Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • PSA: Rowberrow Riders
  • chipps

Hi there West Country types!

I've just had this in from a member of the horse world and wanted to pass it on. I know that you're all fine, upstanding members of the mountain bike community (well, from the riding I've done with you anyway) so could you just keep an eye out and be extra nice to horsey-types please? Cheers Chipps

"Hi there I'm hoping you could help and write a section about horse riders and bikers. Rowberrow woods and the surrounding areas are really nice this time of year, I'm a horse rider not brave enough to try biking although it does look like fun, But just recently my riding's being spoilt by bike riders there building tracks over tracks that's not my issue, my issue just lately is there riding through at such speeds and not thinking or caring that horse riders or pedestrians are and will be out if bikers are out 9/10 us riders will be too. I've had two incidents in the last week that has scared my horse and caused him to bolt did any body stop and ask if I was ok,NO. The first incident I had 10 guys fly out of the woods on to the track I was on and my horse spooked who can blame him?! Second guy coming down the hill didn't see me tried to stop but was too late and crashed right in front of us this is very scary for any animal. I would be really grateful if you could put a message out there just asking bikers to please be careful when coming on to a proper track and slow down for us horses. Lets all enjoy the woods have fun, and be safe."

Jo Arthur, local horserider.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Tsk tsk, you naughty people. *readies bombers*

MrAgreeable

Rowberrow has become big with the DH crowd recently, particularly after Bristol's main riding spot got shut down last year. I know a few of them and I'll try and put the word out – they're nice lads and hopefully they will get the message.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its understandable, since a fair few of the Rowberrow DH trails are totally blind where they cross fire roads and bridalways.

Its often a problem on Mendip at this time of year because its geographically small with a fairly limited ROW network and its facing increasing traffic year on year.

The flip side here is that one persons 'passed too fast' is another persons 'slowed down and passed carefully' and horse riding and biking are rather different in this regard.

Never the less, we all have a duty to be courteous and reduce trail conflict to a minimum.

elliptic
    Free Member

Lots of different user groups crammed in the woods – downhillers, trail riders, horse riders, dogwalkers as well as the shooters who have actual rights to the place.

The fireroad crossings (gap jumps!) do seem like the biggest potential problem.

Also agree it seems particularly busy this year. Makes sense if more people are coming down the road from Brizzle.

Clink

You speak so well Colin! Run in the next election maybe?? 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You wouldn't want me in charge!
    😈

Clink

You wouldn't want me in charge!

Oh, I don't know! Would there be an 'expenses' account for the singletrackmonkeys? 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sure, but you'll be the fall guy when it goes wrong and the press find out.

Eccles
    Free Member

I ride (in a clippety-cloppety stylee) down there from time to time and can attest that the bulk of horsey types are MTB friendly and good people to keep on-side.

From a horse-riders perspective as soon as anyone appears on the trail ahead down there you rein in, even if they're 500m away – safe braking distance is not really a concept you can apply to a moody horse on shared trails – so let 'em know you've seen them and that you will be slowing down in plenty of time, as that's what they have to do for everyone else, and everyone likes it when you're playing by the same rules.

If you're in a group doing a bit of (visible) self-marshalling and waving the guys up the hill to slow down or hang back will also get MTBers brownie points at no extra cost.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good call Chipps.

The local horse riders are fine. But horses think there are goblins waiting to leap out from behind every tree. Oh yeah that's us.

Clink

Like in all walks of life there are considerate people and w******. I'm always considerate (and wary!) around horses and keen that we all maintain our access to the countryside. I did, however, experience a woman riding a horse on commute home who 'told me off' because my LEDs (has other lights as well) were upsetting her horse – on a road. I had stopped and was waiting for guidance as to when would be suitable to proceed. In my mind if the horse/owner can't cope with a few LED's they shouldn't be on the road! 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

No need to be so thin-skinned, she was probably just figureing out what was spooking the horse herself, and asking you to turn them off. I know how antsy I can get when I realise the bike is just getting away from me and I'm about to lose controooooooooool!!!!

They're not predicatble or rational animals, but they have as much right to be on the road as you or I.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but – The safety of a horse is something I've discussed many times with my 'ex-horsey' (after a particularly nasty leg break) wife, particularly the on-road bit.

Cars need an MOT for safety, so do motorbikes.
    Drivers and riders of said machines need specific training in the safe operation of said machine and highway code behaviours.

Given that horses are so skittish and clearly bloody dangerous, why are they, or the riders, not certificated or trained for the road in some way? It appears to be entirely voluntary as to whether horses are accustomed to the road by their owners, and AFAICT any old fool can hop on and take one down the road.

I always hear horse riders making apologies for their horses, 'he doesn't like this that or the other' – why is this? Do they somehow get special dispensation from being adequately safe and consistent in behaviour?

Of course, by extension, there should really be some sort of training, certification/training for cyclists using the road too, since not all of us are drivers, but at least you don't have to condition a bike to traffic noise, other road users or flighty birds.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have the same thought about skittish horses on the road .It's not fair on the horse or other road users if it's scared shitless all the time. They don't have brakes or off buttons.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Comparatively low numbers, with comparatively low risk of causing damage if they do run amok. 99% of the time they just want to run away, not kick you.

These factors mean that skittish horses are about one millionth* of a the risk of a motor car to other road users. Sure, back when horses were the main form of transport people got run down and killed, and stagecoaches or skids used in cities were a well known hazard.

That was nothing compared to the carnage that was unleashed as motoring took off – accidents often resulted in fatalities in both/all vehicles involved.

I'd rather a bike run into me at 30mph than a car, due to the fact a 2 tonne vehicle with a stopping distance of ohio has rather more kinetic energy.

*a complete guesstimation

Eccles
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – it's the same "enshrined, right not a licence" that we have the benefit of. If you are really careless about it, you can get done under animal welfare laws, though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

comparatively low risk of causing damage if they do run amok

Except, one assumes, for the poor rider? 🙁

Edric64
    Free Member

I'd rather a bike run into me at 30mph than a car, due to the fact a 2 tonne vehicle with a stopping distance of ohio

I would rather be hit by a bike than an out of control 4 legged meal!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

we've ruined the message here, haven't we?
    🙂 😳

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Rowberrow Riders’ is closed to new replies.