Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Psychometric testing – to wear a suit?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Got invited for “Psychometric testing and written exercise”

and only those successful at psychometric testing will be invited to interview (at a later date)

So would you wear a suit & tie for the tests, or can I get away with business casual (Trousers, shirt and jumper)?

Gok Wans of STW, please advise me!!

PS anyone experienced this “written exercise” bit? I know what the Psych tests are but have no idea what to expect for the 2nd bit, hope its not creative writing as I am pants at that.

hels
    Free Member

Always wear a suit to any kind of job interview thing. I know it’s only the HR wifie but their view counts.

BigJohn

Not every job hunting meeting is an opportunity to win a job offer.
    But they are all an opportunity to lose one.
    Just assume the top recommender might be there and dress appropriately.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Likely be caried out by a 3rd party so I’d wear what you feel comfortable in.

I’d guess the written exercise will be factual and testing your written communication skilz.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’d refuse to take the test. Or, if I had to, try and confuse the results.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I’d refuse to take the test”

What, you would refuse to do some thing in their selection criteria and then expect them to give you a job?

Suit – You never know who will be there even if run by a 3rd party.

Drac

Suit isn’t always necessary as long as your smart and formal. Your not appearing on The Apprentice.

oblique
    Free Member

might be an in-tray exercise. Google it. Not fun.

Always suit it up

McHamish
    Free Member

A lot of companies have stopped doing these…the results are quite often nonsense.

When I was working for a company as a placement for a year during my degree they used all the student workers (about 30 of us) to try out a consultancy offering these testing.

We then got the results from the tester…apparently I have no ambition and I’m not interested in succeeding. I laughed and asked what he thought I was spending 4 years of my life studying towards a degree for if I had no ambition.

One of the other students was told he wasn’t a physically active individual and wasn’t a team player. This was someone who played Saturday and Sunday league football, and had organised the football team for all the students working at the company.

The HR manager wasn’t shy in telling people that the results were rubbish and they weren’t going to bother with the tests in the future.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it…although they apparently can tell if you’ve tried to ‘beat the test’.

And to answer your question…wear a suit.

CaptJon
    Free Member

“I’d refuse to take the test”

What, you would refuse to do some thing in their selection criteria and then expect them to give you a job?

Of course not.

McHamish
    Free Member

Will you be required to wear a suit for the job?

If you’re reluctant to wear a suit for a few hours on the day of the test, do you really want a full time job when you’ll have to wear one everyday?

donsimon
    Free Member

+1 McHamish follow the dress code of the company.

donks
    Free Member

The suit does depend on its style though…my only suit is a brown Ted Baker wedding suit and looks shite at work so I personally go for a smart shirt tie and trousers. And those tests are awful, they must have been brought over from America. Ive had to do a couple and just cant see what its all about… i actually lost out on a job a year ago on the basis of one of those tests and later found out the person who got it only lasted a few months before the company had to let him go….i was told that the reason they did them was to see if the candidate was likely to fit into the environment and get on with the other employees.

soobalias
    Free Member

if its an office job, suit
    if its not then go for the reflective vest and hard hat option.

hang out anywhere dressed as above and not only will you get paid but you will command more respect than the legit employees.

Cougar

Should you wear a suit? Yes.

Do you want to work for a company who thinks psychometric tests are valuable and useful, that’s the bigger question.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Psychometric testing – to wear a suit?’ is closed to new replies.