Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Psylos on a spesh big hit
  • astura
    Free Member

Looking to build up a spesh big hit 05 model got some rock shox psylos 130mm travel, would these mess up the geom on the bike or be ok?

alfabus
    Free Member

Quick google suggests that an ’05 big hit was meant for a 170mm fork.

So, yes, those psylos will knacker the geometry.

They are also a bit of a rubbish fork from the pre-SRAM rockshox bad old days. Much better around (even second hand) these days.

Dave

astura
    Free Member

Ok cheers, looks like trying to find some 170mm forks. For cheap

binners

Having owned a set years ago on a light XC bike, I really don’t think you want those on a Big Hit. They’re pretty flexy and prone to blowing seals.

I’d go for something a bit more substantial

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another no from me – I had a set and they were rubbish. Even the bolt through ones flexed like a flexy thing!

The geometry would be screwed up as well. There are loads of longish travel Marzocchi’s on the bay and Pink Bike for sale. They may not be the most sophisticated things, but at least they’ll be tough and won’t make your bike handle badly.

retro83
    Free Member
    PJM1974
    Free Member

As alfabus said, I think you’re barking up the wrong tree with Psylos on a Big Hit. Having said that, I have seen a fellow in london riding a Big Hit with a set of 100mm RST Gila forks that looked like they’d been liberated from a Spesh Hardrock. Yes, it did look ridiculous.

The Psylo wasn’t Rockshox’s finest hour. They have a problem with the plastic internals absorbing damping oil and swelling, making the suspension spike horribly. The only workaround is to drill out the valve to fit, which TF Tuned will do as part of a service. They weren’t overly stiff or reliable either.

Taff
    Free Member

Even with a stiff spring they were rubbish.

mindmap3
    Free Member

My big hit felt much better when running bigger forks. It started life with Jr T’s which were a popular choice but a bit poo. It latter gained a pair of Shivers which I really liked. The best money I ever spent on that bike was getting the the Vanilla TV push tuned; it worked better than the Demo 9 that replaced it.

chakaping
    Free Member

look for a domain 318

alfabus
    Free Member

domain 318 +1

doubt you’ll do better for the price

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Psylos on a spesh big hit’ is closed to new replies.