Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA – Superstar finned pads £15 – 4 pairs
  • stevied
    Free Member

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arctic-kevlar-disc-pad-kit.htm

FINPAD50 = 50% off

Forgot to order them last time so will get a set this time round. 4 pairs of pads and 2 fins.

Did anyone else try these?

momo

A friend of mine runs them on his DH bike, seems happy. I’ve ordered 2 packs this morning (2 bikes worth) for the same price as 2 pairs of genuine shimano pads.

damascus
    Free Member

Nice PSA, I’ve not seen them before, do they work or just add weight and an annoying rattle?

coppice
    Free Member

Cheers, worked a charm and reminded me I need to order some. I went for the arctic sintered

lowey

Cheers. Ordered two pairs of sintered.

Kahurangi

I had some and they just rattled.

The real test would be putting some on a dyno and measuring heat build up, then compare with some proper finned pads and a control.

benp1

Aren’t Superstar pads the ones that everyone says to avoid?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Aren’t Superstar pads the ones that everyone says to avoid?

yes, on the grounds that once years ago they had a batch that failed and delaminated. As no doubt has everyone else.

legend
    Free Member

Been using them for a wee while now, seem fine. No better or worse that others, although I did read that the pad material is thinner than usual to make room for the metalwork – will need to check that out at some point

Kahurangi

pad material is thinner than usual to make room for the metalwork – will need to check that out at some point

I took calipers to mine (say what you will, at least I know I’m sad) and found the pad material was actually just as thick. The backing plate is essentially halved in thickness so that there is the same thickness again for the fin plate to sit behind it.

teethgrinder

Was going to go for the Superstar ones to replace the Uberbike ones I use, but SS don’t do replacement pads on their own or Hope M4 ones, and Uberbike do (means I don’t have to trim the Saint/Zee ones now).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jon Taylor – Member

The real test would be putting some on a dyno and measuring heat build up, then compare with some proper finned pads and a control.

Uberbike pads claim 55C, and are a similar construction to the superstar pads with a separate plate, but have fins which look a bit more like the shimano ones designed to work with airflow at different angles. Shimano claim 50C so it’s close. I can’t believe it’s better though, unless shimano are assuming an organic pad which would be insulating the heatsink from the rotor, and uberbike used a sintered pad? I can’t see the superstar ones being as good with those fins running straight, that’d put them almost vertical on the front brake.

Saw this too, I think the test protocol was to ramp up the power at 30min intervals. So ice tech works at 1050W, nothing else (OEM) does!

poah
    Free Member

didn’t like the lever feel with the uberbike versions and they were a pain to set up compared to normal pads. got rid of them and went back to standard pads.

welshfarmer

Cheers, Worth a punt for 4 sets for half the price of 1 set of genuine Zees. I can wear them out in Wales in winter and save the good ones for the Alps in summer 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just think of all that extra weight….

legend
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

Just think of all that extra weight….

trade off for the extra downforce and related cornering grip

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Superstar finned pads £15 – 4 pairs’ is closed to new replies.