Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA(sort of) Cane Creek 110 headset 70% off
  • julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve just taken a punt on one of these.

[edit] i seem to have posted a pic of the 1.5″ one which is not nearly as cheap. But the 1 1/8th ones are indeed £40 in red black and silver.[/edit]

Anyone got one who’d like to advise the rest of us how much of a good deal this is/isn’t?

Only a couple of poor reviews online amidst lots of good ones comparing it to CK but with a better compression ring, (and one was someone rightly moaning that it didn’t come with the spacers pictured on many shop sites), and I was about to drop £40 on something fsa-shaped instead.

Anyway, it might turn out to be a bit of a bargain for us luddites with our conventionally-shaped headtubes.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I picked one up in the sale and it certainly looks well made but I’ve not ridden the bike yet so can’t comment on anything to do with reliability or whatever. It does look very similar to the cheaper CC headsets though (S6 and S8) in terms of the parts used. It has better sealing though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one from CRC too for £29. Silly not to.

As a serial headset destroyer, the only ones I’ve not wrecked are Chris Kings, but this is for my Pitch with 160mm Lyriks on it, so a proper taper ring seems a better idea to me.

We’ll see how it goes….. I tend to hang onto stuff for a while….. I might get to test that warranty out!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Peter, were you one of the ‘chosen ones’? I seem to have paid a tenner more than you for mine… Still, 70% off, mustn’t grumble.

doof_doof
    Free Member

The 110 seems highly regarded on mtbr, esp for longer forks where King can cause problems.

Did anyones 110 come with the full set of headset spacers? Mine only came with the single one that sits on the upper cup.

jools182
    Free Member

seems like a bargain

think it would be any good on a patriot with 160mm lyriks?

peterpoddy – how did you get yours for £29?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Peter, were you one of the ‘chosen ones’? I seem to have paid a tenner more than you for mine… Still, 70% off, mustn’t grumble.

No. But I have a mate that was!

Jools, CRC private members sale. You have to be invited, sadly….

mustard
    Free Member

I was one of the special ones but a bit skint after a 5 weekend month and not paid until tomorrow, so couldn’t get one (too much has gone on teh never never this month already!) or the bars I want 🙁

Will just have to pay the extra.

bol

I was a chosen one and bought one to replace my CK in my new build. Looks nice and although it’s too early to say how it will perform, the signs are good so far.

jools182
    Free Member

ahh, I was invited to the sale but missed the headsets 🙄

beanieripper
    Free Member

Got a black one for 29 quid on the private sale, looks nice, anodising doesnt look as nice as my king but still for 29 quid it looks like cracking value (going on the gf bike) mine just came with 1 small locking spacer that sits on top….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Did anyones 110 come with the full set of headset spacers? Mine only came with the single one that sits on the upper cup.

+1

Only one spacer here too. I’ve written to CRC so we’ll see what they say.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Bought myself a red one, after searching arounf for a while trying to work out what was wrong with them. Why such a discount?

julianwilson
    Free Member

mine arrived the other day, seems very nice indeed for £40 but not for £140.

CRC have now added a nore to the description about how only one version comes with spacers. Mine (silver) came with a 2.5mm one not the stack of them illustrated in other colours.

It also only came with the one brass shim despite the instructions recomending you add or remove the second one to get a balance of ‘well sealed’ and ‘not binding’ on the upper bearing cover. Having ridden it, it is abundantly clear both to me and to other road users (!) that I do need the other/missing brass shim as I either have loose headset or noisy squeaky one with the top bits rubbing/binding.

Hopefully that is the catch.

Anyone got a spare or two knocking around? No one online in UK seems to stock the brass cane creek ones (only found on ebay from USA with £18 postage!) It looks as though the nylon ones you get with hope headsets would work too.

jools182
    Free Member

Do these come with a crown race?

julianwilson
    Free Member

*boom tish*

Diawl
    Free Member

Yes, it comes with a crown race with a nifty seal on it. I didn’t have any shims with mine, possibly because it had come out of its unsealed packaging and all the bits were rattling around in the ridiculously huge box CRC shipped it in, but it’s fitted and working fine with no binding.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I got mine for £29, it is working very well indeed!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA(sort of) Cane Creek 110 headset 70% off’ is closed to new replies.