Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 246 total)
  • PSA : The sad reality of a liftime frame warranty
  • granny_ring

Remind me not to buy a Litespeed.

Hope you sort it out ok.

hora
    Free Member

neninja- if one does I’d gladly ask him/her why a 1yr old pair of Specialized SPD’s was refused a warranty within the 2yr warranty period by them.

smell_it
    Free Member

I had a good friend have almost a mirror situation with litespeed over a road, I wouldn’t buy anything from them and will tell anyone who will listen their story to warn them. I will add the op’s tale to this to. Company of shister’s.

I_Ache
    Free Member

So if 5 years is a standard lifetime on a fancy and bloody expensive Ti frame, that are generally regarded as very long life frames. Then whay is the expected life of my 6 year old Aluminium FS frame? Will I die soon?

Speshpaul

My LBS stopped selling Litespeed for this reason. They were spending too much time (and money)trying to appease owners of failed litespeeds.
    The cost of the repair is high because they remove the failed tube. So labour is quite a bit more than welding a new tube to a new frame. But it still doesn’t cover the £500 plus carriage.

Get it welded, and ride it:-)

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

That’s a sad tale, indeed. Also sad that lifetime warranty means nothing or any real extended warranty and better in some ways to go for the cheaper throw away frames than invest in something.

I might be wrong but think Trek are pretty good warranty wise, a few years ago when I worked in a bike shop a guy bought his cracked trek aluminium frame that he bought in 1991, we phoned trek and they said “yup post it back with the original receipt and will will send you out a new frame”. We sent a very worried looking man home to search through his old paper work in hope that the receipt would emerge! Not sure if he found it or not.

I think warranty like Curits bikes free repairs for life are more meaningful or crash replacement schemes, yes your less likely to get a shiny new frame for “free” but at least not all is lost.

I hope you get something out of it, you could asked the citizens advice bureau if you have any leg to stand on, or sometimes uni’s have free legal advice session. May your not wanting to go down that route but might be worth finding out and letting Litespeed know that your doing so, might shock them into doing something!

wwaswas

was the frame purchased direct or through a UK retailer?

bencooper
    Free Member

My philosophy with building frames is we have a deal – you give me money to build a frame to do a job. If the frame ever ceases to do that job, I’ll fix it – if the job changes (you go downhilling on a touring bike), then you’ve broken your end of the deal.

Seems reasonable to me 🙂

bigblackshed

Just read Litespeeds warranty on the website http://www.litespeed.com/inner.asp?content=re-warranty

Some quotes from the warranty: “not used for it’s intended pupose”, “trail riding”, “jumps”. So MTBing in general then?

In short = This warrany is void if you ever claim on it.

kcr
    Free Member

…considering most titanium frames last 5 years…

I have a Ti Airborne which is now 9 years old and was sold with a lifetime warranty. It developed a weld crack about 3 years ago. I contacted Van Nicholas (who emerged from the ashes of the now defunct Airborne) but the best they were prepared to offer was a 40% discount on a new VN frame. I thought this was reasonable, considering it is technically a different company and they didn’t have any contractual obligation to honour my warranty.

In the end, however, I had the frame welded up by Vernon Barker. Cost £75 including postage, very neat job, and it is still going strong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So they can say the ‘lifetime’ of the frame has expited once it cracks? Therfor don’t have to honour the warranty since the frame has reached it lifetime.

Thats pish and very misleading. I would keep this thread going for as long as you can and I certainly wouldn’t leave it at that.

hora
    Free Member

“trail riding”

So what is mountain biking? The word ‘Mountain’ conjures up quite rugged landscape. Maybe send them this link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=mountains&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=845&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=SSC2T6mYELCo0AXR8q2aCg

….and they should rename their product ‘light loose earth use product’.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had cause to use the Marin/Whyte (ATB sales) warranty service a few times and they’ve always been superb, my Whyte 19 Ti made by Litespeed but I’m not expecting it to fail any time soon.

theotherjonv

I agree with all the disappointment expressed here, but unfortunately according to my mate who is a Trading Standards officer (who are generally very pro-consumer), ‘lifetime warranty’ does not actually mean your lifetime. Instead it means ‘reasonably expected’ lifetime of the item in question.

