Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA – Perthshire / M90 much worse than the forecast would sugguest tonight
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I summary – Wheelspin at 60mph in a straight line on m90. Following a van that decided to show us his plumbers livery on both sides repeatedly!

We’re just back and I’ve just looked at the met office weather forecast and it doesnt seem too bad. 0 to -1. In reality after driving from Perth to Edinburgh – I’m glad to be alive.

I’ve never had wheel spin at a constant speed in a straight line before.

I thought the car was fubar – revs climbed up suddenly and speed dropped at the same time. Road looks gritted and fine – but the car thermo said -6 in some places. Lorry’s were getting nervous / slowing right down.

Anyways, just in case anyone in Perthshire is watching. Or maybe its my pants driving 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I stay near Kirkcaldy, roads here are treacherous. Even in a 4×4 its wheelspin city.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

@Mc – we know it’s icy but on the motorway somehow – perhaps it’s daft – we expect warnings / limits. And the bbc forecast is relativly ok.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Grit freezes at -5. Just drive slower.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Take responsibility for your actions, how the hell is some one sat in an office miles from where you are supposed to tell you what the tarmac is like on the road in front of you?

YOU were going too fast for the conditions and it was YOUR responsibility to drive at the appropriate speed for the conditions NO ONE ELSES.

If you dont feel confident enough to make your own decisions in life do not venture out of the door…

Stoner
    Free Member

let me lend you a ladder to help get down from there FD.

🙄

The OP was referring to the lack of warning on the extent of the freeze, not what to do when you find yourself in it. In fact tuning in to the forecast rather suggest he does take responsibility for his actions and might well have stayed at home if the forecast had more been more accurate by saying the temperatures were going to be well below salt water freezing temp?

ojom
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – i think he was pointing out to others so as to avoid an accident happening to someone else. Not sure if you got the wrong end of R’s post – he wasn’t complaining and requiring someone to remind him of his responsibilities which he will no doubt be aware of. He is a very sensible chap.

Ronan – thanks for the info, got people up that way i will let know.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Think it’s just the combination of fast melt and rapid freeze. Not a hell of a lot you can do about it. Incredibly difficult to see the ice and under normal circumstances the roads would be fine at those temperatures.

Forecasts have been works of fiction lately though.

Glad you’re ok and thanks for the heads up. West side of edinburgh is pretty bad today too.

iain1775
    Free Member

dont you just LOVE pretentious people that RANDOMLY CAPITALISE selected WORDS on the pretense that this GETS their point ACROSS better and makes them look SUPERIOR even though THEY completely MISSED the POINT of the original COMMENT

molgrips
    Free Member

Re the weather forecasts, I dunno about you but I saw loads of warnings about ice this whole week.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

perthshire (nr methven) -2 this morning, dropping to -7 at perth itself then -3 between perth and dundee
    what’s the problem other than someone hitting some black ice and giving themselves a fleg?

Trekster

Why do we need warnings?
    Have we all lost our senses?
    Stick your nose out the door, cold, v-cold = could be ice!!
    Modern cars with temp gauge showing any minus temp = ice 💡
    Too many people appear to have the mindset that gritted roads = being able to drive at normal speeds 💡

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It took ALOT of EFFORT to use caps though, I don’t often get to it on my keyboard !

cupra
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem travelling north on it on sat night around 11pm. car was showing 4C but we hit balck ice a fair few times. Decided to slow down kick back and just trundle home.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do we need warnings?

We don’t need them, but they are nice. That’s why the OP was giving us one…

Nothing but sensible behaviour being talked about here, don’t see what the problem is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Perthshire / M90 much worse than the forecast would sugguest tonight’ is closed to new replies.