Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • ribena
    Free Member

I bought mine a few months ago but it was only relatively recently built up, so they are refusing to refund.

My 2nd frame was the stealth black one, and has the same problem.
    I am now being sent a 3rd frame…

iolo
    Free Member

Google Planet-X and this comes up

Jimmy Saville’s bikes

Oh my lord, Jive bunny will have all who ride a Planet X bike labelled as a peaodaphile including pie charts and reference to lizard men to back it up.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ribena – I bought a large lime green frame 4 months ago and built it up over time. The seatpost (Planet X one) isn’t super tight in the frame and slips a little when the seat clamp isn’t tightened. When tightened though it’s fine – seems I was lucky going by this thread,

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I was considering getting a London Road especially when the black one came out. However, if you’re reading this Planet X, this thread has put me off ever buying anything from you again.

shermer75
    Free Member

I was considering getting a London Road especially when the black one came out. However, if you’re reading this Planet X, this thread has put me off ever buying anything from you again.

I’ve always been an On-One/Planet X fan but unfortunately I feel the same way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Smalls now £100

snownrock

£100? Not for me

wicki
    Free Member

In contrast to the last few posts I have now built mine up and love the ride and utility of the bike, does that excuse PX sad lack of quality control? NO , I think second gen frames will be improved lets face it some one needs an ass kicking for this batch ….. 🙄 😳

But the design and concept ….I will just say well done Brant.

richardthird

Guess I must have been lucky with mine. It’s a shame so many have had problems here. Anyway, gave mine another SDW spanking yesterday (Eastbourne to Ditchling then back via lower bridleways), kept good company with my mate’s Canyon Inflite, and nothing fell off or slipped down. All on the AWESOME tubeless Compass Barlow Pass 38c Extralight tyres.

flybywire
    Free Member

mine’s all built up – a large,it’s a good fit with 100mm stem and apprx 160mm seatpost.I like the px compact bars and silver/black tape 🙂
    Drivetrain is parts bin special 9speed x 2 but gives good enough range at 30/11 cassette and compact chainset. XT rear mech,sachs front,tiagra chainset,4503 shifters works well.

vittoria hyperspeed 37c front tyre for comfort/grip and 32c vittoria cross pro rear – roll well. The bike is on average 9minutes quicker on 15mile commute compared to the 29er!

try and get some pics on here

interested in cookeaa’s build there – how’s it going? Fby

cookeaa

Smalls now £100

That must have been a brief dip, back at £200 now

But if it goes that low again I’d say buy one, bin the frame if you want £100 for a carbon CX/Gravel disc fork with rack mounts isn’t too bad IMO there’s a few frames about hat it could be used with…

Rode mine for the first time this morning Really liked it, bigger post is a winner, but having it in silver means cuffs and collars don’t quite match, good job such things don’t bother me too much:

Final build pic from last night:

-Stem needs to be a shade longer (knew that already)
    -Old Tiagra/SLX 1×9 Gear shifting is OK, not as snappy or nice as the 10spd on my Road bike or MTB but adequate…
    -Probably needs a bigger chainring, spent most of this morning in the bottom 3rd of the cassette riding along Flat armoured tow paths and a wee bit of tarmac, loaded up for some touring it would be OK with the 34t fitted but I think a 38t might be a better choice for my expected use.
    -Needs a chainstay protector (I’ll hack up an old inner tube tonight).
    -I need to get used to the sound of stones being pinged off of an Aluminium frame again it can be a little disconcerting (rather minor user related one that)
    -The BB5’s are surprisingly good and weren’t too hard to set up…
    -I’m Actually really happy with the wheels I built for it, even if they are a little “Old School”…

Otherwise I really like it…
    It’s certainly not quite perfect yet, but so far I’ve not spent much more than another £150 getting the frame built up so it’s been a bargain buy for me a whole bike for about the list price of the bare frame…

ads678

I had an email back from PX, they say that there has been no recall of the frame as their engineers have deemed it not to be a danger to the frame or rider using it. They say that as some customers have successfully used a 31.8 seatpost they are considering supplying the frame with this size seatpost as standard in the future. They also told me that a small amount of play will not compromise the frames integrity.

