Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA – Stupid cheap Arch EX 27.5 RIms
  • honourablegeorge
    breninbeener

Thanks! Thats ace

JackHammer

Are they a tough rim? Looking to replace the WTB i25s that came on my Process 153, which have a few flat spots and dings.

tomaso
    Free Member

They also have a Arch 27.5 on X9 rear wheel that would work out at £50

swanny853

Are they a tough rim? Looking to replace the WTB i25s that came on my Process 153, which have a few flat spots and dings.

If that’s frequency i25s, probably not. The frequencies are very tough in my experience. The Arches aren’t weak though, my set survived a fair bit of welsh and scottish rock including chasing downhill bikes at uplift places on a hardtail. A friend still has them on a full susser where they’ve continued to be fairly regularly abused on uplifts as well as regular riding. I think the first proper loose spoke happened this weekend at antur!

Arches will save a fair bit of weight over freq but at the expense of width. If it’s KOMs then I’d probably stick with those.

JackHammer

Yeah they’re frequencies I think. Hmmm I’m not the smoothest rider, so I’ll probably give them a miss.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ish, they’re Stan’s middleweight rim, between the Podium (Race day XC), Crest (everyday-XC), Arch (Trail), and Flow (AM/enduro and race day DH).

andyl
    Free Member

fantastic price but not the widest either really.

But for £25 a rim they are unbeatable value.

oh and the i25 are 25mm inner width. The Arch ex is 21mm inner so quite a bit of loss for a bike like a process 153.

JackHammer

Thanks! Good to know. I’ll wait for a mega deal on something more appropriate then.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Cheers, just ordered a couple it’s weird how addictive wheel building is

superstu
    Free Member

They also have a Arch 27.5 on X9 rear wheel that would work out at £50

Thanks, moving from 135 to 12mm on imminent frame swap, and that rear wheel is exactly what I’m after for only £50.

curvature
    Free Member

Nice one, both my bikes are 29er but at that price it was well worth it!

Just need some hubs, spokes, frame, forks etc etc to go with them!

james
    Free Member

” i25 are 25mm inner width. The Arch ex is 21mm inner “
    True but not all rims are the same
    Stans claim the lower (much more than most) sidewalls of the BST2 rims (FlowEX, ArchEX, Crest, etc) make them equivalently wider. They claim the 21mm ArchEX/Crest are equivalent to ‘normal’ 25mm rims

Comparing tyres mounted on my ArchEX’s to other rims (Mavic,DT,others) the same tyres do sit a lot rounder (rather than droplet shaped) and have much more volume because of the shape). They do so by grabbing the tyre lower down the sidewall, much closet to the bead hook rim of the tyre
    Pacenti (TL28) are similarly low walled, haven’t really checked if they are quite as low walled

I don’t know what the rim/ty0re profile is of the WTBs

fooman

They also have the matching ztr/x9 15mm front wheel for £50 that’s less than a ton for the set. I normally build my own wheels but at that price I wouldn’t bother. You can also bag an alpha 340 wheelset on QRs for £115 great for cx.

dirtydog
    Free Member

+1 James

My tyres are touch more pinched when mounted on Mavic 321s than when mounted on Arch Ex’s, I reckon their claims are probably about right.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Stupid cheap Arch EX 27.5 RIms’ is closed to new replies.