Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA – Refracting Light around the Moon .
  • stanfree
    Free Member

No It’s not the new album from Muse , but a light effect around the Moon just now . Go outside and have a look.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just looks like a normal bright moon to me right now

stanfree
    Free Member

It’s maybe just up in the Central belt of Scotland , It has a massive Halo around It . Apparently It’s caused by ice crystals somewhere refracting of It. I had to get the kids out of bed to confirm I wasn’t having some sort of recreational flashback from the 90’s.

scotroutes

Just seen this posted on FB

http://kssimagesuk.wordpress.com/2014/11/05/lunar-halo-5th-november-2014/

All I see is a hazy moon behind some cloud

jodafett

Just got back from Glentress where I stood and stared at this for ages. It was stunningly strange!

stanfree
    Free Member

That’s what It was like in the Royal Suburb of Tranent Colin. 😀

TomB

Night shift, driving around rural cumbria and we spotted it, looked amazing!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Took photo’s of it last week or the week before when it had the ring but when I left work earlier it was a fair bit larger in diameter. Couldn’t be bothered taking pics as there was fireworks to snap!

martymac

We saw it, looks great.

sweepy
    Free Member

No luck here, too hazy.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Perhaps it was a northern phenomenon last night, disappointingly normal down south

P20

I saw this last winter, it does look amazing

beamends
    Free Member

saw this last night on night ride in stoke, epic

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve seen similar with the sun while skiing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f4Lpig]20130227_180307[/url]

Though from a camera you could say it’s a lens effect, but all in our group saw it just with our eyes. Weird at the time and the halo was pretty big.

Anyway, didn’t see anything like that with the moon last night, but it was very bright.

scotroutes

Driving home from Inverness last night I had to lower the sun visor in the car as it was so bright!

I’ve seen that halo a few times. TBH, I didn’t realise it was supposed to be so rare.

nedrapier

Great site about atmospheric optical effects and the science behind their appearance; here’s a bit about moon halos, but loads more in the menu bar on the left:

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/parmoon.htm

Lots of pretty pictures too.

nedrapier

Apparently It’s caused by ice crystals somewhere refracting of It

yup, ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. If there’s a lot of them with similar shapes, they refract the light to give this effect. The more similar the shape, and the more uniformally they’re oriented, the brighter the halo.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Refracting Light around the Moon .’ is closed to new replies.