Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pub/Hack bike painting
  • bernard
    Free Member

just acquired a hack bike for general shop/camping/dad bike duties etc alloy frame, how bad would it look if I gave it a quick rub down with sandpaper and sprayed it with a spray can? would like it a different colour but if it looks a bit rough so be it, less likely to interest the local scrotes

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you do it properly it’ll look ok. it’ll cost you more than a powder coat though.

if you want to make it rough just get it done.

watsontony
    Free Member

by the time you have sanded bought paint lacquer ect. its pointless doing it your self imo, wear are you based there is a exceolent powder coaters near me in oswaldtwistle, good finish and very cheap, if its a hard tail he will blast and coat for around 35 pounds, he also has a facebook page with his work on the link is https://www.facebook.com/#!/advanced.coatings1

bernard
    Free Member

just curious if all the paint will fall off in a week because it hasn’t been primed etc

turtleheading
    Free Member

I have a trek 1.5 that I use for commuting/pub/town bike its wrapped in black tape, looks shit. Which is ideal. Uglifying I do believe its called.

Northwind

I hammerited mine but yup- quite a lot of work, not particularily cheap, makes no economic sense (I enjoyed doing it though)

bernard
    Free Member

I’ve no intention of doing a ‘proper’ job, i was not even going to strip it right down ie leave the BB and headset in and mask off, quick rub down and spay with a colour least likely to interest the scrotes…..lime green, bright yellow or pink. Anyone know what the least stolen bike colour is? Uglyfying it by covering in insulation tape (green and yellow earth) maybe an option

watsontony
    Free Member

if your doing it i would advise primer and laquor, otherwise the paint will probs just flake off maybe not in a week but within 3 months it will look bad, but thats what your after right? insulation tape dont sound too bad, come in all diffrent coulours, and if u fancy a chance its as simple and adding difftent tape, if i ever get round to buying a pub bike i may tape it up maybe even a stripy effect lol

rogerthecat
    Free Member

cover it in stickers and spray with lacquer – looks different and should last a while

footflaps

I covered my Il Pompino in reflective tape, which makes it practical for winter commuting and highly undesirable to scrotes.

bernard
    Free Member

Think I may have found a winner..chequered reflective tape….maybe not £70 a roll more than the bike cost

zbonty

I got some hammerite gloopy paint on to rust stuff from Halfords.
    Slapped it on my Inbred commuter by hand. Looks well crap.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m going to get a can or two of plasti dip. It’s a sort of rubbery coating you can spray or paint on then peel off when you get bored of it. Not permanent but looks pretty durable. Loads of clips on you-tube, people do whole cars.

plasti dip uk

They do a luminous one too.

MrAgreeable

I Fablon’ed my old hack bike in wood effect. Cost about £5, took an afternoon, looked great and far too bizarre for thieves to bother with.

bernard
    Free Member

found some blue & white chequered reflective tape on flea bay….cheap as a can of paint should do the job.

Northwind

Wish I’d thought of that, good man!

bernard
    Free Member

why did I not think of fablon I could have had a marbled hack bike

MrAgreeable

Fablon actually looks pretty pimpin’ if done right:

MrAgreeable

Here’s my old hack, complete with home-made wooden mudguards and bargain bin wooden grips:

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pub/Hack bike painting’ is closed to new replies.