Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA – Texting 999
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Not sure if this has already been posted..

AS we regularly ride area’s with poor mobile reception, where a voice call won’t go through, a text sometimes will. This does play on my own mind a bit if out riding on my own.

Well now if the wheels literally come off, we can text 999. Only catch is you’ve got to register before hand..

So if you text ‘register’ to 999 now after about a minute you should get a text back, to which you reply ‘yes’

You should then get confirmation then in future you can text for help and know if your text has got through..

DezB
    Free Member

Help Crshd brkn back. lol.

IHN
    brakes
    Free Member

crash saracin bik, bare bad head, snd mergency lolcopter

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cheers John

just emailed it to all work colleagues also

AlexSimon

Thanks John!

Jamie
    Free Member

Drac:

“lolz wtf he just fell off his bik roflmao can urz come where @ da bridge”

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks John, thats really handy to know.

I_Ache
    Free Member

This would be good should you ever find yourself being kidnapped and put in a car boot.

Or if an ex breaks into your house to kill you and your too scared to call.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

cheers. Done.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Could this be made a sticky by the mods as everyone partacking in lone adventure sports should definately register.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Just thought I’d bump this up again

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Done.

Thanks for that.

Bez

Interesting. Makes it near-trivial to wire it up via Tasker, for instance, to make a little “panic widget” to send an SMS with your location (I already use this so people can get my location – street, town and lat/long – by texting me). Thanks for the heads-up.

philfive
    Free Member

very good, just registered and paired it up with send latlong for the iphone.

if i get in trouble i can instantly text my lat long and a google maps link 😀

the app also gives me the lat long so i can pass that on if i’m on the phone to them.

good find

honeybadgerx

Little evening bump, great little bit of info that, thanks for posting it up.

gee
    Free Member

Thanks – great idea.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

More details here

Full details:

Step 1.

Register your mobile phone with the service before an emergency happens. Important: You will need to register again if you change your mobile phone numbers.

Step 2.

If an emergency happens we advise you only to use SMS to contact the emergency services if you have no other option. This is because it will take longer than other methods such as 999 or 18000
    When you need to send an SMS text message to 999 and you cannot use the standard voice 999 service or the Text Relay 18000 service create an SMS message containing the details below:

Which?
    Need Ambulance, Coastguard, Fire Rescue, or Police

What?
    Briefly, what is the problem

Where?
    Exactly where is it
    Give the name of road and town

Plus more information like:
    •house number; or
    •nearby landmarks or main roads

For example your SMS text message might read:
    ‘ambulance. man having a heart attack. outside post office. valley road watford’
    If you include this information the emergency services will not have to ask as many questions and will be able to respond quicker.
    Please be as accurate as possible when giving the location. The better your information is the faster the emergency services will be able to send help.

Step 3.

Now send the SMS message to 999.

Step 4.

The emergency service will reply to you asking either for more information or telling you that help is on the way.
    Do not assume that your message has been received until you get a message back from the emergency service, an SMS ‘Delivery Report’ does not mean your message has been received.
    It can take around 2 minutes for you to get a reply to your emergency message. If you have not received a reply within 3 minutes then we advise you to send another message straight away.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Texting 999’ is closed to new replies.