• This topic has 25 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • PSA: Shimano R501 Wheels – £64 Posted.
  • will
    Free Member

Extra 10% off means free postage. Just bought two pairs. Bargain.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-r501-wheels-49086.html

mattbee

Nice. Ta for the heads up.

stumpy01

Hmmm. My hubs are feeling a bit meh at the moment and I’ve just ordered some new ball bearings for them to give them a service.
    I don’t think they are very good wheels – they seem quite flexy, so these are pretty tempting as an alternative!

muzzle
    Free Member

Ordered as a replacement for the tired commuter wheels – been meaning to sort for ages. Thanks.

simmy
    Free Member

Mmmmm, going to be passing Merlin in about half an hour, think I’m going to be £60 lighter 😀

freeagent
    Free Member

would these suit a 100KG rider who keeps knackering the OEM wheels on his Giant Defy 1???

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Bought some last week for use on the winter commute bike as I was sick of having to change bearings every few hundred miles on the FSA Team 30 pile of crap I had. They seem perfectly fine for what I want to use them for, a bit heavier than the Team 30 but at least I don’t have to break 5 tyre levers every time I change a tyre.

hatter

would these suit a 100KG rider who keeps knackering the OEM wheels on his Giant Defy 1???

24 spokes = No

What sir would do well to get is a set of 32h Open Pros on 105 hubs.

Not sexy but as good a combination of tough, cheap and reasonably light as you’ll get anywhere. Plus should you damage them they can be rebuilt with standard parts.

No better option if you’re a wheel masher on a budget.

qtip

I beg to differ with hatter. I’ve had one on the back of my Allez for 3 years with no issues whatsoever and I weigh over 100kg.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I went the other way, used to have 32 spoke open pros on 105 hubs but they just felt dead for dinner reason. Whereas the 501s I’ve replaced then with feel much more alive (I’ll risk using the phrase alive when disussing wheels!!!)

I’m not light and have done stacks of CX and commuting on them and theyve held up fine

cokie

Are there any equivalents to this with disc mounts?

lunge

I’m not quite that and they were fine. A bit heavy and not overly fast but they’re perfectly fine and that price is really good.

hooli

I’d say yes. I have put 2000 odd miles on mine and am significantly more than 100kg’s. When I bought them, they were a cheap stopgap but I haven’t got round to replacing them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I beg to differ with hatter. I’ve had one on the back of my Allez for 3 years with no issues whatsoever and I weigh over 100kg.

+1, my r-550’s (same/similar rim with straight pull hubs) are getting old, only snapped 1 spoke in many 1000’s of miles, although I’ve gone from 78kg-100kg in that time.

My other wheels are 24/28spoke and <1300g, it’s not the wheels it’s looking where you’re going and avoiding potholes!

Gary_M
    Free Member

yeh I ordered these yesterday as I use them on my winter/wet days commuter. These will do for a spring rebuild.

Mine were delivered this morning.

Bargain and top work Merlin

ElShalimo

Look good for winter.
    Will they take a 28mm or bigger tyre?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they take a 28mm or bigger tyre?

As long as your frame does, I’ve got 32’s on my commuter.

Are there any equivalents to this with disc mounts?

The equivelent MTB wheelset is £10 more, http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-mt15-29er-mtb-wheels-pair-77646.html

amedias
    Free Member

Average weight 1246 grams reat, 1036 grams front.

~2.3kg 😯

Gary_M
    Free Member

Will they take a 28mm or bigger tyre?

Yes I run 28mm on my commuter, even had 38mm studded tyres on last week and they were fine.

cp

I bet if you put a pair of the R501 on a scale they wont be far off that in the real world. The 1884g they quote is bobbins.

amedias
    Free Member

@cp, could that mean the MTB ones might be even more than quoted?!

zigzag69
    Free Member

Bought to replace some very tired R550s. Thanks OP!

cp

@cp
    , could that mean the MTB ones might be even more than quoted?!

More than likely!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IME they were pretty much accurate, don’t forget wheels are usually quoted without QR’s and shimano QR’s are about the heaviest there are.

Listings here, they’re actually 4g lighter than claimed (important if you’re a weenie!)
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadwheels

So Cp is talking bobins.

~2.3kg 😮

Not light, but shimano hubs are very heavy, so the wheels don’t feel like 2.3kg wheels as it’s not rotating weight. Bear in mind even CrestEX on Pro2 will be 1750g and pro2 rear hubs are 200g lighter, the fronts 70g, so the shimano ‘budget’ rims are actually the same weight as stans ArchEX or DT470’s.

cp

Two sets of shimano road wheels I’ve had were between 200 and 250g over quoted weight.

That said, as you say, there’s a significant portion of it at the hub, esp the static axle. The hubs are pretty good and I use shimano hubs on my winter road bike.

Whether they are over quoted weight or not, the rs501 are a mega bargain.

simmy
    Free Member

Fitted them last night and they seem fine for what I need.

I’ve got a Triban 3 and they are a lot lighter than the standard wheels.

Weirdly, the brakes seem loads better With these wheels.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Shimano R501 Wheels – £64 Posted.’ is closed to new replies.