The example he gave is if you buy a saucepan as a newly wed and use it every day for 70 years, and then the handle breaks, do you really expect to get a new one no questions asked. Because being reasonable you wouldn’t really expect a saucepan to last 70 years, would you?

The issue here then is what is considered a reasonable lifetime for a Ti frame. Unfortunately, most of us buy into thinking that Ti frames go on for ever, and evidence shows that isn’t the case. Is 5 years reasonable? What would the average MTBer in the street say? Now it becomes a contentious issue.

So i suspect sadly you don’t have a chance other than through getting a deal on a replacement. And in turn; Litespeed (and others) should fess up on what they really think the expected lifetime of a frame or component is because this ‘lifetime’ warranty is just misleading marketing.

Ladders
    Free Member

My Raleigh Titanium is now about 16 years old and still going strong (fair enough it is a road frame), maybe someone should tell it it should have died 11 years ago!!

bencooper
    Free Member

I can sort-of see where they’re coming from – titanium, like aluminium, has a finite life. Even the best-made frame with perfect welds will eventually fatigue and crack – it’s an intrinsic property of the material.

So they should be more clear about what they mean by “lifetime” and the difference between fatigue and a manufacturing defect.

kcr
    Free Member

I experienced another interesting interpretation of warranty terms with Bianchi. I had an alloy road frame crack at a weld after less than a year. They replaced it with a new frame (actually the next model up) which was very nice until it also cracked after a few months. At this point (having also seen someone else’s frame crack in exactly the same place) I decided I didn’t want to risk any more Bianchis, and asked for a refund on the original bike purchase.

Bianchi refused, and then attempted to claim that my warranty was void because I had used my road racing frame “for racing”…
    After much complaining, the best I managed to get was a refund for the value of the frame and keeping the components.

I guess the moral of the story is that all warranties are not created equal.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If litespeed expect a frame to last 5 (or 10) years then should say it is a 5 (or 10) year warranty. They have deliberately misled by wording the warranty in a way that implies something greater than they are willing to honour. Poor service.

batfink
    Free Member

After breaking 2 FS frames, I paid particular attention to the warantee blurb – especially with some companies limiting cover on the rear triangle, setting rider weight limits etc etc. My view is that if it breaks within 2-3 years of normal riding, then it’s not fit for purpose. I would be f*cking livid if I was the OP.

Fyi, the Rose warantee is an unambiguous 10 years against frame breakages.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“If litespeed expect a frame to last 5 (or 10) years then should say it is a 5 (or 10) year warranty.”

There is the problem though isn’t it. They are a premium brand and one of the selling points they use is that they imply it will last longer, all helps justify the stupid price tags compared to other bikes.

If they change their marketing material to say 5 year limited warranty, not as many folk will buy them.

I guess its up to what strategy they want to achieve.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

titanium, like aluminium, has a finite life. Even the best-made frame with perfect welds will eventually fatigue and crack – it’s an intrinsic property of the material.

Really? I was of the impression that titanium, like some steels, has a fatigue limit such that if subjected to alternating stress below a certain value it would have infinite life.

That may only be for pure Ti though, you got any data for 6-4?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

If litespeed expect a frame to last 5 (or 10) years then should say it is a 5 (or 10) year warranty. They have deliberately misled by wording the warranty in a way that implies something greater than they are willing to honour. Poor service.

That’s the crux of the matter; expecting a ‘lifetime warranty’ to last 100years or whatever is un-reasonable and it’s fair enough that the manufacturer suggests what the ‘reasonable’ life time of the frame is.. what is definitely not reasonable is for them to sell it without explaining exactly what they consider the lifetime to be.. they were quick enough to tell you when it failed that it was 5years, they ought to be able to tell new and potential purchasers as well.

bencooper
    Free Member

I believe it depends on the heat treating, though I don’t work with the stuff so not an expert 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

@ funkyDunc. Absolutely correct.

But a true premium brand would have every issue sorted they would either have a “no quibble, don’t worry son we’ll see you right without any questions asked” warranty or they would be clear and unambiguous with their wording in the first place. What these types of warranty issues point to is that they are a premium brand in terms of price only.

There can’t be that many people that have the same frame for over 10 years, have the original receipt and suffer a weld failure rather than crash damage. The numbers must be so small that they would be better off fixing the frames and making a big deal about it. That is the sort of marketing exposure that would be worth it’s weight in gold.

