Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • PSA: Racing through the Dark by David Millar £1.99 Kindle
  • Jamie
    Free Member

So much for buying less books…

cinnamon_girl

I’m still playing catch up, how about you Jamie? 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I am about 30 books behind on the paperwhite. It would probably be a lot less if I spent less time pissing about on here 😀

Yetiman
    Free Member

Purchased. Thanks CG 🙂

RustySpanner

Is it any good?
    Worth a read?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is it any good?
    Worth a read?

I’ll let you know in a about 6 months when I get round to it.

HTH.

scotroutes

Jamie – Member 
    So much for buying less books…

All that reading and still can’t get the basics right.
    Fewer, Jamie, fewer.

* shakes head and mutters *

akira

Pretty good read, entertaining little book.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Iron War looks good, purchased! Thanks.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Iron War is ace, such a good book about two fantastic athletes. David Millar….meh.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Will David Millar make any money if I buy it? If so I’m out…horrible little cheat of a man….

Jamie
    Free Member

All that reading and still can’t get the basics right.
    Fewer, Jamie, fewer.

* shakes head and mutters *

I mainly look at the pictures.

butcher

Is it any good?
    Worth a read?

I’d say so. One of the better books I’ve read. Gives a good insight into the whole doping culture.

Will David Millar make any money if I buy it? If so I’m out…horrible little cheat of a man….

I suppose it’s fair to call him a cheat. But he’s probably done more to try and eradicate doping than most people in the world of Professional cycling. I’m not sure he deserves to be called horrible. I’d suggest reading the book first before passing such judgements.

rOcKeTdOg

I’d not be surprised if someone else wrote it for him, once a cheat always a cheat no matter how loudly you spout that you’ve changed & are trying to make amends to yet again try to fool fans of cycling

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tired old debate that’s been done to death already. So many riders put in the same position as Millar and the overwhelming majority made the same decision.

Anyway what do you all use to read your kindle books? Using an iPad (non retina) and considering something better for reading on (paperwhite, retina mini?)

atlaz
    Free Member

Tired old debate that’s been done to death already. So many riders put in the same position as Millar and the overwhelming majority made the same decision.

Tired old cliche. So many riders put in the same position as Millar chose to do something different even if it cost them a career in cycling. I’ve read the book and whilst I applaud his honesty in some respects, I think he still tries to make himself come across as a victim at times which I found a bit annoying. The book isn’t bad and was (and still is) one of the better books by someone who’s been pinched for doping.

In terms of reading; I bought a paperwhite recently to replace my older kindle. Very happy with it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyway what do you all use to read your kindle books?

I use a kindle for my kindle books. A paperwhite 1. E-Readers, IMHO, really are the best thing for books. Especially if you’re outside.

scaredypants

thanks CG

(on doping, I like Nicholas Roche’s points though I see some people are accusing him of naughtiness now)

It p****s me off that eight or 10 years later, after winning the prize money, buying the big houses and the flashy cars, they decide to come clean when they’re cornered into it and then still blame somebody else. If you dope, don’t blame anyone else. It’s your choice. Admit it.

If you look at all the riders recently who have been caught and admitted doping, some people are saying it’s great that these riders are helping the sport. But saying, ‘I’m sorry, I was doping from this year to that year but I’m not going to do it again and I’m cleaner than clean… I’m helping anti-doping because I talk to kids about it,’ or whatever, that’s a load of bull. That’s not helping anti-doping.

Helping anti-doping is saying. ‘Okay I doped. I got it from this doctor. These are the riders that I met in the waiting room. This is how it’s done. These are the new products that are in the peloton that are not yet detectable. These are the products that we use to mask the ones that are detectable. This product does this, this product does that. This is how we beat the test.’ That’s helping anti-doping.

stevious

Boring doping argument aside, it’s one of the better books for giving an insight into the life of a pro cyclist and his descriptions of some of the racing is really great.

Superficial
    Free Member

Tyler Hamilton’s book is great for insight into the whole doping culture and life as a pro roadie. I didn’t really get the vibe that he wanted to sound like a victim, either, although I suppose you could read it that way.