I love the bike and am gonna try a cheap 31.8 seatpost to see if it fits better than the 31.6 i have, and if so I might spend a bit more and get a thomson!

ribena
    Free Member

WTF? That’s not what they told me!

Sent my replacement frame back to them, and they said they’d measured it at 31.59mm (!) so they just sent it straight back to me. They refused to refund and didn’t admit any fault with the frame at all.

They are clearly talking nonsense as all 3 of my 31.6 seatposts have a gap when inserted into the frame. I’ve ordered a vernier caliper to check.

If i want to get a refund, its going to have to be small claims court… but I’ve no idea if I’d win or not. How would I prove 31.8 is unacceptable?

I paid 300 too, not 150.

tomd
    Free Member

Sent my replacement frame back to them, and they said they’d measured it at 31.59mm (!)

Probably one of their own brand vernier callipers.

dragon
    Free Member

as their engineers have deemed it not to be a danger to the frame or rider using it.

What exact engineering qualifications do Planet-X staff hold?

ribena
    Free Member

If 31.8 is fine, I wonder why they replaced the first frame I sent them. All I did was ask them to inspect it. The 2nd frame is exactly the same.

I think their supplier has refused to refund them so they are doing the same to the customers.

cookeaa

…They say that as some customers have successfully used a 31.8 seatpost they are considering supplying the frame with this size seatpost as standard in the future…

[Waves]

Well I know I have used a 31.8 post, and I emailed PX to tell them that, and linked this thread, using the word “Customers” (plural) suggests other’s have tried a bigger post, has anyone else?

I know some have said they found their seat tube reamed out to 32.2mm so 0.6mm oversized (-0.3mm wall thickness, Hmmm) that doesn’t inspire too much confidence TBH, how have they substantiated there’s enough margin in a tube with that much reduction in section that originally designed for?

Seems quite funny changing the listed spec’ to match a manufacturing error rather than admitting the QC ballsup but hey ho…

Happy (but probably a bit more cautious with PX “Bargains” in future) customer…

flybywire
    Free Member

Alright, gravel specific set up Cookeaa.. like the retro silver wheel build 😉
    I have a spare 40t chainring if you need? (104bcd 4bolt)

Got 2 pics here.. for urban/road
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12385000/

sorry to hear tales of woe.. I’m sure there’s a seatpost out there that fits!

ahwiles
    Free Member

as a professional measurement geek:

measuring an internal-diameter, with verniers, is difficult at best. Measure the same thing 3 times, repeated with 3 different operators and you’ll have 9 different results.

(expect a spread of results covering at least 0.2mm)

let’s say the tolerance on a 31.6mm seat-tube is +/-0.05 , you’ll have an UpperControlLimit of 31.65, and a LowerCL of 31.55.

That’s a tolerance band of 0.1mm.

you need a measurement device with an uncertainty 1/10th of the tolerance band to have confidence in the measurement.

That’s 0.01mm (10microns).

That’s definitely not a vernier.

The factory making these frames needs calibrated go/no-go gauges if their QC is to have any credibility.

(you can use a vernier for quality control, but you’re wasting your time)

even with a calibrated vernier, even with an operator with no pressure to get the ‘right’ value, the claimed measurement of 31.59mm is laughable. *bold*

it’s much easier to measure an O-D with a vernier, the jaws will naturally find the highest points.

Northwind

ribena – Member

If i want to get a refund, its going to have to be small claims court… but I’ve no idea if I’d win or not. How would I prove 31.8 is unacceptable?

Don’t think you have to, you’d just have to show it’s not as described wouldn’t you? It doesn’t have to be a fitness for purpose issue. And perhaps all this evidence of them misleading customers and giving conflicting advice would strengthen your position

Other things to consider might be the distance selling regulations, if those still apply in your case, they’re very powerful… or claiming back from a visa provider if that applies.

Their approach does work- when they ripped me off, I gave up eventually in frustration after about the 4th different set of blatant lies. Ought to have taken them to court but I didn’t have the energy at the time, really regret that. Not so much for the money but because they bloody deserved a shoeing.

