Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • PSA sort of – Castelli Gabba
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Short sleeved version at Evans for 90 quid, which struck me as a bargain. Longer sleaved version also available, in limited sizes for 110.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great bit of kit. Tempted to get another at that price. FWIW short sleeve with the matching nanoflex arm warmers (or the cheaper Sportful NoRain ones) is the way to go.

iainc

I looked at that the other day but bought this instead !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had the NoRain arm warmers, carefull with the sizing they don’t stretch like normal lycra so I couldn’t get them in a size that fit.

richpips
    Free Member

The nano-flex armwarmers don’t stay water resistant for long. I wonder if that’s the same with the gabba?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The nano-flex armwarmers don’t stay water resistant for long. I wonder if that’s the same with the gabba?

Yes, much the same. Still good for showery conditions. That and a merino base layer does me through the winter on road for anything up to a couple of hours. If it’s properly minging I’ll be on the turbo!

Edit… for vortexracing below… they are good in showers but if it’s properly persistently wet then you’re going to get wet. Still great bits of kit.

Vortexracing

I bloody hope not

I bought 2 of them 🙄

Luckily I got one of them on C2W, and before anybody says owt, i got the fluorescent one, so it counts a ‘safety equipment’

nemesis
    Free Member

Is the Gabba really that good that it’s worth the price over a jersey and a gilet or similar? I have been tempted given that a lot of my riding is in the conditions it’s aimed at but even at £90… 😯

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is the Gabba really that good that it’s worth the price over a jersey and a gilet or similar?

I think so. All my autum/winter/spring jerseys are now languishing in the bottom of my kit tub as all I wear for about 6 months is the Gabba in combination with various base layers depending on how cold it is.

nemesis
    Free Member

Even when it’s raining? ie you don’t bother with a jacket?

mrblobby
    Free Member

TBH if it’s properly wet I’ll be on the turbo. If it’s changeable conditions and it’s a ride of under a couple of hours (which most of mine are – training rides, time limited) then I’ll be in the Gabba. With a merino base, even if it’s properly wet, it’s not too bad. If it’s a properly long ride with risk of rain then I’d probably take a lightweight rain jacket.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Would have been hitting buy if it had been black, tempted still. I’ve got a Fawesome gillet and it’s bloody good.

[Weird sad fecker] I still enjoy running water over it from the tap and watching the water head off…I tell myself I do this to check that it still going strong after a wash…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Monkeyfudger, seen a yellow one and it’s ok, it’s not a horrible fluro yellow, bit more muted. I did get the black though.

nemesis
    Free Member

So are there any (cheaper!) competitors or is it really that unique a bit of kit?

nemesis
    Free Member

It looks very er… yellow…

You sure it’s not fluro?

nemesis
    Free Member
    mudshark
    Free Member

Just bought a black one, had looked before the London 100 but were out of stock then so made do with a gilet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So are there any (cheaper!) competitors or is it really that unique a bit of kit?

I’ve got the Sportful NoRain arm warmers and bib shorts, these are very similar and I think they do a jersey too. I think Castelli and Sportful are actually owned by the same people with Castelli being their premium brand, so it’s probably quite similar stuff.

You sure it’s not fluro?

Hmm not so sure now. Though I have seen one in a local shop and my memory of it is that it was a bit more of a muted yellow and not as bad as I expected it to be.

iainc

The Sportful gruppetto one I linked to in my response is an amazing bit of road kit for damp cool weather

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Sportful grupetta one I linked to in my response is an amazing bit of road kit for damp cool weather

Shame about the styling 😉

iainc

😆

it’s a nice red colour and good for visibility !

Vortexracing

You sure it’s not fluro?

trust me, it’s fluoro alright and bright with it

Mrblobby, I will be using it for a max of 1.5hours commute either way so hopefully it should be OK.

I sued my black one a couple of months a go for a couple of hours and thought it was great.

mudshark
    Free Member

Sportpursuit.com have some Castelli stuff with good discounts at the moment.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got the fluro gillet and it’s very loud! Just not sure I could handle another but of clothing in the same colour 😛

mooman
    Free Member

The Gabba needs reproofing the same as most waterproof garments.
    I think they are superb.
    Even if they are wet they are still windproof, so you avoid the wind chill from a wet top.
    On the coldest of rides in mid winter I just wear a thin base under the gabba and a long sleeve roubaix jersey over the top .. toastie and warm.

Expensive – but very good.

turboferret

Tempted by one of these – what is the fit like?

Cheers, Rich

MrSmith
    Free Member

Cheers, Rich

Very Italian race fit.
    I get away with a small in the castelli espresso due softshell but am medium in a gabba (and most other brands jackets). I’m really slim and it fits me well, I would imagine some people will be going up a size if they are not racing snakes.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 71kg and have both medium and large Castelli jerseys. The medium feels a bit on the small side but OK for more aeroness but decided to stick with large now.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Love my Gabba, as above I wear it all the time during the chillier days, full length zip means that even on the cold starts that lead to warmer mornings you can regulate temperature easily.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Is the Gabba really that good that it’s worth the price over a jersey and a gilet or similar?

Wiggle customers seem to think so, scoring it 4.9/5 from 70 reviews.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What MrSmith says. I’m a bit of a racing snake and have a medium, it’s a snug aero fit, same cut as their race jerseys. I’ll usually wear a small in most other brands.

nemesis
    Free Member

Wiggle customers seem to think so, scoring it 4.9/5 from 70 reviews.

People in justifying their significant expenditure with good reviews shocker 🙂

I’m not saying it’s not worthwhile which is why I’m asking all the questions – I’m seriously tempted – but it is a bit of an item du jour at the moment so I just want to be sure that it really does perform that well as it does sound like it’d be spot on for the riding I do. Shame that they don’t do a non-black or fluro version though.

back2basics
    Free Member

i tried to order from evans and they said in an email after about 1.5 weeks of waiting they couldnt get it !

nemesis
    Free Member

Sportful grupetto – is this the right one? It kind of sounds just like a normal jersey with a little windproofing rather than similar to the Gabba but I may be reading it wrong

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-gruppetto-team-jersey/
    http://road.cc/content/review/90392-sportful-gruppetto-team-jersey

nemesis
    Free Member

Hincapie seem to be about the only alternative marketed as a ‘rain jersey’. I’m not going to buy from his company though

mrblobby
    Free Member

It kind of sounds just like a normal jersey with a little windproofing rather than similar to the Gabba but I may be reading it wrong

Yeah, looking at the Sportful range I’d have thought it would be something like the Fiandre NoRain jacket. Still doesn’t seem like a match for the short sleeved Gabba, which is basically a race jersey made from some showerproof soft shell.

Hincapie I’m not going to buy from his company though

Indeed!

adsh
    Free Member

Couldn’t get one to fit me at 6′ and thin. The XL was too big and the L was tight apart from a loose neck. Love Nanoflex arm warmers though.

mooman
    Free Member

I am usually get a medium jersey.
    The medium gabba was too tight – couldn’t do zip right up without strangling myself. Very tight.

I had to size up to a large. Bit longer in body than Ideal. But no point having a winter jersey you can’t zip right up on those colder days.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m just under 70kg and take a small in most jerseys, medium in castelli kit though.

turboferret

Splendid, I’m 5’10” and about 64kg, so pretty much racing snake shape, but I’ll order a medium based on feedback!

No chance of trying one on unfortunately, but there is a 90 day returns policy which hopefully I won’t have to use 🙂

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘PSA sort of – Castelli Gabba’ is closed to new replies.