Haven’t read this one though.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Well i am not selling my Treks just because Lance doped.People will always take in sport get use to it ,its not going away.

Speshpaul

No you should sell your T*eks because they aided Lala’s bullying of his accusers.
    They are dirty in a whole dirty mess.

project
    Free Member

In David Millars book its a good insight into the world of racing cyclists , the effort, the doping, and high rewards if you get it all right, and almost self destructon if you get caught out.

Not as frank and open as Mark Cavendishes books but a good easy read.

pondo

Great read and no sign of making himself out as a victim – “this is why people did it”. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

brakes
    Free Member

Good book I thought. Easy read.
    Big fan of David Millar – he’s honest, grumpy and not afraid of speaking his mind and sometimes he’s an outstanding cyclist. Seen some very memorable rides from him.

butcher

Tyler Hamilton’s book is great for insight into the whole doping culture and life as a pro roadie. I didn’t really get the vibe that he wanted to sound like a victim, either, although I suppose you could read it that way.

Tyler Hamilton’s book was very different I thought. I enjoyed it more, maybe because it’s so in depth and it just blows your mind. I’d recommend anyone to read both if they haven’t already, because they’re from very different perspectives. Where Millar always tried to resist doping (if you choose to believe him), Hamilton very much embraced it and went the whole 9 yards. Some of his insights are frightening. In fact it paints a really quite dark picture. Millar’s book is much more general.

atlaz
    Free Member

Great read and no sign of making himself out as a victim – “this is why people did it”. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

The point is he made out he had to do it. He didn’t and plenty of people walked away rather than stepping outside the boundaries of what was legal.

On the subject of Cav’s book; I’m just reading the latest one (I hadn’t read the first one) and I’m finding it really pretty dull.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

his book has probably made more money than Nicole Cooke did in her entire career

tpbiker
    Free Member

his book has probably made more money than Nicole Cooke did in her entire career

This…

The man made a fortune from been a cheat, and continues to do so from sales of his book. I’m sure its a good read, and if someone loaned me a copy Id read it, but won’t buy it on principle.

My loathing of the man is magnified by his utter hypocrisy. Its all very well to say hes sorry, but has he offered to pay a penny of his winnings and salary back that he didn’t have to?

Hes not helping the fight against doping, hes spent the last few years trying to rebuild his tarnished reputation. If he was serious about it hed spill the beans on everything he knows and donate the profits of his book to advance the anti doping cause.

atlaz
    Free Member

My loathing of the man is magnified by his utter hypocrisy. Its all very well to say hes sorry, but has he offered to pay a penny of his winnings and salary back that he didn’t have to?

My understanding was the French taxman took it all after he was engaged in a slightly dodgy scam where he was paid a low salary but most was paid to a company in Luxembourg to use his image. Obviously he owned the company. Not illegal providing you pay the taxes. He didn’t and when they had him for the doping, they investigated his finances and got that.

Hes not helping the fight against doping, hes spent the last few years trying to rebuild his tarnished reputation. If he was serious about it hed spill the beans on everything he knows

Other than Hamilton and Landis, almost nobody has come clean like this. I had respect for what Millar and Vaughters were doing with Garmin until the recent round of revelations; that they just keep saying “We knew about XXXXXX’s doping, he’s sorry, that’s good enough for us” is a bit bizarre. It’s one thing to have a team of reformed dopers but how about just giving ALL the info out so there’s no constant drip feed?

rOcKeTdOg

Seen some very memorable rides from him.

From him or from a syringe?

brakes
    Free Member

well, I only started following road racing after his ban and return so I don’t remember his doped victories.

but how about just giving ALL the info out so there’s no constant drip feed?

the sport would implode, the sponsors would withdraw and I wouldn’t be able to watch WorldTour cycling on Eurosport every evening.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Enjoying Iron War, good read so far. Paperwhite purchased too, much nicer than reading on the pad.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Racing through the Dark by David Millar £1.99 Kindle’ is closed to new replies.