Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • PSA Specialized tyres
  • shredder
    Free Member

Think these are cheap have just purchased a Ground control @ £25 & a Purgatory @ £22 from Freeborn.
    Seems cheap to me.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

They are also starting their Tyre Amnesty again on the 28th Feb

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Any details on the amnesty? What tyres will be in it, and at what price?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Will have to double check on that tomorrow.

martinhutch

They are also starting their Tyre Amnesty again on the 28th Feb

Yay! My ratty old tyres are at the ready.

survivor

Always get my spesh tyres from freeborn. They are usually the prices in OP’s post and always the cheapest when I’ve looked.

andyl
    Free Member

what would be a good general tyre – 2.25″ ish, general UK riding? Was just about to get some Smorgasbords for my 26″ as I like them on my 29er but they are a tad lardy.

DT78
    Free Member

Aha been waiting for the amnesty. Good price btw.

shredder
    Free Member

@andyl Purgatory @ £22 cant go wrong.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Purgatory front, Ground Control rear would be my choice

acidchunks

A popular answer is Butcher on the front, purgatory out back.

Works for me on my 26 fs! just need to get the same for my 29er rigid for off road adventures.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

After using purgatory grids, I wouldn’t use the control purgs again. Wish they would do a softer compound butcher for the front.

unovolo
    Free Member

For those that are after 29’tyres take a look at tredz.
    £17.99 for the Specialized Purgatory 2 bliss.

Just fitted some to Stan Flow and sealed up perfectly.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Purgatory-Control-2Bliss-Ready-29er-MTB-Tyre_42883.htm

bigjim

nice one unovolo!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Spesh tyres too, but bitter experience has taught me that if you want to go tubeless, S-Works are a no-no. It’ll end in tears (and tears), a puddle of sealant and a long walk home. Don’t be tempted by the low gramme count.

You can get away with Controls, but I’ve learned that a sidewall tear is inevitable really and I find they can lack a little support.

If you live anywhere with flinty soil or jagged rocky bits then Grid construction is the only answer. These feel like full on UST jobs, but for thirty five rubs each they’re cheaper than anyone else’s USTs.

sandwicheater

Darn it, was running 2xPurgs at the moment and fancied a change but may stick with another set at that price, cheers.

jekkyl

Please link up purgatorys at 22, I can only find them at 27

Lucas
    Free Member

I got some Spesh Tyres in the amnestry last year. A 2.3 Purg for the front and 2.1 Ground control for the rear, both control casings. the Purg has been great but the ground control isn’t man enough for the Peaks and lakes. I like it in that its light and fast and grippy enough but I ripped the sidewall and following a patch repair I then managed to rip a knob off in the lakes the other weekend.

So I’ve got a Butcher for the front and will put the purg on the rear. Might be tempted to get some spares in the amnesty this year too (especially if they do the Grid version).

legend
    Free Member

andyl – Member

what would be a good general tyre – 2.25″ ish, general UK riding?

Purgatory is a very ‘meh’ tyre. I run run with a Butcher up front, certainly wouldn’t want a Purgatory doing my steering. Maxxis Advantage is a better tyre imo, and even that’s pretty crap for steering duties too

fudge9202
    Free Member

Never ran Spesh tyres, currently run RQ and MkII both black chili compound on my bandit, what are Spesh equivalent to these for a 29er rigid ( Longitude)

shredder
    Free Member

@ jekkyl 26″ purg here
    Once added to basket it turns into £22.49 😀

jekkyl

And then turns into £26.99 at the checkout with tax added.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

What is the deal with the amnesty?

boxelder

£18 at tredz as per the link above jekkyl

christhetall
    Free Member

Bollocks – just thrown away an old tyre !

Mind you, still have several others…

bigjim

well the tyre amnesty is a bit gash this year

simondbarnes

well the tyre amnesty is a bit gash this year

It’s pretty good if you want some light, fast, grippy road tyres 🙂

bigjim

just a (late) heads up, went to fit my bargain purg from tredz and turns out they are the old 2.2 version, quite a bit smaller than the 2.3. Anyone want an unridden one for less than the tredz price?!

acidchunks

Have you fitted it? I found the older 2.2 purgatory to be the same size if not bigger than the newer 2.3

bigjim

yeah, just bought a 2.3 too, will do a comparison…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

2.2 Captain is pretty big.

hainman
    Free Member

Few of us out last monday,My mate was on his new Spesh Full suss,he got a puncture and we struggled for half an hour to get the tyre back on,Purgatory,5 of us trying to get this damn tyre on,once it went on,it wouldnt seat in the bead,rim of tyre was a few mm away from the wheel rim,anyone else had this problem

devash
    Free Member

@ bigjim

I heard that the old 2.2 Purgs are actually a little bit bigger than the new 2.3s, which seem to come in a little undersized.

bigjim

as far as I can see they are identical size the only difference being the tread pattern. they just seem a bit wee compared to what I’m used to!

droppinneutron
    Free Member

i really like speech tyres except for the purgatory which was rubbish in every condition i rode it – binned it off in the end for a maxis but currently have a slaughter on the back which is quite good to

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘PSA Specialized tyres’ is closed to new replies.