Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • PSA – Panorama tonight, Do sports products work? 20.00 BBC1
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I really don’t get why folk are dissing the programme.

It’s not aimed at folk like us, and I certainly learnt something.

brakes
    Free Member

who is it aimed at?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

who is it aimed at?

Idiots that buy energy drinks?

brakes
    Free Member

I must confess that I sometimes buy Lucozade Sport after cycling, but that’s because I like the taste and it quenches my thirst.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aimed at folk perhaps less cynical/educated/aware than users of a middle class sports forum?

donsimon
    Free Member

Aimed at folk perhaps less cynical/educated/aware than users of a middle class sports forum?

Have you been playing away? What is this sports forum you speak of?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry, “buyers of overpriced overmarketed sports products” forum 😀

Sandwich

But Always taste really vile, especially the red ones

I don’t think they’re a sports supplement, I was under the impression that they are a liniment. And they’re blue according to the ads.

neilferther
    Free Member

@ Bruce Wee..Two pints of Guinness and a bag of chips every night was what fuelled Andy Mcnab through SAS selection.

Kryton57

So in conclusion:

A) Non diet Sports drinks may be of assistance to endurance athletes performing beyond 1 hour
    B) drink when your body tells you to
    C) sexy trainers is for kids and don’t benefit athletes
    D) supplements are no better than normal food, but there convienience is in the eye of the beholder
    E) jam sandwiches FTW

Have i got that right?

martinhutch

Obree was class. The science behind perfect jam sarnie construction (note: no butter) plus his post-ride sardines on toast with microwaved broccoli…

Also liked the S African prof cracking up when asked about ‘low calorie’ sports drinks…

It wasn’t a desperately bad programme by Panorama standards, and although sports drinks/supplements are a pretty easy target, the message hasn’t really got through to the majority of punters.

atlaz
    Free Member

I tend to avoid programmes that can be lumped into the category of “Expose on something a person of average intelligence would know but idiots think is a problem”.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

when asked about ‘low calorie’ sports drinks…

Ah, that would be this stuff called “water” then.

Actually I was surprised to learn that there had never been a death associated with dehydration in marathon races but 16 deaths (and countless injuries) associated with overhydration.

And I’m also surprised to see that the NHS still maintains the claim that people should aim to drink six to eight glasses of water a day, although they do warn of the risk of too much water :

Avoid dehydration

Always drink plenty of water when you exercise to prevent dehydration. If you become dehydrated, your physical and mental fitness will be impaired.

Aim to drink one glass of water for every 20 minutes of exercise. This should be in addition to drinking the recommended six to eight glasses (1.2 litres) of water a day. If you exercise in warm weather, or participate in endurance sports, you will need to drink more.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sports-injuries/pages/prevention.aspx

TBH I see very little difference between those who are conned into buying useless products which are no benefit to them at all through clever marketing, such as calorie-free water, and those who are conned through clever marketing into voting for completely useless government policies which are also of no benefit to them at all.

Capitalism has always excelled in taking people for suckers.

Mounty_73

So is it worth wasting an hour of my time?

Its sat on my iplayer.

donsimon
    Free Member

So is it worth wasting an hour of my time?

I’d go for it, I thought it was quite informative and interesting.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d say watch it.

I just enjoyed knowing I’d been right all along. Despite what all the clever people say on here… a surprising number of forumites and fitness enthusiasts buy into all the supplement shite.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So Ernie, a few too many powerades last night? From the Harwood thread….

ernie_lynch – Member
    I think probably only Zulu-eleven would try to claim that and turn this into a right v left issue.

..followed above by

ernie_lynch – Member
    Capitalism has always excelled in taking people for suckers.

Why stop there….surely this is one for your Law to be invoked?

edit – BTW, probably is worth watching and IMO better than the earlier posts here predicted. As an ultra runner, it always irritated me the way that the (public body !?!) BBC would give out the wrong information about hydration for years in a row, without challenge. Hopefully that will be addressed now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Love the irony of this thread headed by the SIS flash advertising on this website. what was it 40% better…

…so STW, are you happy with this claim and therefore happy to take money for this kind of advertising?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I just enjoyed knowing I’d been right all along

So you were right twice in one day then?! 😀

Karinofnine

I enjoyed the programme and it felt good to have my choices affirmed.

