Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PSA: Wallander on BBC1 @ 9pm
  • geoffj

Beautifuly shot and decent ish writing.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Though it appears much higher budget, the Swedish originals are way better I reckon. Swedish dialogue simply doesn't translate into English well, not sure whether they tried to stick too closely to the originals in that respect. I don't think the casting and the language really 'match' the landscape or atmosphere like the originals do, there's something pretty incongruous about it all in my opinion. Still, well shot as you say.

ourmaninthenorth

Have a listen to the Front Row highlights podcast with the Branagh interview. It gives a bit of insight into why they are different (he has never seen either the original or or more recent Swedish versions).

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I like the Swedish ones, just wish it wasn't on so late at night. I did get thinking that the episodes could've been a bit shorter though.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I just watched the last half hour.

Not bad but I can't see why you would watch it rather than the Swedish originals. Unless you can't read I guess.

plant
    Free Member

The cinematography is superb – in my opinion

Stoner
    Free Member

OK, but nothing like as good as the Svensk Film Industrie ones.

Im waiting for the new series from them/

plant
    Free Member

I just can't do subtitles and I'm too thick to cope with anything but English. Even over-dubbing spoils the whole experience for me, so I have really enjoyed the Wallender programs because of the story, and the camera work – beautiful scenery!

And shock horror – a couple of wind turbines right next to the town. We would never allow that!

bullheart
    Free Member

'Tis very, very slick

hels
    Free Member

I too prefer the Swedish version, much more grim, and Wallander is more believable e.g. uglier, KB just too good looking.

How about the Grim Fest when Stefan shot himself ?? And in a weird echo the actor who lays Linda in the Swedish one also killed herself recently, so they are in a flurry of recasting and Mankel is having to reconsider his stratgy as she was meant to take over as main character when KW eventually retires.

Sandwich

The Grim fest was Christmas Eve which was strange scheduling. Both versions are good, the BBC for the cinematography, the Swedish one for the realism.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Wallander on BBC1 @ 9pm’ is closed to new replies.