Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA – Tornado – The 100mph Steam Engine
  • beamers

Currently on iplayer – Linky

The new A1 class steam engine Tornado tries to achieve 100mph on the main line. The secret speed attempt will be made in the dead of night. If it tops the ton it will be the first time in 50 years steam has gone this fast. Tornado was built over two decades and financed by enthusiasts who want to show steam has a viable future on Britain’s railways

Great bit of TV that.

Swelper
    Free Member

Excellent viewing. Watched it on local BBC. The only peppercorn class in existence if I recall correctly

cotic853
    Free Member

An unusually sensibly made documentary for a change, no unnecessary dramas or juvenile commentary

Poopscoop

Downloading,
    Thanks for the heads up op!

njee20
    Free Member

The only peppercorn class in existence if I recall correctly

Peppercorn was the designer, it’s an A1, but yes, none of the original 49 A1s were preserved, part of the reason they chose one for the modern build.

Rich_s

An unusually sensibly made documentary for a change, no unnecessary dramas or juvenile commentary

…or endless **** backing “mood” music!

Thanks OP.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Excellent documentary, saw it last week.
    If only I’d known I’d have popped to Thirsk as it went through!

zokes
    Free Member

Great!

Edukator
    Free Member

What with this back-to-fifties, put-the-GREAT-back-in-Britain, jobs-for-Brits, climatic-change-is-a-hoax vibe going through British society there has to be a market for hundreds of those. I’m surprised the DM isn’t sponsoring the project (or is it?).

I would genuinely have enjoyed watching the vid but the BBC doesn’t let foreign types watch.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Thanks OP – enjoyed that 😀

slowoldman

financed by enthusiasts who want to show steam has a viable future on Britain’s railways

Erm? Are we reopening the mines post Brexit?

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I’m not sure that’s what it shows, but hey ho. Certainly interesting and well produced. It helps being the BBC that it’s not punctuated with advert breaks each preceded by “after the break” and followed by a “recap”

seadog101

Have to look at this when I get home, thanks!

I went to see it during its build in Darlington. When you see the renovated steam loco’s nowadays they look a bit roughed up, as you’d expect. As this was built up from new it looks amazing, really smart machine. Not surprised it managed 100mph!

If you get the chance go to the Museum in Darlington, near where it was built Head Of Steam.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Tornado – The 100mph Steam Engine’ is closed to new replies.