Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • PSA – Panorama tonight, Do sports products work? 20.00 BBC1
  • Cougar

[citation needed]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The farmers seem to be doing a good job of stopping people processing milk today.

{Daily Mail issue #295762 20/07/2012 page 4}

beej

Just to add to the debate:

http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/news/panorama

chewkw
    Free Member

The sport drinks have been a con for many years …

jacko791
    Free Member

So what I took from it was:
    -sports drinks do work but only if you do sports
    -drink when you’re thirsty
    -wear trainers that fit
    -the only supplements that have been shown to be effective are creatine and caffeine

The surprising bit for me was that the South African Scientist completely dismissed the need for electrolytes outright. I’m no expert but I always thought it was a good idea to replace all the salt that comes out through my skin and makes my face go all crusty. It must have been doing something, right?
    The fact that they had to travel to South Africa just to find someone who had these views did make me sceptical though when you consider how many sports scientists there must be in this country.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The fact that they had to travel to South Africa

Or could it be that Noakes is a bit of an authority on the subject?

I thought the point was that the level of electrolytes in most products was so small so as not to be worth it? Proper dehydration products ie diarlyte require dilution in 200ml of water?

crikey
    Free Member

The surprising bit for me was that the South African Scientist completely dismissed the need for electrolytes outright. I’m no expert but I always thought it was a good idea to replace all the salt that comes out through my skin and makes my face go all crusty. It must have been doing something, right?
    The fact that they had to travel to South Africa just to find someone who had these views did make me sceptical though when you consider how many sports scientists there must be in this country.

It’s no surprise to me; I’ve been banging on about this for ages, but everyone ‘knows’ that when you sweat you ‘need’ salt.

Except you don’t.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-1-theories-and.html

I’ve posted this link about 5 times on here, but it’s up against years of recieved wisdom and more pertinently up against the marketing budgets of the sports drink companies.

The idea that sports scientists are somehow less valuable because they come from South Africa is a wee bit silly; ask yourself how many sports scientists in the UK align themselves with sports supplement manufacturers…..

jacko791
    Free Member

Actually just rewatched that bit and he says “the amount of electrolytes present has no impact on performance”. So yes it does sound like he’s suggesting a higher presence may have an impact, but the way he says it makes it seem like we would need to be consuming multiple times the amounts present to get any effect. So how much do you actually need?
    I usually stick about 5% sugar in my water and probably about 0.5% salt, usually just done by taste. Seems to work OK but no idea if it’s optimum.

jacko791
    Free Member

That is an awful article. It’s main point seems to be that electrolyte depletion won’t cause cramp, then uses examples of people cramping due to electrolyte depletion as part of their argument “In fact, in people who have lost a great deal of salt and have become hyponatremic (not during exercise, but clinically), we know that they cramp in ALL their muscles.”
    They argue that as you sweat, the electrolyte concentration increases in the body then they say
    “Of course, those of you who read our fluid series might be thinking that if you then drink a lot of sports drink, you can reduce the electrolyte content, but that’s yet another reason why drinking too much is not a good idea…”
    So they are saying that you don’t need to take on electrolytes unless you are drinking while exercising, but you shouldn’t drink while exercising because it will lower electrolyte concentration.

crikey
    Free Member

Um, I think you are a little confused, and you could do with reading the series of articles.

Or keep on drinking the Gatorade. 😆

jacko791
    Free Member

Just read this one

And the summary of that seems that if you drink enough water to maintain pre exercise hydration levels then your electrolyte concentration levels will be too low. If you do the same with Gatorade then the situation won’t be quite as bad. So if you want to remain hydrated you should drink a drink with MORE eletrolytes than Gatorade.
    This isn’t the advice of their article though which suggests the best way is to allow yourself to dehydrate. Probably alright for most people but if you are completing multiple long sessions in a day this probably isn’t the best advice.

Macavity
    Free Member

About 1:00:00 in…..

donsimon
    Free Member

Fortunately Power Balance didn’t get a look in, so I guess they can’t be included in the snake oil category.

crikey
    Free Member

The fundamental points are;

1.) Cramp in sports is not due to electrolyte depletion.
    2.) Sweating increases the concentration of electrolytes in your body.
    3.) The human body has a very well tested and extremely efficient method of regulating electrolyte concentration.
    4.) Drink when you are thirsty.
    5.) Sports drink companies exist to make money.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

So Ernie, a few too many powerades last night? From the Harwood thread….

What a ridiculous comment. This is not “the Harwood thread”.

This is a thread concerning how products which have no real value are marketed and sold to a gullible and poorly informed public.

Marketing goes to the very heart of capitalism and is indisputably linked to the sale of sports products.

This thread does not have the vaguest connection with an incident in which a thug who had successfully slipped through the Met Police vetting procedure attacked an innocent man who was walking away from him with his hands in his pockets.

I have to say teamhurtmore that you are starting to get as daft and tedious as Zulu-eleven with your petty nonsensical diversionary tactics.

hilldodger
    Free Member

beej – Member
    Just to add to the debate:

http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/news/panorama

Excellent article, just about says it all……

donsimon
    Free Member

Damn thos gullible consumers for not doing any research? Damn those evil marketing men for forcing products on to stupid people… Hang on, haven’t the powers of the marketing men been proven as being a big fat zero. Marketing doesn’t work!! 👿

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Marketing doesn’t work!!

Only if you have a strong mind and strong head*

*One that doesn’t need a helmet that a lot of people have been fooled into buying.

Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Panorama tonight, Do sports products work? 20.00 BBC1’ is closed to new replies.