Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Public sector workers what are your next steps???
  • vondally
    Free Member

given 144,000 will be made redundant?

aa
    Free Member

stand as an mp at the next election.
    Become a real parasite.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Obligingly bend over to facilitate easy shafting ?

bearnecessities

Feeble troll, 0/10.

Any worth their salt will not get into a debate on the internet about their employer, they’re non-political as employees don’t you know?

Or are you hoping for an outpouring of utter panic from public sector; ‘cos that won’t happen, par for the course Sir.

Or maybe you hope it will result in some nasty private/public debate.

Either way, it’s a yawn from me.

withersea
    Free Member

Watch as me and my colleagues get asked to do more, paid less and have less and less certainty about our futures. Lovely, looking forward to it.

vondally
    Free Member

hey bearnercessities not a troll,realistically for a lot of PUBLIC servants it will mean a career change so what are the options when jobs are scant especially in the north

and maybe folk should stand up for the services offered by PUBLIC servants?

bearnecessities

hey bearnercessities not a troll,realistically for a lot of PUBLIC servants it will mean a career change so what are the options when jobs are scant especially in the north

and maybe folk should stand up for the services offered by PUBLIC servants?

Fair ’nuff, benefit of doubt and all that, but your thread title and op smacks of provocation, intentional or not.

If you want to start a debate on the value of PS, then some more effort to sway the thread that way may help.

Anyhow, time to jump out, I don’t like shouty threads and I my spidey senses are already tingling…

(and it won’t mean a career change for a lot, more like a lack of opportunities for those looking for jobs as natural wastage won’t be filled)

scotroutes

Get a job in the private sector?

(there, I’ve said it – that should keep the OP happy for a while).

yossarian
    Free Member

My next steps as a public sector worker? To continue to serve the people of the district to the best of my abilities. I don’t expect any private sector whores employees to understand the concept of serving the community, the party you voted in don’t.

aa
    Free Member

yossarian, well said.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My next steps as a public sector worker? To continue to serve the people of the district to the best of my abilities. I don’t expect any private sector whores employees to understand the concept of serving the community, the party you voted in don’t.

Do your job to the best of your ability for the time you are paid to do it just as any private sector employee would do. In the mean time in your own time write you CV and start looking for jobs.

ninfan
    Free Member

Total UK public sector employment 5.697 million (2013 Q1 figures, source ONS)

144,000 difference is barely a rounding error!

themilo
    Free Member

I cant speak for everyone and wont try.

When I was in the CS (latterly the CSA – sorry!)I did relatively **** all. I didn’t really know it at the time because my exposure to actual work wasn’t sufficient enough to realise that fact.

Leave.

Find something less futile and better paid.

It WILL be harder.

You WILL rise to that challenge.

You will probably be rewarded better.

If you don’t – you are the reason that the CS is shite………….

CaptJon
    Free Member

Browse STW.

El-bent
    Free Member

Do your job to the best of your ability for the time you are paid to do it just as any private sector employee would do.

Live in fear of losing your job, reduced wages, pensions and working terms and conditions. It’s an employers paradise…all voted in by the employees.

Turkeys and Christmas.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 El Bent.

Of course we know the private sector represents the model of efficiency to which we should all aspire. No waste there, no sir.

bearnecessities

[biting] ..and to the OP, you were very quick to defend troll accusation, but you appear to have passed out are too busy to steer the thread to a constructive outcome.

Enjoy your satisfying private sector job, which you clearly must be very happy and secure in! [/biting]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Turkeys and Christmas.

And not least because so many appear to be utterly ignorant of how much the private sector depends on the public sector.

tinribz
    Free Member

Pay freeze cuts are the headline issue not redundancies. What to do about that? Spend less, watch economy shrink, paycut, spend less, economy shrink…

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Who knows what I will do but I will be in Manchester tomorrow with many other ‘enemies of promise’ standing up for standards.

piemonster

Of course we know the private sector represents the model of efficiency to which we should all aspire. No waste there, no sir.

Do you bloody mind, that waste your talking about is me.

piemonster

Makes yet another cup of coffee

mt
    Free Member

Ernie. Aye and it would be helpful to us all if we remembered we all depend on each other. Especially if we showed a little more respect for those paying our wages.

