Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • PTSD Action Man
  • Sui
    Free Member

there are plenty of operations on going which are defense only, only of other nations which have non-aggression bias. At any one time the British Army has people in advisory roles all over the world advising on defense, so by defacto the last time is now.. its just that you don’t get to hear about these things as they’re not considered news worthy.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep. And they use trained killers to win them.

no need to thank us Darcy 😉
    A disciplined, skilled and obedient military is like a pet bear. You need one because all of your neighbours have one and they have a history of going on rampages. Some have bears which aren’t obedient, and decide to take over. Sometimes the bear is abused and sent to do dodgy shit by morally bankrupt owners.
    Sometimes a bear is required to do more than fight. Maybe the bear is a good medic and goes and treats people in africa with ebola, or helps with natural disasters like hurricane relief or breaks up other bears who are scrapping and ruining countries and lives in the process. That’s a talented bear!
    this trained killer stuff is undeniable, but it’s unhelpful language which suggests that they are a bunch or murderers slathering to go and do some killing, which is just untrue. From personal experience, soldiers are at their happiest when helping people and ending suffering. If noisy stuff has to be done, the obedience kicks in of course.
    Apologies for the shit stream of consciousness bear thing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but it’s unhelpful language which suggests that they are a bunch or murderers

If you think it suggests that…

I, however, suggested no such thing.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

This would be somewhat hard to do with out people prepared to go and kill at there behest.

Well its the politicians who decide to spend the hard earned tax payers cash in maintaining an armed force, or do you know of a self funded army ready to answer the call ?

jamj1974

self funded army ready to answer the call ?

Don’t they do bob-a-job anymore?

cobrakai

This makes me laugh. It reminds me of when I was introduced to my girlfriends best friend a few years back at her 30th. She introduced me to her boyfriend. He worked for the lib dems, member of CND and volunteers for campaign against the arms trade.

He got excited to hear I was an ex squaddie and his first question was, “do you get aloud out at weekends?” He was then surprised to hear that as an electronics technician I was well qualified and not infantry. He didn’t realise that you could do such a job in the army and thought that we were all thugs.

It was at that point I realised that some people really don’t have a clue about the forces including a lot of people on here.

6 years later, we’re good mates.

julianwilson
    Free Member

was then surprised to hear that as an electronics technician I was well qualified and not infantry. He didn’t realise that you could do such a job in the army and thought that we were all thugs.

Indeed, many great non combat jobs in the forces. Hell, you can even be a mental health nurse for them!

Reminds me of an old acquanitance who was once a chef in the marines, although the way he spoke about his service to the crown you would never have guessed that’s actually what he did. His ‘office nickname’ is “Under Seige” 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

ha, we had the only two commando-para chefs (for real) in the army at the time. One got nicknamed Casey, the other didn’t get a piss take nickname because he was hard as nails!
    I was on the commando course with a navy dentist too! He passed (but he did get a VERY easy ride). We were chuffed when he got his lid!

cobrakai

We had a mechanic called Dave who, despite being brilliant at his job, was not the sharpest. His nick name was deefor. In other words, d for dave in case he forgot his name.

Another lad who was quite quiet was called sponsored silence.

rusty90
    Free Member

There was an ACC stripey at Stennelager who’d done P-Coy and wore his wings on his chef’s whites. Rumour had it he could kill a man with a single sausage.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well its the politicians who decide to spend the hard earned tax payers cash in maintaining an armed force, or do you know of a self funded army ready to answer the call ?

What is the point in replying if you are not going to address the point that was made?
    Funding is a side issue you use to avoid addressing the central point made as you did with the previous comment on the same point. Let me make it again 🙄
    Politicians cannot wage war without folk willing to and trained to kill on their behalf. Its why armies exist and its undeniable hence why you wont address it but feel the need to keep replying without actually accepting this blindingly obvious point.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Politicians cannot wage war without folk willing to and trained to kill on their behalf. Its why armies exist and its undeniable hence why you wont address it but feel the need to keep replying without actually accepting this blindingly obvious point.

Address what ?

Frontline soldiers do kill other soldiers in war – fact

In modern wafare many civilians are killed also – fact

Politicians are also willing to pay for/train people to go to war – fact.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I dunno, even being ex-army I find the cadets a bit…….is weird the right word?

Yup, with you in this one..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What are the cadets?

Growing up in Ireland, if someone leaving school went off to the “cadets”, it meant they were off to The Curragh (IIRC) to train to be an officer…kind of like going to Sandhurst or similar. I take it it’s something different here?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What are the cadets?

They sit on a sliding scale somewhere between the scouts and the hitler youth.

🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

What he^^ said.
    They present as some kind of adventure training paradise but they wear uniform, train with weapons and do drill. Whilst I’m sure it would benefit some naughty little shits, teaching marksmanship and fieldcraft to 12 year olds makes even me a bit hand wringey.

yunki
    Free Member

Heh! The irony of someone who chooses the screen name Cobrakai claiming to not be a thug..

I see the IQ in the military is still somewhat lacking 🙂

cobrakai

Do you enjoy fishing?

inbred853

Ahem, LOL, WAR/CONFLICT it’s not pretty but someone has to do it for you so you can ride you bike and have coffee when you’ve finished FFS. Unless you are the all powerful omnipotent being and can change human conditioning I fail see to your point, so let’s all 9 billion or so of us sit down and hold hands until Monday when we all go back to work or not. Yawn….off to bed ❓

Northwind

muppetWrangler – Member

They sit on a sliding scale somewhere between the scouts and the hitler youth.

An ex of mine was in the ATC, just about every story she ever told me was hair-raising. And these were her good stories. Not her words but more or less, “So after the hour long bullying sessions, we got to do a parachute jump, then back in barracks we moved on to the sexual assault!” She looks back fondly, maybe you had to be there.

parkesie
    Free Member

Soldiers fight wars.
    Politicians start wars.
    YOU vote for them!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘PTSD Action Man’ is closed to new replies.