• This topic has 28 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • PSA- Specsavers launch Puma prescription cycling specs.
  • jkomo

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/puma-sun-rx-05?sku=25672329

They are a wrap around style with Rx insert, mirror dark tint, orange blue blocker, and clear lenses.

I made up a pair last week, great on the road bike, fine for 40mph downs, with no eye watering, or vibrations.
    Then used the orange lens in Cwmcarn, perfect to increase the contrast in under cover low light woods and trails. Had a few (slow) offs, on the technical climbs, but the specs stayed on.

The insert sits quite flush to the outer lens so they don’t sit too far out, and the insert isn’t the usual 10p size round eye, but a tapered rectangle shape, so gives a much better field of vision.

Really pleased with them, just wish the dark lens was a brown tint instead of grey.

AlexSimon

Any chance of a real photo – instead of their flattering renders?

antigee

Jason
    active 1 day, 23 hours ago

obviously an excellent product – thank you so much

smurfly13
    Free Member

Above has to be an error… Look at the posting history??

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Indeed all that states is that he was last active just under 2 days ago, but registered and been a rather active memeber for a lot longer.

tthew

Quite a sensible price too, It’s about time I had a new pair of specs. Wonder if they can me had on the 2 for 1 offers.

antigee

Indeed all that states is that he was last active just under 2 days ago, but registered and been a rather active memeber for a lot longer.

sorry – apologies 😳

ndthornton
    Free Member

sorry – apologies

Should have gone to Specsavers

Clobber
    Free Member

Nice one ndthornton

richardthird

Rx insert?

Utter Crap. I’m ooooooooot.

Cilaryblue will put a nice proper wrappy lens into most cheap/copy sunglasses frames.

IHN

Cilaryblue will put a nice proper wrappy lens into most cheap/copy sunglasses frames

This. My 8Euro, ahem, ‘Ferrari’ frames have a Cilary Blue photochromic prescription lenses. About £50 all in

scc999

About to try Ciliary Blue with a pair of Bolle safety specs.
    Asked them if they could glaze Bolle Spiders and was told “no”.
    I’m trying just sending in another style to see what happens.

If it works then it will be FAR cheaper than the specs in the OP but obviously only with one tint rather than the 3 above.

Si

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Another cilary blue recommendation here.

Ordered my cheap sunnies from the site below. They say in descriptions if they are suitable to cilary blue.

http://www.i-sunglasses.com

Northwind

Oh now THAT is a good link, cheers!

jkomo

The Speccies ones are £99 with the Rx insert , and will work with 2 4 1, so you can get a pair of normal specs for that price.
    I’ve got a wrapped photochromic prescription lens pair I use, but in woods I find them too ‘shadowy’, especially in winter as the cold makes them quite dark.
    I prefer these but will use both that’s all I’m saying.

Mugboo

Last time I got glasses from Specsavers I got them to put clear lenses in a pair of their wraparound sunnies. They were horribly distorted till they reduced the prescription a little to take into account the curve of the lense. Happy with them now.
    I’m slightly shortsighted.

rene59
    Free Member

antigee – Member

Jason
    active 1 day, 23 hours ago

obviously an excellent product – thank you so much
    Posted 3 hours ago #

TiRed

I made up a pair last week,

What Rx? I’m +5 and my Rydons have interesting optical qualities due to the curvature. The brain does however adapt pretty quickly.

aP
    Free Member

Your optician might want to look at using Rupp+Hubrach if you have high prescription in a high base lens to correct the inevitable distortions of the lens orientation.

jkomo

Mine’s only -2.50ish.
    You can get lenses specially optimised, so the Rx is altered to account for the wrap, not sure of the cost though.
    Edit- too slow, Norville will certainly be able to do as well.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Try Bolle KIDS glasses for cheap fit for purpose. You look a bit like Chipps, but otherwise ace. I got 1 clear, 1 sunglasses.

Our local opticians did me 2 pairs of
    prescription glasses (about 0.75 strength) for 140 quid. Very happy with them. There are many styles.

z1ppy

Inserts are shite, avoid at all costs, they just steam up (so you’ve four sides to try to clear) and eventually break off there rubberised mount. My local optician just glasses a set of normal sport glasses with UVPolarising fornot a lot, compared to the mainstream shops/fashionable branded sunnies

aP
    Free Member

Inserts are shite

I knew I’d been doing something wrong all these years, I guess I’d better give up cycling, anyone want to buy my bikes?

z1ppy

If there a rubbish as the inserts your using, then no thanks 😉

aP
    Free Member

8) I find my inserts don’t mist up…

z1ppy

Mine (adidas something of another) did, and it was a nightmare to clean all 4 sides when your all sweaty, then the rubberished frame became unbonded, and no one could supply a glue that would bond it back together.. They cost me a small fortune, and were really rubbish, I can’t recommend anyone try the same system even from another manufacturer

As I say (well I tried to say…) a local optician was able to supply a generic sports frame and glaze them with reactor light lenses for not a lot. This might not be the case for some ppl’s prescriptions, but I’d recommend it over inserts any day of the week… which is surely what ppl come here for.

scc999

First issue with Ciliary Blue – the box they send (postage paid inc in price is too small for the glasses I am sending (either my old pair for reference or the new pair).

So if using them it’s worth factoring an extra bit of cost and faff to sort your own box and pay the extra for a ‘small parcel’ rather than ‘large letter’ stamp.

Si

jkomo

As I said, I like them, no problems steaming up unless I stop after a really tough climb, but never whilst riding. Been out in them for a few of hours on the road, and the same on mtb. If you do stop for a chat or whatever, you can just take them off and wave around a bit, or man up and keep riding.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘PSA- Specsavers launch Puma prescription cycling specs.’ is closed to new replies.