29erKeith
    Free Member

ninfan you’re an accountant aren’t you?

although I agree with the facts in your post
    That’s still 144,000 People! who will be out or work and in hard times, many of which are doing a good job and will no doubt find it hard to find another job.

hopefully the majority will be natural wastage and not too many will be put into sever financial difficulties.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Think I’ll go get a beer and settle in for this one 🙂

It does wind me up how every time we have one of these people trot out the same “Doing it for the people”, “Not in it for the money” and implies that anyone in the private sector is just there to make as much as possible and doesn’t really care.

I feel for those on the front line, working flat out to try and do stuff. In general it’s a lack of direction or organisation that means people are left to work like that. In efficiency terms the biggest waste is talent, if some of these changes mean more of the right people doing the right things rather than stuff they don’t need to do, then all the better.
    Having passed through some ex public sector places there is enough glaring inefficiency and down right lazyness to save a lot of money, that doesn’t mean everyone is at it. A general cull of the coaster and wasters wouldn’t be a bad thing and would probably help a lot of the people left. The only down side is they will never put their hand up to go as they know they are onto a very good thing.

eskay

These kind of ‘redundancies’ are normally achieved through natural wastage (retirement. leavers etc). so it is a bit of a sensationalist headline. The problem is for the ones who remain as they are usually expected to do more work for the same money, usually for an unsympathetic public.

tyger
    Free Member

What would they do if this happened in France? 🙂

Drac

Especially if we showed a little more respect for those paying our wages.

If you say that to me at work you won’t get any respect it’s such a foolish comment.

We’ve been going under a huge review and it’s slowly coming to an end there’s been some rejigging of staff to different locations but everyone has a job. They’ve also created 6 new jobs in my area alone that’s an increase of 50%, guess who gets those staff to look after. 😕

Still I should find out what they’re doing with my role eventually it’s only been 7 years since our review was due. 😀

144,000 job cuts isn’t bad really when you consider the huge number in the public sector I reckon most of those will be swallowed by retirement onto our massive pensions.

Of course I could go for a job in the private sector then spend all day posting on STW like the rest of them complaining about not having a pension and how much hard workers we are then the public sector.

miketually
    Free Member

Pay freeze cuts are the headline issue not redundancies. What to do about that? Spend less, watch economy shrink, paycut, spend less, economy shrink…

Indeed. Guess which sector of the economy I spend my money in. (Hint: it’s not the public sector.)

We’ve had a pay freeze for the last couple of years. That’s cash I would have spent in the private sector.

These kind of ‘redundancies’ are normally achieved through natural wastage (retirement. leavers etc). so it is a bit of a sensationalist headline. The problem is for the ones who remain as they are usually expected to do more work for the same money, usually for an unsympathetic public.

That’s how we’ve been doing it for the last few years.

My job’s (reasonably) secure, but I’ve had a 4% increase in the number of hours I teach, with each class now being bigger because we’ve not been replacing staff as they leave, unless absolutely necessary. However good my intentions or work ethic, that means each student gets less of my time, energy and attention. That means the private sector gets slightly less well educated employees in the future.

binners

I thought the obvious answer would be:

Watch as the bold crusaders of the labour party ride to the rescue. Staunch believers in social justice as ever, they fearlessly rush to defend the rights of workers against a party of millionaires, as they once again punish the poor and the low-paid! Using them as a scapegoat for a crisis caused by their rich friends in the City! Who once again get away with it, completely unaffected!

Oh….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what you need is a proper leftie to sort this mess out

binners

Or maybe a true master of finance, to balance the books….

We really are ****ed, aren’t we?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We also have a spare PM you can have, she is British and everything

samuri
    Free Member

There was a teacher on TV last night saying that now her and her colleagues won’t be guaranteed a pay rise every year, they’ll be voting with their feet. Presumably they’ll be entering a particular sector of private working where people always get pay rises.

Does anyone know which sector she was talking about?

samuri
    Free Member

You’re all British, mike. 😉
    Actually she looks quite attractive there.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

We really are ****ed, aren’t we?

Yep, and left to sleep in the wet patch too!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

samuri – Member – Quote
    You’re all British, mike.
    Actually she looks quite attractive there.

Well I am having just arrived out here, most are descended from a hell of a lot of other places. For balance we could send this one over

Mr Abbot, making even Michael Gove look normal

jekkyl

Public sector workers what are your next steps???

Towards the job centre?

binners

I wouldn’t worry. The private sector is crying out for the kind of thrusting, go-getting, flexible and highly motivated individuals you tend to encounter when dealing with the local council, for example

Northwind

I am going to carry on doing my job. Getting a payrise this year too, because I live in civilisation, with a real government.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Public sector workers what are your next steps???’ is closed to new replies.