Bottom line is there’s enough people that’ll buy from them in future that they don’t think twice about dry bumming customers- some of those will even go back for more.

jeff

I had Yodel rub salt in the wound yesterday.

Stayed in all day waiting for pick up, but they still managed to sneak a card through the door and miss me.

I hate yodel

ads678

Not sure whether i’d buy from them again in the future or not, although other stuff I’ve had from them has been good, but i’m not gonna send my frame back at the moment. I can’t see it being dangerous but i will regularly check the seat tube. If it does start to crack i have my email trail as back up.

The small amount of play will probably be sorted with a 31.8 seat post as per cookeaa. It’s not ideal as there’s not too many 31.8 seat posts out there and I was thinking of getting a carbon one, but at least if I plump for a Thomson it should last longer than the frame!!

ahwiles
    Free Member
    ribena
    Free Member

I’ve realised I already have a 31.8mm seatpost in my Brompton.

Just tried it in the stealth black frameset they said was 31.59mm and its a perfect fit.

wicki
    Free Member

It would be nice if a magazine took this up and asked for an official comment from PX, it might make them think a bit more about the customer in future.

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

I have just switched to an On One seat post from my MTB. Seems a much better fit than the PX one I bought with the frame. Both say 31.6 on them but the On One is definitely snugger. Will see how we get on.

ahwiles
    Free Member

wicki – Member
    It would be nice if a magazine took this up and asked for an official comment from PX, it might make them think a bit more about the customer in future.

you mean ‘actual journalism’…?

dragon
    Free Member

It would be nice if a magazine took this up and asked for an official comment from PX

What a bike mag do some journalism 😆 That’ll get in the way of riding the latest stuff free with their mates in California, Italy or where ever.

cookeaa

@FBW, I’ve actually got a spare XT 40t ring in the spares box I think, but I’m wanting to use a N/W and I reckon 38t will be just the right size for my little legs, it will wait though it’s not too spinney with the 34t and at least i’ll be able to climb most things on it…

Your build looks good and Racey, I think I’ve spotted a couple of other London Roads going between Reading and Newbury along the A4 at commuter O’clock in recent weeks…

Kennet tow path is a really nice commute compared to the A4, I Reckon I was maybe 15 minutes slower than my normal near Parallel Road route this morning, not too bad…

flybywire
    Free Member

… good call not to overgear as to cope with any steepish hills without honking it, for instance crookham from thatcham station..

the towpath is a good option this time of year, has few locks and the bridges are easy/fast to ride. As it’s fishing season now in the evenings your progress can be halted to negotiate 12metre poles across the path (like last wednesday x10!!). Good going at being just 15mins slower than road on a roadbike.

I haven’t seen any other LR’s yet, in fact after reading this thread I’m considering powder coating the frame and fork to try & make it unrecognizable and wear a paper bag over my head. 😆

ads678

I saw a green one in Leeds this morning, I was in the car though so couldn’t stop to check his seat post!! 🙂

flybywire
    Free Member

that’s the issue.. being asked at ASL’s about the seatpost/seattube 😕

cookeaa

Next time I bump into you in Thatcham I’m sure the traffic won’t mind waiting while we get the vernier’s and Go/No-Go gauges out to inspect and compare frames and seat posts at the lights…

flybywire
    Free Member

haha, there’s enough traffic lights – the traffic is used to waiting!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I am not the first here to say this but after ploughing through the thread I have gone from almost certainly buying a London Road to not under any circumstances

wicki
    Free Member

wicki
    Free Member

This morning I received an email asking me to review planet x on a product I purchased, the head set for my London road, it seams a little odd that I have not been given the same opportunity for the London road frame set. ❓

uwe-r
    Free Member

I locked my bike up next to a PX-LR this morning. Couldn’t help but have a quick look at the seat clamp. It had two! One normal one and a second one clamped to the seat post (possibly off a 27.2 frame?). I assume the second one stops the tube sliding down into the frame! 😯

wicki
    Free Member

I did 50 km on mine this morning seat post never moved.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.