Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • PSA – Silly cheap 200 odd lumen bike light/torch
  • Sirlickalot
    Free Member

I wonder what the environmental policies are of the far eastern factories that spew out this cheap stuff.

Rio

If they are pants, then I apologize

As one who's had to ride home holding a 1W Tesco torch in my hand after my Lumis packed up I'll be happy even if they are only 1W – they'll do what I want and act as a backup!

stuey
    Free Member

Yup the handle bar mount and back light are worth £6 alone.

ajantom

I wonder what the environmental policies are of the far eastern factories that spew out this cheap stuff.

I imagine they're pretty much the same as the far eastern factories that spew out the more expensive stuff.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so anyone actually used this off road yet???? any one bodged it into a helmet light yet???

surely some ones gonna give an off road mtb review soon??!!?!!?

ski
    Free Member

For those that have them, how long did they take to post?

zigzag69
    Free Member

Took about 1 week – 10 days to arrive I think.

Tried them out at the weekend – two mounted on the handlebar. Quite a tight beam, I setup one up for close stuff, the other focusing a bit further away – gives a reasonable but narrow beam of light up to about 20-25 feet.

I paired these with a helmet mounted DX / magicshine. Seems like a good combo, they were good enough to allow me turn off the magicshine and save its battery when riding riding tarmac, walkers paths, etc.

ampthill

If I'd known that they weren't really 7W I'd have gone for puple. 7W from AAA didn't compute. Still I need a light full stop so I'm happy

dawson

I'm toying with the idea of getting 3 – 2 on the bars and 1 for the helmet, but have concerns about run-times…..

I suppose it will be an inexpensive foray into the world of riding after dark….

Admiralable
    Free Member

Anyone tried these yet?

hoochylala
    Free Member

Hmm was hoping two on the bars and one helmet mounted would do me for after dark trips – maybe not now 🙁

Any chance someone can post a picture of the beam(s)? Perhaps zigzag69 would be so kind with his 2 bar mounted set up? 🙂

Irish_AL
    Free Member

+1 purple one here

pcb
    Free Member

Sweet backup commute light

granny_ring

Anyone had a chance to compare the beams of the red or purple lights to the 1W tesco torches?
    Are they brighter?
    Reckon the run time would be shorter though.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Still waiting for my two to be delivered.

speaker2animals

The three AAAs fit into a holder that then goes into the lamp. Does anyone know if there is actually any sort of single battery that could be used in replace of the pack? Just thinking a single unit of that size might pack a bigger capacity than 3 AAAs.

Shindiggy – when did you order yours and where from? The same eBay shop as the OP?

shindiggy
    Free Member

ordered mine from the ebay shop, only about 5 days ago so i'm not worrying, just being impatient,

My other half is soldering a driver and 7.2v rechargeable to them if they are bright eniught to bother with.

Rio

Got mine this morning. Not surprisingly the purple one and the red one seem to be the same apart from the colour! A quick check indicates that they're about the same brightness as the Tesco 1W torch but it's very battery-dependent; the Panasonic batteries that came with the purple one don't give anything like as much light as a fresh set of Duracells. The rear light comes with a slightly flimsy clothing clip; Mrs R has told me that this one has to be used when I'm out running on dark evenings 😐

May try to get some beam shots tonight if the rain holds off, then decide if it's worth modding one to take a better battery.

Edit: The batteries that came with the purple one are Pemasanig, not Panasonic, so not surprised they seem to have the internal resistance of a goat. Apologies to Panasonic for not spotting the blatant rip-off!

stuey
    Free Member

'internal resistance of a goat'

Surely a lube not battery issue ❓

lipseal
    Free Member

So you get a fee goat….cool 8) I can sell the lawn mower now!

RealMan
    Free Member

Got mine today. Will try it out soon, but the front light seems pretty sturdy, comes with a lanyard, but see no reason as I don't think the mount will let go in a hurry.

The rear light comes with a slightly flimsy clothing clip

+1

RealMan
    Free Member

Also I can't appear to fit the rear light on any of my seat posts, the bracket is tiny.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So how bright is it then?

