Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • PSA snow chains at Lidl
  • MadBillMcMad

not much talk on socks so here is some info:

They really do work & fit time is probably similar to the chains. You wrap them around the top 2/3 of tyre, roll forwards 1/2 a wheel turn, warm your hands up & do the rest.

The BUT though is that you must take them off as soon as you are off the snow/ice as other wise they will shred.

On going to Europe I think the French law says you have to carry chains & to be honest personally I would not want to rely on socks for that sought of risk.

jam-bo

On going to Europe I think the French law says you have to carry chains & to be honest personally I would not want to rely on socks for that sought of risk.

so will the gendarme sitting at the bottom of a mountain pass…

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve been allowed to carry on up from the valley by the Gendarmes using Snow Socks a couple of times from Bourg St Maurice when the roads have been covered all the way down.
    (And the two other cars we were driving with both had socks too.)

And have seen loads of others driving on Socks to get to various different resorts all over Europe.

I’ve heard stories about people not being allowed to continue with Snow Socks, but these all seem to be a long time ago, possibly when they were new on the market and weren’t as accepted as they are now.

From my own personal experience, they are now accepted as “chains” in terms of being allowed to continue up the mountain roads by the Euro Rozzers.

phil.w
    Free Member

Having never been stopped in the years I lived there, I’d say it’s unlikely.

davidjones15
    Free Member

If they’re anything like the Spanish, then possibly yes. Main roads are likely to have check points where large vehicles are taken off the road and cars are made to put their chains on.
    EDIT: So they’re not like the Spanish then. 😀

dobo
    Free Member

bought the size 80 which are the ones the lidl chart says fit, £20 job done. They will probably only get one use a year on way to a ski resort but have been told i need them. Who knows if socks are accepted, rather not have to chance it or spend more.
    also bought some waterproof boots, just couldn’t resist it for £16.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

If it snows properly in the south this year and I don’t buy chains or snow socks I’ll be like a kid whose bike doesn’t arrive on xmas, but if I buy them and it doesn’t snow I’ll feel like a mug.

Which is the lesser of two weevils?

MrNutt
    Free Member

You’ll not buy them, and go sledging instead.

richmtb

So I’m off to Ballater for a week on Saturday.

Is a pair of snow socks a decent precaution to get me out of trouble or should I buy some chains?

molgrips
    Free Member

The BUT though is that you must take them off as soon as you are off the snow/ice as other wise they will shred.

Difficult in mixed or patchy conditions?

atlaz
    Free Member

What’s the price difference? I’m buying some chains just in case.

br
    Free Member

If it snows properly in the south this year and I don’t buy chains or snow socks I’ll be like a kid whose bike doesn’t arrive on xmas, but if I buy them and it doesn’t snow I’ll feel like a mug.

Nope, ‘cos you’d still be sat in the same queue behind folk who also haven’t them. Two years ago it took my wife all night to get home, she’d no probs having a Landie, but everyone else…

I recently bought an old X-Type Jag with AWD, surprisingly effective on the snow/ice we’ve had in the last week (our road is still covered), even with a worn set of Pirelli P6000’s.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope, ‘cos you’d still be sat in the same queue behind folk who also haven’t them.

Not necessarily. We got around the stuck people last year and took a different much quieter route.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘PSA snow chains at Lidl’ is closed to new replies.