Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA: Ski holidays now being sold at half price.
  • globalti
    Free Member

We bought our January ski holiday last August and last night Mrs Gti made the fatal mistake of checking the price on the ski company’s website to find that they are now selling that week for half the price we paid!

We feel stupid and not a little pissed off.

Next year we will book the week off work/school and wait until January to book the holiday.

Clobber
    Free Member

Link….?

andyl46
    Free Member

Might be cos there has been very little snow until recently, so no one has booked yet…

[edit] didn’t think that was a sweary word, thanks Father Ted…

donsimon
    Free Member

Link….?

I think the dude wants a holiday, you know, like a break from everything and a bit of R&R, not an opportunity for an STW meet. Sheesh!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Andy, have you read any snow reports? Plenty in here… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-stw-ski-and-snowboard-thread-20112-edition/page/10

Many resorts shut, or partially shut because of too much snow! Many resorts reported awesome opening weeks.

allthepies
    Free Member

Hardly a PSA if no further details though 🙂

Dark-Side

I got an email from Treeline Chalets yesterday offering a week in Morzine fully catered for 250 quid per person, if you can go on 15th Jan. The email also stated SleazyJet flights to Geneva were available for 60 return for the same dates. Bargain!

higgo
    Free Member

To an extent it happens every year.

There may be plenty of snow around now but it did seem to come late and was widely reported as having done so. Good for those going skiing. Bad for nervous bookers who decided to give it a miss this year and have now done something else with the money.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Insane snowfall this year. 5 metres on The Valluga. Avalanche cut the trainline to Zermatt. Really dangerous.

singletrackmind

Nothing new . Skiworld usually a good bet for a half price holiday .
    Inghams and Crystal also do some last minute deals .
    Sometimes the best price on on the monday 12 days before you leave. What hasnt sold over the weekend will be discounted , then as availablity dropsthe prices creep back up .

Been doing this for the last 5 years . You have to be flexiable with where you want to go and the level of accom . Being in the South helps as Gatwick / Luton and stanstead all reachable . Other airports are available , obviuosly .

You can track the snow reports and base your choice on where is looking good . You can also end up at the Chalet Innoko in VDI . Which is fine if you are a mountain goat or a fell runner .

I have paid as little as £299 for a CC including flight + transfer .

Alpine Answers also have a good list , but watch the ‘flights included’ box.

hth

globalti
    Free Member

No point in posting links if all the ski companies are doing it as confirmed by the post above.

Woody
    Free Member

When I skied 2-3 times a year I always waited until 2-4 weeks before I was due to go in order to check conditions. IIRC Crystal used to release the discounted weeks when it was 30 days prior to departure, so I’d imagine most others operate the same policy.

Had some fantastic deals at 1/2 price doing that, which meant I could afford the extra week, often in hotels which would otherwise have been well outside budget. Best one was a week in in January in a very nice hotel in Tignes which my ex and I got for under £1000 total incl. full area passes. Tried to re-book for March to go with our Daughter and it was going to cost £800 each without lift pass.

footflaps

Prices vary all through the season week by week depending on demand. Our week in Montgenevre, in Jan, went up and down every week before we booked it in Nov.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Ski holidays now being sold at half price.’ is closed to new replies.