Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • PSA: Strava heatmap updated
  • jam-bo

love or hate strava, the heatmaps from strava labs are awesome and just been updated.

loads of new data
    some new colour schemes.
    satellite map background.

go explore.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/

jimdubleyou

Now blocked at work because of their new “social” features.

🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I use heatmap if going on holiday to look at where to ride/run.

Is there any way you can get the data out though to create a route?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Seems to show that the UK is some combination of:
    A) drastically overcrowded
    B) bike mad
    C) stravaholics

I’m also a little concerned about drainage after wet periods given the apparent popularity of swimming down roads…..

jam-bo

i think the strava route builder uses it as a layer.

whitestone
    Free Member

Our house is at a crossroads between a lane/bridleway and a footpath. Looks like someone has attempted to ride the footpath which has stiles over several high stone walls. Probably ridden just the once and thought “sod doing that again”!

Always easy to tell where the trail centres are on the Strava heatmap 😆

jam-bo

i know some of the single lines on west dartmoor are me.

turboferret

Awesome, satellite background imagery makes it so much more useful. I often use the heatmap to plan runs in areas I don’t know, generally when I’m travelling. Would often need to have several different windows open at a time to translate the heatmap lines to where they actually lie on the ground. Much easier now 🙂

Not used the route builder, will give that a try

Cheers, Rich

whitestone
    Free Member

i know some of the single lines on west dartmoor are me.

I’m not admitting to anything 😆

Looking at NW Scotland there are some seriously gnarly “rides”. Well they’ve been logged as rides. Plus there’s quite a few rather wet routes been logged, like between Ullapool and Stornoway. 😉

It would be nice to have an idea of the numbers associated with each colour.

The route builder has a “Use Popularity” option so presumably the same data is used for that, by default it’s enabled. Not sure how it works though as it doesn’t show on the map and occasionally roads/paths have gaps in them and you get a huge reroute to get to the other side of the gap.

jam-bo

You can turn the heatmap on as an overlay in the routebuilder, or at least you could

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only problem with the route builder is I find it won’t let me zoom in enough to identify specific trails in busy areas, at the max zoom it will allow with the heatmap the top 10 segments are aren’t the ones I’m looking for even if I (think) I can see the one I want.

northerntom
    Free Member

where is all the skiing in London? I must have missed it….

Biggest issue at the moment for me is that it doesn’t differentiate between mtb and road cycling.

dadbike
    Free Member

I find it equally satisfying and concerning that there is a bold orange line leading from/to my front door.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I find it equally satisfying and concerning that there is a bold orange line leading from/to my front door.

You need to turn your privacy settings on… having said that mine are on, I will check later if it shows…

Wheres the strava route builder thingy?

scotroutes

dadbike – Member

I’m guessing it ignores security zones.

dadbike
    Free Member

You need to turn your privacy settings on… having said that mine are on, I will check later if it shows…

Wheres the strava route builder thingy?

I have enhanced privacy mode on, this address is “hidden”, and I am opted out of Heatmap/Metro. Could be from other riding buddies, but it seems a lot of data.

lucky7500

It would be nice to have an idea of the numbers associated with each colour.

+1 I suspect that it doesn’t take much activity to get a thin bright orange / almost white line. Judging by my very local riding where I’m almost certainly the only person riding anyway.

Also, I suspect that an awful lot of people are Stravaing car journeys! 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

@FuncyDunc – Select the “Dashboard” menu then “My Routes”. That takes you to a page with all the routes you’ve created. Top left is an orange button “Create New Route”, click and you get to the route builder.

alcolepone
    Free Member

could someone write a site/script that uses this info, and subtracts any road routes via googlemaps road data? so that only off road routes are left?

i would be grateful.

cheers

miketually
    Free Member

I suspect that an awful lot of people are Stravaing car journeys!

Judging by the motorway near us, yes.

With just running selected, our local running track and the Park Run course really stand out.

I can also see all the times that I’ve forgotten to stop Strava when I’ve arrived at work.

kcal

Nice one!

as above for @whitestone, I’d like to know how often a trail has been ridden – at what pace would be magic – and how long ago. Oh and if only once each by several folk (I can think of several trails I’ve thought Sod It after hike bike) that’s good to know. Trails deteriorate as well, so if there has been no traffic over last couple of years, not a good sign.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Also, I suspect that an awful lot of people are Stravaing car journeys!

I had to do a double take when the M1 near my routes shows up with a glow of activity! I’ve seen a few idiots walking along it but not all that many lost roadies.

medoramas
    Free Member

There is a need for Christopher Columbus and Marco Polo to come back! So many undiscovered places, not touched with human existence (in accordance with “if it’s not on Strava – it didn’t happen!” rule)! 😆

miketually
    Free Member

I’d like to know how often a trail has been ridden – at what pace would be magic – and how long ago. Oh and if only once each by several folk (I can think of several trails I’ve thought Sod It after hike bike) that’s good to know. Trails deteriorate as well, so if there has been no traffic over last couple of years, not a good sign.

Once you’ve identified a likely looking trail, create a segment on it. That will give you that data.

whitestone
    Free Member

@kcal – the heatmaps used to be annual rather than for all Strava’s data. Not checked if this is still the case (just found a blog entry that says it’s all the data)

Also from that link: “Activities are cropped to respect user defined privacy zones”

kcal

@whitestone – yes, I used to use the slider to see what trails had an increase/decrease in use.
    Certainly round here – NE Scotland – there are ones I’d be putting the blue pencil through after “excursions”.

wwaswas

There’s a lot of pedalos crossing the channel…

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s the hard cases heading out to St Kilda 😯 that I want to avoid!

AlexSimon

Respect to whoever did this:

Sui
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    Respect to whoever did this:

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

that’s good, but have a look at the South Pole, some nutter has had a go at writing ICI!

paladin

whitestone – Member
    It’s the hard cases heading out to St Kilda that I want to avoid!

Whoever ran the flightpath route into RAF lossiemouth is impressive, especially the bit through the Moray Firth

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Strava heatmap updated’ is closed to new replies.