• This topic has 109 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • PSA/reminder: Dambusters flypast tomorrow (Thursday) Peaks/Ladybower
  • Rich_s

Runway too short with a heavy bomb load?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Can’t believe how many people there were!. And all so friendly, despite some bare faced cheek in the trail choice dept.

Some pics:-

Spitfire looked SOOO much fun to fly. I want one. Tornados – just GRRR. The Lancaster? An amazing enough achievement it ever left the ground, let alone flew to Germany and back on a regular basis – just something very ungainly about it. 2 big brass ones, those aircrews.

Bunnyhop

Thanks for all the photos chaps. Always bring a tear to my eye.

darkcove

Some beautiful images there. We came over from Cutgate to avoid the chaos, bit wet at the top. Took a bit longer than i though so ended up at the north side of Derwent Dam.

Favourite pass was the Lancaster going the “wrong” way. Climbed out above us. Oh the sound, the sound….if that was the last thing I ever heard I wouldn’t feel too short changed.

A moving day, I’ve nothing but admiration for those young lads.

andyxxx
    Free Member

I found it very moving – it has certainly made me pause for thought.

Lucky with the weather. There must have been several thousand people at the dam alone – possibly many more.

Blower
    Free Member

Wish i could have made it. 🙁

Both my grandads flew in Bomber Command one was a Lancaster pilot other in a Halifax..

nice pics.

hora
    Free Member

Some nice pics. V10 are you a pidgeon with a gopro?

Bregante

Awesome pics V10

Kuco

Got a good view of the Lancaster as it went over Iso brook reservoir and came over low where we were working.

nbt

Houns, there’s a shot of the Dam wall in this video, can you see yourself?

To mark the 70th anniversary of the Dambusters air raid on 16-17 May 1943, a series of events is taking place around…

Posted by HM Armed Forces on Thursday, May 16, 2013

(can’t embed as it’s on bloody fartbollocks)

hora
    Free Member

I did a sexwee when the Tornados banked with their afterburner thingies facing us…rrrroooaaarrr!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I took my Mum & Biggles to see the flypast, we were just along the bridlepath alongside Ladybower. Chris and Rich almost ran over my toes as they weaved their way up the track.

The sound of the Spit made the hairs on my neck stand up and covered me in goosebumps – a beautiful noise.

Anyone know what happened to the Hurricane? Biggles was hoping to see it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bugger it can’t get it to load in the window – click this link to see the footage from the Lancaster as it flew over earlier:
    Lancaster Flight

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just watching ‘The Dambusters, 70 years on’ on BBC 2. I keep getting dust in me eyes for some reason.

v10
    Free Member

Hora – possibly in a previous life! Just got lucky that he had some serious bank on as he went over me!

Love that 3rd one Jon 🙂

simonm
    Free Member

Simply Awesome. Rode in from Sheffield up Foulstone road (urgh) Cheeky slow an courteous ride over Derswent edge to watch from Whinestone lee torr.

Fantastic to watch them fly past below you.. Moving and made me so proud.

great pics above.

duncan

Best lunchbreak ever, very glad I got to see this.

Some great photos on here, thanks to all for posting.

brokensoul
    Free Member

Me and the wife enjoyed it, great spectacle. There’s some good photos, folks, well done.

brokensoul
    Free Member

Mine were only taken on a compact camera.

P1010079 by Chip & Manda, on Flickr

Vortexracing

I helped build that Spitfire !!!

mintimperial

Video what I took today:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNRUBvkPwxM[/video]

It was an awesome thing to see, it’s a big old bird that Lancaster…

granny_ring

Great pics guys.

amodicumofgnar

Love the pics, makes up a bit for not being able to get down.

midlifecrashes

Great day today. My birthday too. There were some big old lenses out to play but I only have the standard kit lens on my camera. Maybe that’s next year’s birthday list sorted.

Parked on Mortimer Road and hiked over the moor to Derwent via Foulstones. Huge crowds, really great atmosphere, everybody chatting as we walked over. Bigger crowds on the hills than when there’s a big charity walk on.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Had to go to London last night, so here’s one more (crap phone) pic:-

Whilst riding your bike to go and watch old planes fly over resevoirs is undoubtedly a cool thing, the ability to do so is partly down to the 55000 bomber command airman who lay down their lives.

(The guy who’s surname I carry was a tailgunner in a Pathfinder squadron. No, he didn’t make it back.)

Houns

Some of mine. Not the best due to location but was great being bang under them

Bomb doors open

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for posting, wonderful images I cannot imagine how emotional it must have been to see it live.

hora
    Free Member

For me it was the Tornados together banking left turning their afterburners? Towards me as they passes the hill. The heat haze/noise made me involuntarily laugh loudly 😀

Southport airshow with hora jnr next 🙂

Pook

your riding makes me involuntarily laugh loudly

hora
    Free Member

Dont make me wheel out the Trail Top Gun pun again!

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘PSA/reminder: Dambusters flypast tomorrow (Thursday) Peaks/Ladybower’ is closed to new replies.