Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • PSA: The Untold Battle of Britain – Channel 4 now (worth watching on +1)
  • binners

Documentary about the Polish 303 squadron who faught in the battle of Britain. They were all mad as a box of frogs, but bloody effective. Fascinating and stirring stuff

Its well worth a viewing on channel 4+1 in ten minutes. Unless your bothered about missing Big Brother

Tally ho

Houns

+1

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. The "Few" were augmented by the even fewer, the utterly brave and devoted Polish pilots.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn….

stumpy01

Excellent. Thanks for that – have set it to record.

grahamt1980

Very impressive, shame (understatement of the millenia) how it ended up with russia

igm

BNP speaking out against Poles and adopting Spitfire as emblem.

Poles 1 – BNP 0 I think

JulianA
    Free Member

Excellent, fascinating and sad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

igm, said Spitfire was from one of the Polish squadrons…

2-0 to Poland!

igm

Bloody nora CFH, we really need a better class of racist git don't we?

binners

Racist Bigot in 'Not Being Very Bright' Shocka!

igm

Fair point – note that as a Scot in Yorkshire I have to be in favour of immigration, otherwise I would have to deport myself.

And yes, I'm an economic migrant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

we really need a better class of racist git don't we?

No. We do not. We do not need any racist gits.

igm

Another fair point. But if we have to have them…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No, if we have to have them then by all means lets keep the sub-moronic ones we already have.
    We certainly don't need subtle, clever & above all effective racists now do we?

jahwomble
    Free Member

Polish Pilots were generally more experienced than the majority of others serving under the umbrella of the RAF, as they'd already fought in Poland and France before the bob even began.

Unfortunately, at the end of the war,to avoid annoying Stalin, out of228,000 Polish servicemen, only one Polish squadron (303) was allowed to march in the Victory parade through London, although on the grounds that all other Polish units had been barred from attending, they refused to march.

My grandfather was in 315 City of Deblin, and many Polish airman and crew were repatriated forcibly to Poland and generally treated like s**t by the British authorities.

Even During the war the British government informed General Sikorski that at the end of the war, Poland would be charged for all costs involved in maintaining Polish forces in Britain. If you are anywhere near Northolt, the Polish Airman's memorial is well worth a visit.

I've not actually watched it yet however,recorded it for tomorrow.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Enoch Powell was fluent in eight languages, I'll let you know.

Mind you, he only learnt Urdu because he had deluded himself into believing that he would become Viceroy of India. So that was pretty stupid 😀

wee-al
    Free Member

B'stard, missed it!

igm

muddydwarf – Member
    No, if we have to have them then by all means lets keep the sub-moronic ones we already have.

Now that I come to think about it, yep you're right.

votchy
    Free Member

Really good program, pity we don't teach the 'whole' story to our siblings, those taking GCSE History are all under the illusion that it was English pilots that won the 'Battle of Britain' when the real story involves pilots from all over the world. Really sad to see the way these heroes were treated at the end of the war. For those that missed it it is available on channel 4 on demand, channel 4's web page, worth watching.

nickc

Let's not foget either the contributions from pilots from other countries as well the canadians Americans French Belgians irish south Africans and so on

Napalm
    Free Member

It told a good story and was educational.
    Shame the acting was so poor.

Danny79
    Free Member

Dark Blue World is worth a watch, trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKjR1V-Dg14 try to ignore the grating voice over…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

mad as a box of frogs,

That's exactly what you need to give fascists a good spanking.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘PSA: The Untold Battle of Britain – Channel 4 now (worth watching on +1)’ is closed to new replies.