• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • psa:papillion just starting on bbc 2
  • ajf
    Free Member

brilliant book, made even more amazing being a true story.

never seen the film but meant to be a classic, steve mcqueen and dustin hoffman

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Papillon is a one of the very few books/novels I have ever read (it was given to me and I was bored at the time). The story of how a convicted murder and self-confessed paedophile, presumably made large amounts of money from a book, is indeed an amazing one.

Although the accuracy of the 'true story' is somewhat in doubt :

According to its author, Papillon is an autobiographical novel. It is not actually true—all the events and jails which he describes do not correspond to the supposed time frame. In reality nowadays it is at best regarded as a narrative novel, depicting the adventures of several of Charrière's fellow inmates, among them Charles Brunier. Thus, Papillon is more about a fictional character than the real man who was the author. Charrière had a reputation as a great fantasizer and storyteller

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

ajf
    Free Member

Papillon is a one of the very few books/novels I have ever read (it was given to me and I was bored at the time). The story of how a convicted murder and self-confessed paedophile, presumably made large amounts of money from a book, is indeed an amazing one.

Although the accuracy of the 'true story' is somewhat in doubt :

According to its author, Papillon is an autobiographical novel. It is not actually true—all the events and jails which he describes do not correspond to the supposed time frame. In reality nowadays it is at best regarded as a narrative novel, depicting the adventures of several of Charrière's fellow inmates, among them Charles Brunier. Thus, Papillon is more about a fictional character than the real man who was the author. Charrière had a reputation as a great fantasizer and storyteller

well that pi55ed on my chips.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Penrod Pooch

😆 😆 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

well that pi55ed on my chips

🙁 Sorry mate

…..still a good 'story' though 😀

ajf
    Free Member

Sorry mate

…..still a good 'story' though

Too late now, ruined the film for me 😥

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now I've got heavy burden of guilt on my shoulders ……..and on Good Friday and all 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

Still a cool film IMO

GW
    Free Member

Never read it but it was my favourite film as a kid.

ajf
    Free Member

Now I've got heavy burden of guilt on my shoulders ……..and on Good Friday and all

Sure you will have got over it! 😉

Still a good film.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘psa:papillion just starting on bbc 2’ is closed to new replies.