Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • PSA…Chromecast audio £15 at Currys again…
  • DrP

I’ve been checking prices regularly as since getting the first one I’ve been so impressed, and wanta multi room set up now!

So blow me… Dropped back to £15 again at Currys..3 ordered…

Just thought I’d let you know…

DrP

Stoner
    Free Member

ta
    ordered

riddoch

You bad man, I don’t need a fourth for a speaker I haven’t bought yet. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

What is a Chromecast audio please? I have the original one so what’s the difference? Thank you. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

audio phono output rather than HDMI.
    marry it to a powered speaker, and you have internet radio/spotify streamer/google music system in the kitchen etc.

DezB
    Free Member

C-G: It plugs into your stereogram (rather than HDMI) so that you can stream music to it.
    Saves running a lead from your laptop to the stereogram.
    Only problem is, not all music playing apps are compatible, so check the one you use is before buying.
    I’ve got one, but haven’t found it very useful really. It hangs there out the front of my stereo, just us ugly as if I just had a phono lead there – And the Chromecast has to be plugged into the mains all the time. And sometimes it doesn’t work when you want it to, which can be quite annoying.

(I’m sure others have found it fantastic and completely reliable – Which is why I posted that, for some balance, not to get into an argument about it being the best thing since sliced …etc.)

Stoner
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

hanging danlgy lead things off stereos is a bit shit, but I have a corner out of the way where I can permanently power with USB charger both the speaker and chromecast.

It would look a bit unsightly if I couldnt

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Stoner and Dez. I don’t think it would work with my separates as the amp is over 30 years old so input/output unsuitable.

For a moment I became excited at the thought of playing Youtube music vids through my speakers!

Stoner
    Free Member

amp is over 30 years old so input/output unsuitable

you can connect to any amp that has RCA or phono inputs.

You can get a phono to RCA cable for pennies.

RCA for big old amps:

Phono to RCA

or phono to phono for more up to date hardware.

Its definitely the way to play youtube audio over hifi

cinnamon_girl

Thank you Stoner, shall take a look at the system.

molgrips
    Free Member

It takes batteries, doesn’t it, as well as being USB powered?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Chromecast is USB power only and annoyingly old iPod docks I’ve tried don’t supply enough power to run one so a separate USB power supply is required

Stoner
    Free Member

it doesnt take batteries

dannybgoode

@CG – if your stereo has standard RCA plugs (which unless it’s Naim kit it should do) the a simple 3.5mm to RCA lead is all you need and it will work fine

v8ninety

Thanks (I think, lol) for the PSA. I’ve just bought one of these even though I have no idea whether I will use it. It’s got lots of positive reviews and feedback though, so I expect I’ll be able to utilise it in my home. And £15 is not a great deal of dosh at all these days.

DezB
    Free Member

C_G – you’ll be pleased to know the Youtube is Chromecast Audio compatible.
    As is Google Chrome (natch), so you can cast any audio out of a Chrome browser window.

ruddy
    Free Member

Napster is also chromecast compatible

hb70

I have a logitech bluetooth adaptor running into my 20 year old decent hifi system at the moment enabling me to play google music/soundcloud from my phone. What does Chromecast audio give me that that does not? Better quality? Better range? Or much of a muchness. thanks

Rubber_Buccaneer

Better quality and better range. Bluetooth tends to cut out if you stray too far but the chromecast will continue playing so long as it is on the wifi network. If streaming you could turn your phone off and it would keep going

hb70

Super thanks.

PJ266
    Free Member

A fortuitous PSA as I was about to punt 30 quid on one, many thanks OP.

nickjb
    Free Member

Is there a good android app for playing music from a network drive to a chromecast? Preferably something that keeps the folder layout rather than relying on id tags

cinnamon_girl

Appreciate you chaps being so patient. 😀 Do I need to spend £15 on a Chromecast Audio cable or can they be bought cheaper please? If so a link would be terrific.

Dez – I can get Youtube on my tablet but sound is dreadful, sounds better from the PC as it has a sub.

riddoch

Two things to note with chromecast, if you are connecting to an amp there is a setting to enable full dynamic range.
    Secondly it also has a optical output built into the phono port, May need an expensive proprietary cable though.

riddoch

It comes with a short phono Jack to phono Jack cable in the box, I’ve replaced them with other cables as my speakers didn’t work reliabley with, needed a bit of a wiggle now and again.

Stoner
    Free Member

CG – if your amp needs RCA, buy one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-GOLD-Stereo-3-5mm-Jack-to-2-RCA-Twin-Phono-Cable-RCA-Lead-Black-New-1m-/120953216161?hash=item1c295f9ca1:g:zboAAOSwbwlXA4YC

if you ramp has a phono aux input (possibly unlikely, but I cant see from this far away) then you can use the cable that comes in the box.

cinnamon_girl

OK, have had another look and it would seem that in order to use the ‘phono’ (that has to mean amp) the two CD player leads (L and R) would need to be removed. The other sockets are for separate tuner, non-existent turntable and 2 for non-existent tape player.

Stoner – no phono aux input, see above.

Is now bewildered. 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

The other sockets are for separate tuner,

use the RCA leads into that

take a photo.

Rubber_Buccaneer

two CD player leads (L and R) would need to be removed.

Don’t remove these, you want to play your CDs

The other sockets are for separate tuner,

You can use these

non-existent turntable

DON’T use this, it is ONLY for turntables as they need non linear amplification

and 2 for non-existent tape player.

That will be an in and out for playing and recording, you could use the in if nothing else is available.

I’m sure I have a cheap 3.5 to RCA lead kicking around. If you are buying a chromecast email me your address and I will stick it in an envelope.

Rubber_Buccaneer

optical output built into the phono port, May need an expensive proprietary cable

Not proprietary, you can get one in Richer Sounds or elsewhere, probably even Currys PC World do them

cinnamon_girl

Stoner
    Free Member

knockout.
    Tuner L&R with RCA plugs from the phono to RCA lead that Rubber Bucaneer will send you, or you can buy from my ebay link above.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, Tuner, or (if you took out the tuner leads to take the photo (possible!)), the TAPE 1 input is also RCA.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Thanks, OP. Had been waiting for these to get cheap again after missing out last time.

toby1

Well I’ve just ordered 2, 1 to enable streaming on my ageing (possibly soon to be replaced AV amp).

And one for the bedroom stereo.

If it doesn’t work flawlessly for my wife though I will send her your way DrP!

philb88
    Free Member

Anyone know if these are available in store?

nickjb
    Free Member

You can certainly reserve for immediate collection if your store has them in stock. All my local ones do. No reason you won’t get that price but if there is a different store price just reserve on your phone.

cp

you can order online & collect in store

DaRC_L

Thanks DrP – not sure if it will work off the Zeppelin but I’m sure I can find a use elsewhere

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘PSA…Chromecast audio £15 at Currys again…’ is closed to new replies.