Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Pub quiz: who has fallen (not literally, necessarily) at the final hurdle?
  • munkster
    Free Member

OK – I am trying to accumulate examples of (probably) sportspeople who have failed at the very last. If they failed whilst winning comfortably even better (for me, not them!)

The only example that really comes to mind for me is Nigel Mansell at the 1991 Canadian Grand Prix who retired on the last lap while waving to the crowd.

Surely the STW collective can come up with a few more examples for me?

Thanks in advance for any ideas…

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

There was a bloke in the walking in the olympics a few years ago who started running in the last few laps and was disqualified

uplink
    Free Member

Dick Francis on Devon Loch

munkster
    Free Member

Cor, two great examples. Don't spose anyone knows how long the walking event was out of interest??

[edit]Found it, I think – Jane Saville at the 2000 20k event 150m from home, ouch!![/edit]

uplink
    Free Member

Dorando Pietri
    Olympic marathon [1908 or 1912]

he was way in the lead but a couple of fellas helped him up when he fell so was disqualified

Harry_the_Spider

Djamolidine Abdoujaparov on the Champs Elysees. Ouch.

uplink
    Free Member

It was 1908 for Pietri

matthew_h
    Free Member

Lindsey Jacobellis at the Turin Winter Olympics. Miles out in the lead of the Boardercross final, styles the last jump only to crash the landing and loses her sure-fire gold medal having to settle for silver. Whoops

munkster
    Free Member

These are great, thanks a million guys! Any more gratefully received but these will work well for what I need them for. 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Whatsisname sending a penalty into the stands at what whas it, the European Cup? Southgate was it?

There was that woman boardercrosser at the last winter olympics who was way out in front, tried to style some big air off the last jump and fell.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Liverpool against Arsenal circa 90/91 shaking hands in the centre circle just before Michael Thomas scored to steal the title.

DenDennis
    Free Member

POOR SAM HILL MAN

probably not known by most pub quizzers but worth it for the commentary alone!

BigJohn

All losing tennis players. And boxers. And darters.

They're within a shot of winning right up to the very last moment.

munkster
    Free Member

Liverpool against Arsenal circa 90/91 shaking hands in the centre circle just before Michael Thomas scored to steal the title.

Good call, cheers!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Could have the year wrong there munkster. Didn't google it.

molgrips
    Free Member

They shook hands before the game was over?

crazy-legs

Caroline Alexander at the Worlds(?) a few years ago, way ahead and basically riding far faster than she needed to and she blew her tubeless tyre up, ripped it to pieces and had to retire.

mefty
    Free Member

Giuseepe Guerini got knocked off his bike by a bloke taking a photo while leading the Alpe D'Huez stage of the Tour de France, got back on and won.

Onzadog
    Free Member

what about those guys in the news today who rowed all the way across the atlantic except for sinking 1 mile from the finish

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They shook hands before the game was over?

No, sorry, I didn't make that clear. Not the Arsenal & Liverpool players, but a few Liverpool players were shaking hands and/or patting one another on the back just before the goal.

theotherjonv

Arsenal / Liverpool was 1989 because the whole nation wanted Liverpool to win for Hillsborough. Apparently.

Caroline Alexander was the Commonwealth games at Rivington. 2002?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I did say I didn't google it!

nickjb
    Free Member

Scotland/Wales at the recent 6 nations

sweepy
    Free Member

I seem to remember a story about a guy running a marathon, in the lead at the official distance but they had moved the line to give a VIP a better view of the finish, He collapsed before reaching the tape,

cant find anything on google about it tho so must have been all a dream.

konabunny
    Free Member

how about the ice skating guy at the winter olympics just now? his opponent had slid out or disappeared or something so all he had to do was cruise to the finish line, and as he skated and waved to the crowd, he skated over the line between the lanes and was disqualified.

or something.

sweepy
    Free Member

Actually it was the guy uplink mentioned that i was thinking of, but i couldnt understand the audio in the clip.

Muke
    Free Member

Didn't Lewis Hamilton snatch defeat from the jaws of victory a few years ago ?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Man United 'v' Bayern Munich in the 1999 European Cup Final.

bruneep
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Pub quiz: who has fallen (not literally, necessarily) at the final hurdle?’ is closed to new replies.