Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • PSA: STW Mendip Ride 2010 – Sunday 15th August
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I'll come!

mendip
    Free Member

Is this still on?

hopster
    Free Member

If I can get my bike rebuilt and my physio says its ok I'll be along for this.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Put me down as a possible 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As far as I know it is. Buzz will be along shortly I expect.

elliptic
    Free Member

Bumpity bump.

Mendip trails are riding very nicely at the moment… weather outlook is promising.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Were you guys on Dolebury last night?

elliptic
    Free Member

We were over that way later on, yes – stopped for a bit while Dave the Paint sorted out his 947th puncture of the last few weeks 🙂

Where did you guys get to?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tomorrow afternoon I going to have a look at the state of that bit of trail along the Shipham road that's near Lillypool Cafe. Armed with shears. I think everything else en-route is in fair to excellent nick.

Andy

Possible here too!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I thought I knew the Mendips pretty well and most of the techie stuff, but I didnt know about a trail from Warren Hill to The Perch, thanks, will take a look next time I'm out that way. Guess it joins the top of Badgers.

los
    Free Member

OK if I join you? I'm surveying the Mendip borough for CycleCity Guides that week so I could work and play at the same time 😛

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"trail from Warren Hill to The Perch, … Guess it joins the top of Badgers."

Not quite. You go ~ a quarter down Warrens Hill and there is a gate on your right (permissive BW) – go slow or you miss it. It's a short push up then grassy along to a gap linking meadows on either side, at the top of The Perch.

The non-secret way is an obvious singletrack permissive BW that goes down at about "2 o'clock" and joins a wider stony track with 2 gates leading down to the road. The usual climb up Badgers is on your left near the bottom of that stony track.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I'm surveying the Mendip borough for CycleCity Guides"

All welcome 🙂 Many local riders will come so you will get lots of opinion about this.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Buzz, never noticed anything off to the right on Warren Hill, too busy hooning towards the tea cakes in Cheddar. I've taken a turning on the left about 1/4 way down, down some wodden steps with a tight right hander at the bottom. Footpath I think, but the farmer likes bikers.

The BW you mention doesnt appear on my OS map, God bless Google Earth. Heading back from Minehead on Sunday, so might drop by

elliptic
    Free Member

That other turning is the Bottle Bank, those steps went in a couple of years ago, before that it was just a steep slippery earth bank. Which a certain rider of ours always bottled. Hence the name 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

elliptic, yep, and it gets pretty steep after the right hander. Is the gate on the right before or after those steps (heading towards Cheddar obviously!)

Anna-B
    Free Member

This has been in my diary for what seems like ages! Still planning to come, looking forward to finally cycling on the Mendips.

elliptic
    Free Member

agentd – it's before that, only a short way down from the top.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Elliptic – I was on my way up the road to the Swan at about 10. I looked over and saw you just below the fort, just about where the steps start down.

We'd been working on a little something on the Yeo valley side of the fort. Its not ready for public consumption yet though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tomorrow afternoon I going to have a look at the state of that bit of trail along the Shipham road that's near Lillypool Cafe. Armed with shears

There were just two sections that were a bit overgrown and have had a little prune back. All set.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

everything else en-route is in fair to excellent nick

Correction. Every trail is in excellent nick. The heavy rain yesterday morning just seems to have evaporated and several trails were kicking up dust and the rest were warp speed ahead.

I'm really bushed from 5 sweaty hours riding today with no lunch 😀

judderman
    Free Member

looking forward to it, is it usual time & place to meet?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oh yes: 9:30 (for 10:00) in the same place as last year: Burrington Combe.

Large free car park 100 metres down from the Burrington Combe Inn.

See ya!

judderman
    Free Member

cheers Buzz see u there 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I really want to come on this ride, but Mrs PP does some charity work once a month and it falls on this Sunday, so I can't use the car. 🙁

I've just checked and it's not really possible by train (2.45hrs to Bristol, then a 12 mile ride!) and was wondering if anyone is coming from my direction (Farnborough, Hants) or close enough for me to get a train to you easily so I could cadge a lift? I can pay in cake if that helps? 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ignore me. I've looked at it every which way and it's just not practical to get there without a car.

Bugger. 🙁

ollieT
    Free Member

Hire a car or buy a £50 or less heap.It could be laugh to see if it gets you there and back plus theres always the RAC if it doesnt

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘PSA: STW Mendip Ride 2010 – Sunday 15th August’ is closed to new replies.