For very long rides I use cheese, sultana and mayo on gluten-free bread sarnies (with garlic if I am alone), or honey on gluten-free toast with cinnamon sometimes and sometimes a bit of salt. I include spread or butter because I like the taste. Also I find it psychologically beneficial to actually eat proper food.

But I take gels too, because they are a space-efficient way of carrying energy and I like the security of knowing they will push me back to the station/car if I bonk.

Always water in the camelbak/bottle – it’s not sticky, you can wash stuff out of wounds/your eyes with it if necessary, it’s free and it doesn’t encourage nasty bugs to grow in your bladder/bottle.

My running shoes were £15 from Lidl . . . I really don’t care if I don’t look cool 🙂 They are comfy, and I trash running shoes quickly anyway. (I think it’s because I actually do use them for exercise.)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m right many times a day Dirty. Infact I can count on one hand the times I’ve been wrong this year.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s worth watching if you have the patience to wait for the few informative viewpoints to surface.
    I didn’t and kept turning over when it was along the lines of:
    reporter: “do you know how many teaspoons of sugar are in a bottle of Lucozade?”
    punter: “oh, I don’t know, five?”
    reporter: “Eight.”
    punter: “oh my god, I can’t believe it. that’s astonishing. that’s a lot of sugar to put in an energy drink designed to give you energy from it’s high carbohydrate content, etc.”

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’m sure you are TSY, but that would make your ego even worse if i admitted that! 8)

Going to catch up with the programme tonight.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just because I know I’m Awesome!!! doesn’t mean I have an ego!

Where are the supplement fanbois when I want to point and laugh at their lack of muscular definition?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Common sense innit? And manufacturers aren’t lying necessarily, you’ve just got to bridge the gulf between figures selected in isolation and what you’re actually doing. E.g. it’s probably true that manufacturer X’s new frame is 33% stiffer than the last one, but it probably won’t make a jot of difference to 99% of riders. Similarly manufacturer Y’s sports drink might have twice as many carbs or vitamins or whatever as water, but for most people drinking it when they play footie once a week it’s not going to do anything for them that water wouldn’t.

miketually
    Free Member

My current Sports Fluid Replenishment and Fueling Drink™ is pure apple juice mixed 50/50 with water.

For a Sports Fueling Bar Food™ I’m using Asda mini pork pies at one per hour.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The hamsters seem to need some sort of kick in the arse…

miketually
    Free Member

The hamsters seem to need some sort of kick in the arse…

Or a Red Bull?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TSY – was that intentional???

Cue – Go West on the radio 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Was what?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s worth remembering that Alf Tupper, Britain’s best runner ever, lived mostly on fish and chips.

I’m sceptical – he’s heel striking terribly.

Silly programme anyway. Do carb drinks help refuel after 3 hours in the saddle? Of course. Does an HMB pill every morning make you into superman? Of course not.

It’s bizarre how no-one ever had a problem with lactose intolerance and other such pseudo-medical b***ocks until the past few years.

How do you know? Lots of people used to have a bad tummy after drinking milk, I’m sure. Now we just know why that happens. It’s definitely NOT BOLLOCKS. Make my wife drink a pint of whole milk and then go into the toilet after her a few hours later. Go on, I dare you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What about cheesecake and coke for an hours exercise Mol?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TSY, Enough said…phew….just my mind working overtime then!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It might’ve been THM… I just wanted to know if you know 😉

Mounty_73

Just watched the show, I thought it was interesting, learnt a couple of interesting points, the rest of it is just down to common sense.

Jam sandwiches all round then?! 😉

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’ve been using the following routine for years:

When I’m hungry I eat
    When I’m thirsty I drink

Sometime I get crazy and eat or drink even when I’m not hungry or thirsty!

piemonster

When I’m hungry I eat
    When I’m thirsty I drink

Lunacy

TheFopster
    Free Member

Took my eight year old daughter out last Saturday morning for some XC fun at Woburn. Stopped at the chip shop on the way home. Start ’em young so they don’t learn bad habits – that’s the way forward!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    It might’ve been THM… I just wanted to know if you know

Not from personal experience ! 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

It’s bizarre how no-one ever had a problem with lactose intolerance and other such pseudo-medical b***ocks until the past few years.

Do a bit of research, Humans are Lactose intolerant except for a genetic mutation that allows some people to process milk.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Panorama tonight, Do sports products work? 20.00 BBC1’ is closed to new replies.