Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Publishing e-books
  • stealthcat

Anyone know anything about this?

My grandfather wrote a book which was published and re-printed a couple of times, but is now out of print, and we’re looking at re-issuing it as an e-book. Permission to reissue won’t be a problem, but are there any pitfalls to watch out for in terms of getting the book out there/costs etc?

And what other questions should we be asking?

(BTW, it was a Singletrack thread that inspired the plan – the book is his autobiography as a pre-NHS doctor…)

mogrim

Free to publish on Amazon, although obviously they take a cut of any sales. Also, I imagine that while copyright will still be yours, you may have to read the small-print carefully about Amazon’s rights to publish to other platforms, create audio books, films etc.

http://socialmouths.com/blog/2011/06/23/get-your-ebook-on-the-amazon-kindle-store/

TPTcruiser

Other outlets are available though Amazon are the dominant player. They also offer print on demand through their CreateSpace platform.
    Lightning Source/Ingram offer routes for print on demand and eBook distribution.
    Calibre software can be used to make your book across a number of formats.
    There’ll be an iPad app too for their book store products.
    Is it straight text or are there pictures, mono or colour?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mogrim

Forgot to ask: who’s the audience? If it’s just for family and friends Calibre (as mentioned by TPTcruiser) would be the easiest option, then distribute by email.

stealthcat

Ideally more than family & friends – most of us already have copies, but it’s something that should have wider appeal (and certainly used to…)

I think the first edition was unillustrated, but the second had some photos in.

I haven’t heard great things about Amazon and POD, so would prefer to avoid that/make sure it isn’t slipped into the small print.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You could always publish it on Wattpad, Figment, or similar sites.

TPTcruiser

The devil you know in the case of Amazon, they do have greater reach than most others. PCPro columnist Kevin Partner has had positive things to say about making a real income.

ampthill

Amazon do a Kindle book on preparing your book for publishing

link

70% of sales sounds attractive

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Publishing e-books’ is closed to new replies.