Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • PSA – World Cup DH at Windham 7.30pm TODAY
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

sur une autre planète

Are you suggesting what I think you’re suggesting….?

🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

😉

Had a few average results in 2008, then went away for two years and came back and won everything in 2011, and then dominated ever since? Sound familiar? Next you’ll be suggesting Gwin didn’t initially reach his full potential because of some parasitic illness.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m kidding btw.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another stunning win. Just a pity the coverage didnt show the top half of the course so we could see where the time was made and lost.

Red Bull, more great coverge – thanks from me

nemesis
    Free Member

The next s step in v coverage will be a automatically panning cameras. Then we’ll be able to superimpose different riders’ runs over each other and see where the gain and lose time.

To CFH’s point, I suspect that’s it but you could say the same about track cycling. The difference I reckon is that DH isn’t Olympic but also that it looks a bit easy/rubbish on TV

jimjam
    Free Member

What an awesome race. I’d love to know what Brosnan could have done without a crash. I might even watch that again, which I think I haven’t done since that Val d’Isère race in 2012.

ferrals
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Well, primarily because it’s a tiny, insignificant minority sport, enjoyed by a tiny, insignificant minority of the population.

Even so, things like judo get lots of coverage because we have someone decent and aren’t exactly majority sports. I think the non Olympic might be a good point.

Re. Superficial jest.
    I did wonder after all the furores over doping in the tdf whether any xc/dh World Cup guys were doing it. I’m guessing the minority aspect probably makes it unlikely

edward2000
    Free Member

Gwinns qualifying run was faster than everyone else’s race run so it seems pretty certain he was going to win when he left the start gate.

Incredible to watch though, the man is on another level

jimjam
    Free Member

ferrals

Even so, things like judo get lots of coverage because we have someone decent and aren’t exactly majority sports. I think the non Olympic might be a good point.

Judo is one of the biggest participant sports in the world.

ferrals

Re. Superficial jest.
    I did wonder after all the furores over doping in the tdf whether any xc/dh World Cup guys were doing it. I’m guessing the minority aspect probably makes it unlikely

XC and Enduro racers have been caught. It’s probably safe to assume that there will be some in DH doing everything they can to get an advantage.

shifter
    Free Member

Thanks for this PSA. I think this, and the MsA one, has got me hooked. No problem watching on the slaptop.

chakaping
    Free Member

XC and Enduro racers have been caught. It’s probably safe to assume that there will be some in DH doing everything they can to get an advantage.

Indeed, but unless there’s a product that can help with nerves and mental focus then I guess there’s less of a payoff for doping in DH.

On a related note, I wonder if we’ll see more racers bulking up for next season to try to hold the kind of lines Gwin takes?

ferrals
    Free Member

Easy to get hooked on the dh, it’s good viewing. Maven my other half looks forward to it. Sadly I can’t get her interested in the xc which is my main interest. Been great having them in the evenings the last couple of weekends

Edit. In response to shifters comment.

jimjam
    Free Member

chakaping

Indeed, but unless there’s a product that can help with nerves and mental focus then I guess there’s less of a payoff for doping in DH.

Yeah, that’s the old argument, but these guys are professional athletes and the sums of money at the top are not to be sniffed at. Sam Hill’s Monster Sponsorship alone is rumoured to be in the region of £50kpa. If they are cycling 4-5 times a week on top of weights sessions, plyometrics, etc etc the ability to recover more quickly would be a huge advantage.

Same thing with injury. DH riders are pretty much plagued by them, it’s the nature of the sport, p.e.d.s can certainly help speed recovery.

Sure, all the steroids in the world won’t make me ride like Aaron Gwin, but if you have two riders of equal skill, and one of them has 10-15% more stamina to the sprint on the last section of a DH course after 3 or 4 minutes of a DH run then that’s going to be a huge advantage.

Bas Rutten (UFC legend) always says “steroids won’t help your chin” ie. in fighting you can still knock a man out regardless of what he’s been taking. The flipside is though that the more alert/fitter fighter can see a shot coming, react more quickly, land shots more accurately and take more punishment. In DH if you’re tired towards the end of a run, it’ll affect your focus and cause mistakes. Maybe going a bit ot, but it’s interesting.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes I had been thinking along the lines of recovery and/or pre-season training.

I’ve previously voiced my idle suspicions about certain racers privately, but it would be grossly unfair (and probably libelous) to repeat them here.

😉

maxtorque

edward2000r
    so it seems pretty certain he was going to win

I’m not sure anything is certain in DH! The line between Hero and Zero is vanishingly small, especially on a dry dusty track where the levels of grip and roughness literally change between runs. For reference, see Brannigans race run 😛

edward2000
    Free Member

^ Agreed, all he had to do was hold on. I said to myself if he doesn’t crash he’ll win

chakaping
    Free Member

Another pressing question – what was going on with Warner’s beard attempting to cover most of his face?

Is growing your beard halfway up your cheeks “a thing” now?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘PSA – World Cup DH at Windham 7.30pm TODAY’ is closed to new replies.