Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • PSA snow chains at Lidl
  • dropoff

£20 a set, these are the same ones that we’ve used on the van for the last 3 winters. Easy to fit and work really well.

spooky_b329

Any independent reviews of Snowsocks V chains for short duration use…i.e to get down a steep road to the nearest main road about 1/4 mile away? Obviously going downhill, the last thing you want is to lose a sock!

dobo
    Free Member

I NEED SNOW CHAINS or socks? as driving to alps at Christmas and praying for snow.
    these are for a set of 2, so thats for 4 wheels?

also its says choose from size 70,80, 90, 100? wtf is that all about?

What fill fit a diesel Audi A1, not mine btw

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_36482.htm

oh and thanks for the PSA

argoose
    Free Member

I have 195/55 r15 and use the 70.
    There will be application chart on packaging, so go armed with tyre size.
    Socks ok but expensive and dont feel as safe as chains

dropoff

Price is for a set which is 2 wheels, and thats all you would ever put them on. Each size of chain will fit a range of tyre sizes.I’ve never used socks so I can’t comment but I’ve used the chains all over Exmoor during the winter and theyre ace.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Price is for a set which is 2 wheels, and thats all you would ever put them on

for a front wheel drive, but for rear wheel drive a set on both axles is recommended if you want to go and steer.

butcher

When you say easy to fit, are we talking doing it at the road side with numb fingers half way home from work – like 2 minutes quick?

dobo
    Free Member

excellent, just hope they got the sizes now

davidjones15
    Free Member

I think they’re well worth the money.

Edukator
    Free Member

You mean there are still people on STW that don’t fit Winter tyres? ❓

nealglover
    Free Member

When you say easy to fit, are we talking doing it at the road side with numb fingers half way home from work – like 2 minutes quick?

I would recommend Gloves, an old coat and something to kneel on.

And lots of practice in decent weather so you know what you are doing when the weather is crap and you are by the side of the road.

I would reckon 2 minutes each is about right once you know what are doing.

Then stop after a few hundred metres and tighten them up as they will have moved a bit.

unovolo
    Free Member

That pic of the BMW above sums up a large percentage of the clowns that drive them.
    See this too:-
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/110032225250/80-percent-of-bmw-1-series-drivers-think-the-car-is-a-front-wheel

dropoff

NG has it spot on, the retightening is important or you’ll snap them, but they are supplied with repair links.

d4
    Free Member

Cheers, just picked some up.

nealglover
    Free Member

The repair links are useful if you in the garage at home, but not so good at the side of a mountain pass in the dark with nothing but a leatherman and set of Allen keys 🙂

(Speaking from experience)

Drac

Hahaha no one else spot what’s wrong with Davidjones’ pic then?

bruneep

yes, I thought that was the reason he posted it.

dobo
    Free Member

can anyone who has these check the packaging to see if they will fit some 205/55/R15 tyres for an A1?

nealglover
    Free Member

I presumed that’s why he posted it too.

And unovolo commented 😉

properbikeco
    Free Member

apart from the bmw pic widely being acknowledged as a fake/photoshop (it did the rounds last winter) !!

plus, if they are on the rwd, you have no steering – basically 2 snow chains useless for that car regardless if on steering or driven wheels

Drac

Oh!

😳

d4
    Free Member

Looks like you need the size 80 ones from the sheet that came with mine. They come in 70,80,90 & 100.
    Edit, in responce to Dobo.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Asda are doing them, saw at weekend not sure of price as I have winter tyres so no need for them. Being Asda they are bound to be cheap.

bruneep

http://www.barland.co.uk/snowchainall.html

how does this guide compare to the Lidl one?

dobo
    Free Member

thanks D4 appreciate it, will take a trip to lidl and see if they have my size

also just googled asda for a backup option and they are socks for £40

http://direct.asda.com/Tex-Chain-Anti-Skid-Snow-and-Ice-Wheel-Covers/MASTERTexSnowChains,default,pd.html?dwvar_MASTERTexSnowChains_size=Small

davidjones15
    Free Member

😉
    I use winter/snow tyres, FTW.

Drac

I use the same tyres all year round and drive in any conditions and never been stuck. FTW!

dobo
    Free Member

bruneep, 205/55/r15 comes out as 70 on the barland chart so may be different to the lidl ones if D4 is right as he said 80.

will have to check them out, good to have some options though

dobo
    Free Member

I use the same tyres all year round and drive in any conditions and never been stuck. FTW!

but would you risk it driving to a french ski resort?

Drac

I don’t live or work in France and have no plans to drive there.

d4
    Free Member

bruneep, Looks pretty similar at first glance, not done a line by line check.
    May have just discovered I have the wrong size, looks like I need size 60 for my 195/60 r14’s by that chart.
    I’ve bought 70 as smallest available at lidl and mine seemed to fit between two sizes on the chart. Arse.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Drac, just because you’re the big man, doesn’t mean winter tyres aren’t great things. Plus they don’t just work in snow but cold temperatures. You might be a hero but no matter how good a driver you are, there’s no argument when your stopping distances are twice as long (unless you’re behind me and I have to do an emergency stop, and you kill us both, then your narrow-minded attitude would really annoy!).

Drac

Slightly over the top reaction there, I never said they weren’t a good idea or that no one should use them. I’ve not had the need to personally and as for stopping distance well that’s easy to cater for just keep further back.

We are supplied snow socks at work and never had to use them myself, last year they decided to fit winter tyres to all the fleet, well all except the rural vehicles. Luckily we had very little snow so never got the chance to not use them.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I never got stuck with normal road tyres, I just woke up confident that if the snow was up to about 8″ deep, that is when the front would be trying to work as a snow plough and preventing the car from moving full stop, I could hop in and drive on the winter set up. Quite useful when you live up a 20% hill. Fit and forget and for the extra expense It’s difficult to see a reason not to. 😀

Drac

I can see why people use them and that’s a great example but like I say never had the need. I could mention the conditions I’ve driven in but flyingfox might blow a fuse at my bragging.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Not long now. I’m looking forward to the snowy roads!

br
    Free Member

You need to be careful as neither socks nor chains like been driven on cleaned roads for long, so only really good to get you off where you are stuck. Then you need to stop and take them off – but the places to stop are usually covered in snow.

With my last car it was best to park it up until the snow cleared, 535i…

jon1973
    Free Member

but would you risk it driving to a french ski resort?

To be fair, there aren’t many French ski resorts in the UK. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Winter tyres: Brilliant in cool to cold conditions. Far more effective on snow than you might imagine.

Chains: necessary in French ski resorts. Effective but can be a PITA to fit and remove and a not fun when they snap. And horrible on the bits of tarmac.

Socks: light, surprisingly effective, easy fit on the roadside and become more effective as they wear. Worth riding them on tarmac a bit when you first get them to make them rough-up a bit. Probably wont last that long but fail without drama.

konabunny
    Free Member

I use the same tyres all year round and drive in any conditions and never been stuck.

you kill us both

#stwlol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘PSA snow chains at Lidl’ is closed to new replies.