Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • PSA; Strathpuffer 2013 Finally on't Telly
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

the “kids” are pretty darn good racers you know.
    Lucy is british champ, others are not far off.
    and one was recruited less than a week before the event.

scotroutes

Maybe his fees were too high. It’s quite possible his media rights are covered by various contracts.

Harry_the_Spider

It’s quite possible his media rights are covered by various contracts.

Could be. He’s on Channel 4, this was the Beeb.

I wounder what they would have done if he’s won it – Shown an extra long article about a bearded man in cheap shoes?

He got up to second at one point and Twinklydave only wrestled 3rd off him in the closing stages.

roady_tony
    Free Member

why say it at all, its a pointless statement that helps neither women or kids get into the sport and enforces the viewpoint that its male dominated…
    Really?

Perhaps if the camera crew gave him an hour or so to prepare a statement he’d have said something different

I got a camera shoved in my face at one point and I thought of loads of cool witty stuff to say …just after the cameragirl walked away.

that makes it all the worse, thats his REAL reaction then and not some made up PR thing, so deep down he actual thinks those things. i restate. tosser.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I enjoyed that.

A good show is The Adventure Show.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“that makes it all the worse, thats his REAL reaction then and not some made up PR thing, so deep down he actual thinks those things. i restate. tosser. “

funny how you then think its ok to say things like that on the internet about someone you have never met.

ive met most of the shire donkeys either through friends and general riding. I doubt it was said with any mallicious intent. No one wants to be beaten by anyone else. What would you have been saying if he said “its bad enough being beat but by a team of singlespeeders ?”

its the same thing , wind yer necks in.

roady_tony
    Free Member

because im basing my opinion on a real life comment he made, in the context that he actually made it, rather than a Gender or Age based discrimination that he was making.

euain

Having been at ‘Puffer and experienced the atmosphere it’d never occur to me that the statement was meant as anything other than a joke and self-deprecating humour. It’s the kind of thing you’d say (or I would) – ‘We’re being beaten by a bunch of kids and a girl – good on them”. The message I take is, “respect to these youngsters flying round the trails”.

The ‘Puffer is amazing for the atmosphere. Everyone is cheering everyone on. Whippets sprinting past me on the climbs gave me encouragement as they flew by and everyone else was on for a few words as we passed each other.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Watched it last night and when he said it I said to my wife “that comment has kicked up a fuss on the internet”- she just didn’t get why, at all. I didn’t either.

No one wants to get beaten by anyone else, especially not people who are in theory not at that their peak, like 14 year olds. But when someone like a 14 year old is battling out with a 30 year old racer then no one can help but respect them.

roverpig

To be fair, it’s not really kicked up a fuss. Just seems to be one person taking offence, which will always happen. Personally I’d hate to be beaten by a 14 year old girl and don’t see what’s wrong with admitting it. I’m also sure that particular girl would kick my sorry ass all over any course, anywhere any time and good on her.

Northwind

Oh yeah… The female solo winner, did anyone else think she had her saddle really low? Seemed odd to me, obviously it works for her but she was very bendy-knee-ey. If she was a novice mate I’d probably say to raise it, as it is, she is obviously way better than me so I think I’d keep it shut 🙂

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Was orite watching, as usual though they edit so much out! I made it on (when I fell on my arse at the start…) but despite 3 separate interviews (1 for CB memorial and 2 about the race in general) they never made it in. And their talk of who was where in the race was way off! They based that purely on the final results…

As for the comment from the shire donkeys, as Terry says it was meant in jest, and racing is just that. Your out to win, not to get beaten!

swavis

Having been at ‘Puffer and experienced the atmosphere it’d never occur to me that the statement was meant as anything other than a joke and self-deprecating humour. It’s the kind of thing you’d say (or I would) – ‘We’re being beaten by a bunch of kids and a girl – good on them”. The message I take is, “respect to these youngsters flying round the trails”.

This is exactly as I took it. Although I wasn’t looking to be offended on behalf of anybody else 🙄

scotroutes

roverpig makes a very good point. Children and women shouldn’t be regarded as a “lower form” of competitor. All ages and sexes should be competing equally. That’s why there are no separate categories for age and gender in any professionally organised sport.

Oh…. 🙄

munrobiker
    Free Member

Aye, it would have been good if Oli and Huw had got a little slot in considering they were 2nd and 3rd for the bulk of the race.

scotroutes

Remember that, despite the editing, the TV guys all go home for the night. That means they’re playing catch-up in the morning and are most likely unaware of what’s been happening when it’s “proper” dark.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They were there all night! I was very impressed with the work they did, they kept popping up all over the place for the full 24 hours.

scotroutes

Different from last year then.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

The presenters go home, but the camera team stay 😀

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Just watched it. Amazing event, and can quite happily say i will never even contemplate riding that one.

Good to see some mates riding, even if they were falling over even when they weren’t on their bikes 😀

swavis

I’m sure I got a pic of Dougie V on a bike but he wasn’t racing this year. His doppelgänger surely 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

you mean there was a pairs catagory ?

much like the bulk of the womans catagories…..

northwind dont you mean the second placed female solo ? her saddle was low.

lisa kamphausens didnt look it – but i did want to scream “oi you 29er NO ! ”

roverpig

i did want to scream “oi you 29er NO ! “

Looked, from the TV coverage, as though you’d have been screaming that a fair bit. Either there are a lot of very short people on that ride or there were a lot of 29ers on show.

trail_rat
    Free Member

eh ?

there were alot of 29ers

29ers are great thats why.*

but in small sizes they should not be seen , no matter how much faster the 29er is over the terrain on that ride ;0

*was riding a 29er my self at the event*

Northwind

Nah, was definitely Lisa Kamphausen I was thinking of… Think this shows it too

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve been immortalised 😆

http://imgflip.com/i/tmil

scotroutes

Immortalised.
    Forever.

I’ll just leave that there to let you think about it for a while.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

😳

I don’t deal with words, I deal with numbers and figures…

white101

oli was that you slipping on your arse running for your bike at the start?
    I saw that and thought in this weather thats going be hurting after a few miles, or was the fall more arse than hip?

tomhoward

Tony, I wasn’t offended by a joke the other day, please could you be offended for me?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Yup 😀

Was fine, quickly got into racing and didn’t really notice it after the first climb.

scotroutes

That’s never going to get old 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘PSA; Strathpuffer 2013 Finally on't Telly’ is closed to new replies.