Something along the lines of ” muppetWrangler bought a frame from us in 1993, recently he noticed a small gap appear in the head tube welding. muppetWrangler was unhappy and that made us unhappy we fixed up his frame free of charge and now muppetWrangler’s happy again. Here’s to another twenty years of trouble free riding.”

bencooper
    Free Member

Reading up some old books – the material itself (like steel) has a fatigue limit. The problem comes with welds where there can be micro stresses and edges that produce loads above the fatigue limit.

Not sure if that’s an intrinsic problem with titanium welds or not – maybe Raleigh had the right idea with bonded tubes…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Do people really expect their frames to last forever? Where do you ride them, around the house (but only on carpet)?

mrmo
    Free Member

I am not very sure on this, but i think Ti has a serious issue with welding which is the root of many problems. ANY contamination and the welds are likely to go, and the heat generally isn’t appreciated by the joints.

Anyway, broke a 7? year old Trek Lemond, no arguments, i was asked what colour scheme i wanted and a new frame was shipped over from the states. Then as the model i had was no longer made they gave me an upgrade and for some reason also sent me a new fork. Which i wasn’t expecting but was appreciated as the frame had gone from a 1″ to 1 1/8″ headtube.

bencooper
    Free Member

The welding is critical – I imported some Russian MTB frames and components many years ago, only a small batch (luckily). Some stuff broke right away, some within a year, some is still going strong – I’m still using some of the tubular titanium cranks on my commuting bike.

smell_it
    Free Member

I had a good friend have almost a mirror situation with litespeed over a road, I wouldn’t buy anything from them and will tell anyone who will listen their story to warn them. I will add the op’s tale to this to. Company of shister’s.

kimbers

could a premium member add litespeed and warranty to the tags? ^

druidh
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    could a premium member add litespeed and warranty to the tags?

😀

bigrich

obviously all that effort to convince numpties that Ti bikes are made of magic and are AMAZING and so therefore should be massively premium has obviously started to have consequences.

alfabus
    Free Member

🙂

ransos
    Free Member

So if you really want Ti, buy a “budget” brand and put the change towards a replacement in a few years time…

I’m sticking with steel.

cynic-al
    Free Member

VOLVO FOR SALE is back! 😛

kiwijohn

Hmmm, I don’t think there is a lifetime warranty on my 95 DBR Axis TT, but it’s still going strong.

druidh
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    So if you really want Ti, buy a “budget” brand and put the change towards a replacement in a few years time…

I don’t think blame only the material. There are Ti frames still on the go from way back. I’ve seen quite a few Airbornes about and that company has been defunct for years.

bigrich

if it were me, I’d get it in an SEM and have a look at the microstructure of the crack, and then issue a science smackdown.

Sanny
    Free Member

I had a Litespeed made Cove Hummer. It cracked at the reinforcing weld and the aluminium insert they put into the head tube that the headset attached to came out when I was swapping out a King headset.

Litespeed and Cove got into a protracted period of debate over who should pick up the warranty with Litespeed and Cove offering differing warranty periods with Cove now sourcing the Hummer from Lynskey. From what I can gather, Litespeed weren’t interested in picking up the cost of repair.

In the end, Silverfish came to the rescue and sorted me with a brand new Lynskey made frame. I was delighted with this but disappointed that the importer didn’t get the support I would reasonably have expected Litespeed should have given them as the manufacturer.

Woukd I ever buy a Litespeed product? Er, no. I have no desire to give my hard earned to a company that based on my experience doesn’t support their dealers nor their importers. Clarity over what a lifetime warranty actually means with examples would go a long way to helping folk decide whether to buy a frame or not. I suspect it would mean that Litespeed lose more customers than they might gain though. 😀

batfink
    Free Member

The numbers must be so small that they would be better off fixing the frames and making a big deal about it

This!^

Do they expect more than a handful of people to be returning frames 10+ years old? of course not, so why not just take those costs on the chin – understanding that they are the true cost of offering a much fanfared “lifetime warantee”? If their marketing department had half a braincell between them they would realise that this is a fantastic opportunity for them to do some really positive PR.

Start posting on their facebook page – I bet their CEO isn’t on the “claims committee”, but I expect reads that!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 246 total)

The topic ‘PSA : The sad reality of a liftime frame warranty’ is closed to new replies.