• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PSA: Potential South Manchester traffic problems over the next 2 weekends
  • nbt

The M56 Bowdon View Bridge is a two lane single direction bridge over the M56 Motorway. Bowdon View Bridge carries westbound traffic from Manchester off the M56 at Junction 7 and over the M56 to Bowdon Roundabout, where it links to the A556.

The bridge will be demolished on the weekend commencing Friday 15th October to Monday 18th October. The new bridge will be installed the following weekend, commencing on Friday 22nd October to Monday 25th October.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/9083.aspx

What this means is that if you’re heading towards Wales (maybe to to visit Llandegla / CYB / Marin trail etc, for instance) from the Manchester area over either of these weekends, your journey will be screwed as the M56 will be closed: you’ll have to go all the way round past the Trafford Centre, so you’ll need to add on at least 90 minutes I’d reckon. Avoid it if you can.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve just emailed portlyrider to clarify this as he works for Highways.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Yes, the new bridge section has been sat at the roadside for a while now; it looks like they’ll just drop it into place, nip up the bolts and away you go.

Unfortunately I think I am riding in Wales on Saturday so will have to adapt my route, avoiding the A556 south past Mere as it will be totally banjaxed!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

He’s just come back and said. Deffo avoid.

portlyone

@Andy – can’t add much more than the link!

Better to avoid completely. Peaks? Lee Quarry?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Awesome. Finished commuting around Manchester 3 weeks ago and came off at jct 7 to head towards Knutsford. Sounds like this would have made my already crap commute a million times worse! Literally cannot imagine the amount of traffic on the surrounding roads and the M62 between Eccles and the M6 over the next few weeks!

nbt

Bump, this starts tonight so will affect people this weekend

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Potential South Manchester traffic problems over the next 2 weekends’ is closed to new replies.