Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • pub ~ lodging A303
  • grynch
    Free Member

Hello, Me and a mate will be driving down to Cornwall in a couple of weeks ( from gawd help me.. Slough ) but it turns out that due to a late booking we can’t get into the cottage we are staying at until the Saturday noon. As I don’t look forward to spending the night.. any night.. any time in Slough can anyone recommend a pub, with good food, good beer, and lodging that doesn’t smell of old dogs somewhere in the vicinity of the A303…. Oh… lets say Taunton (yes yes, I know that’s not A303) area ? ( or anywhere along the route , really if you know a good place… we are driving to Liskeard area )

Thanks,

gusamc
    Free Member

may not be to your taste but you can sometimes get a cheap travelodege room.

(I managed £29 in New Forest)

grynch
    Free Member

to be honest yes I would prefer a nice pub with some nice rooms.. but a travel lodge with a good pub nearby ?.. ya I could cope.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not quite as far West, but the Beckford Arms in Fonthill Gifford is well worth a shout. Also the Lamb or Angel in Hindon.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the George in Mere or it could be the Swan, it's the one just outside the square on the right as you head west

or the excellent Crown Inn, Fontmell Magna

beaker

I can second the Lamb…. it's my local and Mrs B used to work behind the bar when she was younger. Not only that It's less than 5 mins off the A303.

grynch
    Free Member

Thanks… I'll check them out tonight ( if they have web sites that is )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mrs B used to work behind the bar when she was younger

*Rummages around in memory to be sure that there wasn't any barmaid bofffing at the Lamb in my youth….*

beaker

You must've been one of the dirty perverts my missus used to tell me about Cap'n……

soobalias
    Free Member

i would recommend the MildMay Arms in Queen Camel (nr Yeovilton)

but the review site i just found its details on seems to think its closed!

It was a great friendly pub with proper beers, fantastic food and B&B for up to about 10.
    http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/22/22740/Mildmay_Arms/Queen_Camel

grynch
    Free Member

I read somewhere.. maybe CAMRA that there is something like two pubs closing a week these days.

🙁

sharki
    Free Member

10 mins in the wrong direction up the M5 from taunton junction 25 theres the Boat and anchor, nice place, nice food, canal side location.

grynch
    Free Member

thanks sharki.. I'll have a look

any other suggestions anyone ?

apart for short piers and long walks?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if you wanna go posh then the spread eagle inn at stourhead is pretty damn nice, situated in the gardens of Stourhead House which are nice to amble round.

grynch
    Free Member

thanks mr wright.. that place looks great.. I'll make a note of it for me and the mrs. but as this trip is me and a mate I think its OTT.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘pub ~ lodging A303’ is closed to new replies.