Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA: xt shadow PLUS med and long available at merlin
  • foureyes
    Free Member

Pretty sure this wasn’t in stock even yesterday, couldn’t bear waiting for SLX so got me a medium XT and looking fwd to trying it out. Price is an early bird worm chomping £74 which looks ok next to xtr 😉 and bound to come down in the end.

Wozza
    Free Member

Clicky

Does this work with 9 speed?

Edit: Sheldon he say no.

Shimano “Dyna-Sys” 10-speed shifters and derailers use a longer cable pull than other Shimano models, and must be used together.

cooie

£74 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only £68 at winstanleys.

Does this work with 9 speed?

No

honourablegeorge

The XTR is 145 Euro on Rose Bikes (205 Eur on CRC, for comparison)

foureyes
    Free Member

TINAS nicer! and below another mental price threshold, although tricky to find without the m786 code darn it!

foureyes
    Free Member

out of interest, can you get clobbered by royal mail for charges when stuff comes from rose bikes or b1kecomp0nents. de ? got stung a couple of times from the US and it’s put me right off

Northwind

Nope, no duties on EU sales.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TINAS nicer! and below another mental price threshold, although tricky to find without the m786 code darn it!

That’s how I found them RD-M786 into google shopping.

I’m waiting for Rose or someone to sell them a little cheeper, probably not by much but I ‘need’ two as I’ve one bike still waiting to upgrade from 9s and I always like to keep a spare mech and hanger so the other MTB can donate it’s normal shadow mech as a spare.

packer
    Free Member

What’s the difference between SLX and XT rear mechs these days? Shadow+ or otherwise. They look almost identical, weigh almost identical, but SLX is a good bit cheaper…

PaulD
    Free Member

XT has proper jockey bearings (ceramic upper and cartridge lower) whereas SLX has cheapo bushes that ultimately give poor shifting even if the teeth have not disappeared.
    There used to be a significant weight difference down to XT having an alloy cage and SLX having steel, but not checked with 10-sp.

I will remain XT or XTR and leave SLX alone.

PaulD

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for the psa. Ordered yesterday and already dispatched, should be sorted for France 🙂

Oh, and only £72 with TCB.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

how much for an XT? jeez i’m so out of touch, stuff really has gone up has’nt it.

Murray

Is there any change to the 2013 XT cranksets?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is there any change to the 2013 XT cranksets?

SLX you mean? XT was new this year and the changes were mainly cosmetic with a little weight saving as 10 speed came mid life-cycle. There’s an option for a propper double on the XT now too.

how much for an XT? jeez i’m so out of touch, stuff really has gone up has’nt it.

I remember XTR mechs being £95 in halfords in ’97 so I’ll assume you’re being ironic 😛

Ladders
    Free Member

Are their any dis-advantages to running a shadow plus mech?

fbk
    Free Member

Not sure. I’ll tell you in a few weeks 😉

Only ones I can see in theory are slightly heavier shifting and a bit more of a faff to remove wheels. Oh, and the enevitable sinking feeling halfway down a run when you’ve forgotten to engage the mech 🙂

jam-bo

do you not just leave it engaged all the time?

dickie
    Free Member

I believe you turn it off to take out the wheel.

brassneck

whereas SLX has cheapo bushes that ultimately give poor shifting even if the teeth have not disappeared.

Is this a 10 speed thing? I have an ancient LX mech with ninja star jockey wheels which still shifts OK. Though I’m not the most demanding of customers.

PaulD
    Free Member

That old LX probably had the ceramic self-aligning jockey a la XT.
    Ninja stars still engage the chain…I have seen others where you could not count the teeth.

Seems 10-sp uses bushes on XT and SLX as OEM….I would swap for cartridge bearings immediately and not wait for the failure.
    No plans to go 10-sp for a few years anyway as I have lots of 8 and 9-sp stuff in stock.

PaulD

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

and the enevitable sinking feeling halfway down a run when you’ve forgotten to engage the mech

Surely with the clutch off it’ll just be ‘normal’ i.e. not run ending, just less good.

fbk
    Free Member

tinas – you’re right, but the knowledge that the extra cash spent is wasted by my absent-mindedness will be frustrating 🙂

twelveski
    Free Member

Does anyone know if ten speed mtb cassettes are the same spacing as road ones?

Superficial
    Free Member

Merlin are also selling the XT 785 chainsets for £120 ish which struck me as a pretty good deal.

I haven’t checked elsewhere, so I might be talking crap.

singlespeedstu

Merlin are also selling the XT 785 chainsets for £120 ish

They seem to be a bit more than that?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/chainsets-mtb/shimano-m785-xt-10-speed-double-chainset.html

neninja
    Free Member

Merlin are also selling the XT 785 chainsets for £120 ish which struck me as a pretty good deal.

I haven’t checked elsewhere, so I might be talking crap.

Are you sure? The M785 chainset is more like £155 at Merlin, it’s last years M770 that is £120.

Edit – someone has spotted it already.

Superficial
    Free Member

Oh, apologies – I just saw the email which I misread. That being said I reckon the M770s look nicer. I bought my M770s for £80 when they were brand new. Now that’s a bargain in today’s money.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Road 10 speed cassettes are 1mm more narrow than MTB ones. But I don’t know anyone who can index their gears to 0.1 of a mm.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anybody received these yet?

STATO
    Free Member

Road 10 speed cassettes are 1mm more narrow than MTB ones. But I don’t know anyone who can index their gears to 0.1 of a mm.

Is that not just the cassette width tho? I thought the spacing was the same. You have to add a 1mm spacer to 10spd road cassettes when fitted to 9spd hubs, as shimano originally developed a special 10spd cassette body, which never really took off.

fbk
    Free Member

Anybody received these yet

Mine arrived this morning. Top merlin service again. Fitted it but not ridden yet.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Are there any wearing parts in the clutch?
    Any downside to leaving it always engaged?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘PSA: xt shadow PLUS med and long available at merlin’ is closed to new replies.