Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • PSA: Supersonic skydive from 120,000ft. Live online this afternoon
  • onandon
    Free Member

The link in the op opens but I can’t connect to the feed.
    Anyone else having any issues ?

elliptic
    Free Member

so, while he may, whilst at altitude, travel faster than sound does at sea level, he still wont technically be supersonic, is that correct?

They seem to be expecting his max speed to be about the same as sound at sea level (340m/s) or maybe a bit faster after thirty seconds or so of free fall.

At jump altitude the speed of sound is around 315m/s and on the way down it actually decreases to start with… so he should definitely be supersonic “locally” as it were.

D28boy
    Free Member

3 hours.

So time to make a cup of tea then

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rogg
    Free Member

And to enjoy your biscuit of choice. Launch put back by 30 mins…

Gotama
    Free Member

Just in the travelling supersonic debate…..the comment i heard on radio 4 this morning stated that one of the key concerns was the impact on felix when going through the sound barrier (sonic boom or is that just phrasing rather than actual effect?) could cause him to spin out of control….which would imply they are expecting him to break the sound barrier and the issues associated with that rather than a theoretically breaking it.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’m watching on my phone as youtube is blocked at work. I know this is Roswell but there’s all sorts of little dots flying about the screen 😆

elliptic
    Free Member

one of the key concerns was the impact on felix when going through the sound barrier (sonic boom or is that just phrasing rather than actual effect?) could cause him to spin out of control.

All sorts of nasty aerodynamic stuff happens at transonic speeds…hence it was such a big deal figuring out how to design aircraft to handle it.

OTOH he’s up in such thin air that the shock forces etc will be correspondingly reduced, presumably its not going to be anywhere near as bad as going supersonic at sea level.

The sonic boom is just the compressed shock wave you’re pushing out around you, which can’t escape out in front fast enough….the aerodynamics get weirdest when you’re just below/above the speed of sound so you’re stuck right in the shock wave with airflow that’s varying from subsonic to supersonic in different areas around the airframe (…or indeed, body).

There’s a bit about the speed of sound stuff here. http://www.redbullstratos.com/science/speed-of-sound/

One of the things I find odd, looking at the technical details, is the use of imperial measurements.
    I know the USA hasn’t caught up with the rest of the world in that respect yet, but I still can’t get used to the idea of reading about cutting edge technology in terms that I associate with steam engines and vintage vehicles.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah logged on via iPad and delayed launch.. and a delayed lunch.

Oh well.

Have to catch it second hand on the train laters.. bummer, this was going t be epic, well it still could be but i’ll miss it live..

ocrider

Just to be pedantic and because its the done thing on STW…

Pressure does not affect the speed of sound in air, its a temperature thang.
    NASA Java speed of sound simulator to play with

singletracked
    Free Member

It’s density, which is in turn affected by pressure and temperature, PV = nRT and all that innit

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

There was a plan for an emergency, single person re-entry device. It was in the form of a heat shield that was made in orbit and that the user lay on

like an interplantary surfboard? Cool…

neninja
    Free Member

Launch delayed again now so it’s going to be this evening before the jump (if it even happens).

logical
    Free Member

like an interplantary surfboard? Cool…

Wow! just like the Silver Surfer! I want one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Dang”

I really wanted this to go ahead now.. not tonight, not laters..

Have a word..

flip
    Free Member

Countdown on hold till 11.30 MDT 😕

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The cosmic surfboard idea…

Lifer
    Free Member

It’s on. Currently at 21000m

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MrIxH6DToXQ#![/video]

theotherjonv

so when is he scheduled to jump (approx) then?

druidh
    Free Member
    zanelowe
    Free Member

Wow what a guy, well done to him 🙂

KonaTC

The most bonkers thing I have ever seen 😀

Wally

Wow – amazing, whole family gripped by live feed.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Supersonic skydive from 120,000ft. Live online this afternoon’ is closed to new replies.