicer IMHO, and fantastic beer garden. Not forgetting the bar billiards if raining…and … Bathams!!!

scotroutes

The Badachro Inn (near Gairloch)

The Old Forge (Knoydart)

Cnoc-na-faire (Arisaig)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/cwJsrS]Whisky[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

(most of my favourites have already been mentioned)

Drac

Still never made it to The Old Forge, my parents were there the other week and said it was as good as it reputation says.

And cheers for the Arisiag one I couldn’t remember it’s name.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Another vote for the Old Forge. One of the finest pints I’ve ever had at the end point of a brutal 5 day c2c. Even better knowing its a fishing boat back home.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Jolly Sailor, Swanwick
    The Rising Sun, Warsash
    The Hampshire Bowman, Dundridge
    The Flower Pots, Cheriton
    Hayling Island Sailing Club,
    Osbourne View, Hill Head
    The Millburrys, Millburys
    The Cricketers, Goldhanger
    The Ferrry Inn, Salcombe
    The Gun, Isle of Dogs
    Thomas Lord, West Meon
    Timble Inn, Timble nr Harrogate

To name but a few…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The view down Loch Linnhe from the Onich Hotel takes some beating IMO. We were in Mallaig last Wednesday, taking a day off from watching the SSDT & promised ourselves that next year we’d get the early train from Ft Willy & hop on the fast boat to Inverie, mooch around, beer/lunch & do the same back to Ft Willy.
    Can’t wait already!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Ferry?

*FLASHBACKS*

jimw
    Free Member

+1for the Badachro Inn. Otter spotting on a sunny evening is always a treat. Full of yachties on a summer weekend though so difficult to get a space
    Turks’s Head on St.Agnes Isles of Scilly takes some beating on a nice sunny afternoon. Excellent local beer too
    The Chase Upper Colwall is within staggering distance of where I live -I have proven this on more than one occasion.
    The Hampshire Bowman brings back memories- do they still have the barrels lined up behind the bar?

ton

i was at the barrel at bretton recently…….awesome view……shyte pub

Houns

My best pint ever was on 5th February this year. Can’t even remember what it was, just know it was stout/dark :

Sat watching the sunset over Skye, snow on the mountains, listening to Otters play

Heaven!

scotroutes

Are you still planning another trip north this summer?

Houns

I would love to, alas with work I may only be able to make the wedding. I’ve only known about it for 3 months and still unable to see if I can book it off!

scotroutes

Ah well – if you want to extend your stay, you know you are welcome!

Houns

Oh I (we) intend to and thank you 🙂

bearnecessities

What a great thread topic!

Symond’s Yat is fantastic – stayed there and got smashed a few time with an ex. Lovely.

The Osborne in Torquay has a nice ‘beer garden’

..and again Torquay, the Cary Arms. Not been for many many years.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Hampshire Bowman brings back memories- do they still have the barrels lined up behind the bar?

Ohhh yes they certainly do also it’s beer festival time 25/27th July 8)

Pieface

The Marisco Tavern, Lundy

jimw
    Free Member

Ohhh yes they certainly do also it’s beer festival time 25/27th July

Drat and double drat, I’ll be in Northumberland then. On the up side will be visiting the Ship Inn at Low Newton again….the Sea Coal is great

The Hampshire Bowman is only about 10 miles from where I grew up, last visited probably 25 years ago

bikebouy
    Free Member

I dare say it’s changed little , which is a good thing.

More:
    The Golden Ball, Ironbridge
    The Boat, Jackfield
    The Malthouse, Ironbridge

Houns

Talking of Ironbridge (good suggestions) I like the Woodbridge inn at Coalport, it has this huge and very friendly fella

scotroutes

If that’s a 29er tyre beside him then he must be huge!!

eaststandlower
    Free Member

+1 for The Brewers as well. Used to be my local when I lived in West Malvern. It burnt down in the early 90s and Nigel Kennedy ( he used to live locally, the Elgar connection and all that) played a benefit in the local church. Brix Smith from The Fall was his bird at the time and she turned up and played as well.

CountZero

A nice little pub with a great view is the Rising Sun up the hill from Lacock. Does good food, great beer from Moles Brewery in Melksham, and the beer garden looks out across to Westbury on the edge of the chalk downland that stretches across Salisbury Plain, and to the south-west as far as the Mendips; you can see the TV transmitter mast above Wells. It’s got the wrong name, really, you can’t see the rising sun, because there’s a big lump of landscape in the way!

jimw
    Free Member

Just realised looking back through the lists, Including the Turk’s Head I put forward, I have been to 20 of the pub’s mentioned. Should I be worried about my drinking?
    Admittedly, lots are from the Malvern area where I now live, Southern Hampshire where I grew up and the West coast of Scotland where I go walking each year

scuttler

Applecross FTW

2300 on an evening in June, day out in the hills with friends, still water with moon reflecting, Skye and a blue horizon fading to black.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The Anchor Inn at Seatown, love summer evenings there 8)

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The Kames Hotel, Kames, and the Oystercatcher in Otter Ferry, both in Argyll. Both lovely spots right on the water but then the midges will leave you with not-so-lovely spots if you spend too long in the beer garden.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Kirkstile Inn

the beer garden looks down the valley

BillMC
    soulrider
    Free Member

three that I forgot yesterday
    The Anchor Inn Kippford, beer is great but the food is a little hit or miss – though it is always busy

The Torridon Inn – beer excellent, food excellent, accom excellent, trails amazing.

I am going to lay my balls on the line with this one – I believe that this is one is a best fit for what Houns asked.

The Glenelg inn – beer is good, food is good, accom good – the location outstanding (and no mobile phone signal!) and the local natural trails are pretty good though I need to do some further exploring.

scotroutes

And it’s in the only town/village in the UK with a palindromic name!

Houns

Any more?

mogrim

The White Cross in Richmond, lovely view of the Thames:

A little further up the river, the White Swan in Twickenham:

botanybay
    Free Member

The Free Trade in Newcastle has the best view of the bridges and the Tyne

Another favourite beer garden is the Beamish Mary in No Place, you can see St James’s Park and the Birtley Angel from the top.

Wish I was there right now.

ell_tell
    Free Member

We spent a few days in Bathampton recently & thoroughly enjoyed the Bathampton Mill, which I think has just been refurbished following the floods. Had a nice garden & outdoor area overlooking the River Avon & the old bridge

http://www.thebathamptonmill.co.uk/home/

purpleyeti
    Free Member

The Three Merry Lads, redmire Sheffield was always a nice once for a post ride/walk beer

Nobby

The Anglers in Walton on Thames – literally right on the river. Last time I was sat outside a chap drew alongside in his boat, passed me a rope and asked me to hold on to it whilst he got out.

The Fighting Cocks in Horton Kirby is great for a post ride beer/nosh and you can lie on the riverbank dangling your toes in to cool down 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Pubs in scenic locations/great views/beautiful beer gardens’ is closed to new replies.