Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA: Warning about Ebay-sourced climbing harnesses
  • martinhutch

Thought I’d share this as I know some people on here are into their climbing as well, or might be considering buying kit for themselves or their kids to use on indoor walls.

Personally wouldn’t buy harnesses etc from Ebay, but if you might consider it, or perhaps you have already, have a look at this thread which has popped up on UKClimbing.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=637236

Looks like harnesses that have been scrapped and cut apart are being restitched, god knows who by, and sold on. There appear to be dozens of these already out there.

Not sure I’d want to be testing that stitching by taking any kind of fall on it.

aracer
    Free Member

Me neither – nor anything else soft.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I buy loads of shitboff flea bay, but climbing gear? Nope.

martinhutch

I agree, the majority of climbers wouldn’t touch that listing with the proverbial barge pole, but could easily be a relatively inexperienced person just starting out who wouldn’t notice that repair until he/she takes the first lob on it and it rips apart.

The level of ‘testing’ on the repair just illustrates how little the repairer and the vendor know about the forces generated in even small falls.

GregMay
    Free Member

Not a flipping chance I’d go near that.

Cougar

That’s terrifying.

I can’t help but wonder whether the harnesses have been cut intentionally in order to prevent their use due to some other flaw that might not be immediately obvious? That’d concern me more than any repair.

fasthaggis

That is nuts.
    Why would anyone ever think that was a good thing to do,then sell on? 😯

natrix
    Free Member

Why would anyone ever think that was a good thing to do,then sell on?

So that they can make a quick buck 👿

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Not only that even if it’s new it could be fake!

aracer
    Free Member

Oh heck – I’d not even paid proper attention to that. I like my climbing kit to be rated for 2200kg, not less than 10% of that – I’m sure I’ve put way more than 190kg through my harness in a fall!

As you say, the lack of understanding of the forces involved is even more concerning – I’d not want to be using one of those even in a situation with just static forces.

andyl
    Free Member

tested to 120kg – sounds like they just get some fat bugger to wear them and hand off a chain from a roof beam or something.

Absolutely abysmal and a sad reflection of what people will do for a quick buck. Ebay and the like are no where to buy any safety equipment unless you can be 100% sure its from a legitimate source eg a bricks and mortar show you know uses it as a marketplace.

Look how much fake stuff is sold through amazon.

pk13

120 kg of drop force or a tubby git sitting on a swing. Because 120 kg drop force is bugged all 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did it get reported? Generally the reason for cutting soft stuff is to make it unusable due to it being not safe to start with.

Generally I treated most climbing gear like pants, not something you would buy used.

natrix
    Free Member

The seller has now removed them from sale and is contacting all purchasers with an offer of a refund…………….

Coyote
    Free Member

Hopefully he’s had a change of heart and the recall not caused by an accident…

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s two things you never scrimp on, harnesses and climbing rope. Neither should be sourced from eBay or secondhand.

GregMay
    Free Member

100% agree.

martinhutch

Hopefully he’s had a change of heart and the recall not caused by an accident…

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2016-04-07/suffolk-trading-standards-seize-over-100-unsafe-harnesses/

zilog6128

well done whoever grassed him up!! Sounds like he only had a “change of heart” after being spoken to by Trading Standards.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Warning about Ebay-sourced climbing harnesses’ is closed to new replies.