Is it a pathetic 30 lumens or nearer the 250lumens of the Q5 torch I was hoping to replace?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Got mine today. The rear light is going on the back of my helmet. The front bracket is rather good and the torch seems ok. For the cash you can't complain.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For the cash you can't complain.

I'm northern and I can!

iainc

mine came today too. The red one, it's a bit less bright than the Tesco torch. seems sturdy enough. Back one will do for general duties. A good buy all in all 😆 (really bought it as a torch for the car anyway)

bigbloke
    Free Member

mine came today (purple one), not overly impressed with light output but it would be a useful commuter light or even a robust torch for general duties, built well too and really i shouldn't moan as it was dirrrrt cheap. So i guess its an ok buy.

DezB
    Free Member

Red one here, looks good for the backup commuting light I bought it for.

Rear light was DOA. Button doesn't work. Not really needed anyway.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i had one before but bought again for winter. They give a bit of light but i would say if you want a cheap night riding light go DX.

The mount is great, i still have my original one 😀

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Mine arrived today for about a fiver front and back lights from Hong Kong in under a week, Bargain 😀

lipseal
    Free Member

Got my purple one today but not tried it out yet.

ski
    Free Member

Mine came today, only fault I can find so far, is the reflector is not coated that well, a few spots in the coating.

Will find out soon if it can handle the rain 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Mine also came today – quite impressed. Now – how can i sort a better battery for it?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

mine came today too.

for the cash I'm happy as it's going to be primarly spare to leave in the car just incase I or a mate forgets a light it's not going to be bright but will save the day possibly

lipseal
    Free Member

Ok not the greatest but for the price seen worse. Have noticed that there is no sealing what so ever around the coloured ring and lense might be a problem on wet rides.

5AM
    Free Member

Has anyone who knows about these things got their hands on one to see if it can be modded, even just keeping the case out of the unit and changing everything else.
    It's the sort of thing I'd enjoy doing, but would need to be given a step by step as I haven't got a clue 😳

singletrackmind

The bar clamp holders also take a MTE SSC P7 torch. You have to mount them in reverse so the clamp end clamps up on the on / off switch on the P7 , as its a few mm fatter than the midsection . This does mean the torch is central over the bars so should be a tad more wobble / nose dive resistant.

I have the purple ronnie one, its OK in a Tesco torch kinda way .
    However with the £ / $ rate these P7 Ultrafires from DX come in at £14.00

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36356

Buy 3 for £42 , get smudge to make up a cell pack for 2 on the bars and keep 1 with an 18650 on your lid . More light than neccessary , with redundancy for what ~ £60. Manufacturer rated 2700 lumens , reality rated 1500 lumens.

5AM
    Free Member

Singletrackmind I like your idea above, it appeals to me a little more than going for the DX "bastid." Presumably I'd need to drill the battery casing to add a connector for any battery I might be able to get made up.

Any idea of how I would go about that, or a guide on best method perhaps?

(Sorry I really am new to this so please bear with me, and if I am going a bit OT I should perhaps start a new thread.)

disco_stu
    Free Member

mine turned up last week, the light isn't as powerful as the tesco torch but but makes a great additional front light for my commuter.
    the rear light is pretty good and it has the bonus of fitting into the clip holder on my panniers and topeak saddle bag so for that reason alone i might end up ordering another set

RustyNissanPrairie

had mine a week now, used for commuting.
    light output isn't great at all from the front, the flashing mode is useless-its too quick and isnt bright enough, its probably half the light output that. the continuous mode is-it dosnt flash on long enough. The beam is too tightly focused for commuting use.

The rear light has too many gimmicky modes to cycle through before you get to the off mode. No proper mount-only a 'hairclip' thingy

bugger all waterproofing on either light. front holder/mount is good.

Wouldn't bother with again even if they are only £6 delivered.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Silly cheap 200 odd lumen bike light/torch’ is closed to new replies.