Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • PSA – Panorama tonight, Do sports products work? 20.00 BBC1
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member
    wwaswas

So we have an hours program and the answer is;

Spoiler:

No, probably

I do fear 59 and a half minutes of padding around a relatively simple conclusion.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not sure any programme has ever had so many PSAs. 🙂

I wonder how many STWers hope that the answer is “No”.

EDIT: And as usual, some have already made their minds up without even seeing the programme.

jota180
    Free Member

I suspect the answer will be

No, well sort of, maybe, sometimes

wwaswas

errm, have you read the article that was linked to?

concluding: “In this case, the quality of the evidence is poor, the size of the effect is often miniscule and it certainly doesn’t apply to the population at large who are buying these products.

“Basically, when you look at the evidence in the general population, it does not say that exercise is improved [or that] performance is improved by carbohydrate drinks.”

and

“The evidence does not stack up and the quality of the evidence does not allow us to say these do improve in performance or recovery and should be used as a product widely.”

and

Puma declined to provide his research team with any studies to prove that their shoes can deliver on those claims.

It looks like ‘probably, no’ to me?

muddyground
    Free Member

Back to pork pies and beer it is then.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

errm, have you read the article that was linked to?

No, I’ll probably record and watch the programme this evening though.

muddyground
    Free Member

No need – it’s on the BBC News website today. Naturally in the spirit of STW I’ve not read it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Prof Lean said the market for supplements is “yet another fashion accessory for exercise… and a rather expensive way of getting a bit of milk.”

“In this case, the quality of the evidence is poor, the size of the effect is often miniscule and it certainly doesn’t apply to the population at large who are buying these products.

Or put another way

yet another fashion accessory for exercise for the population at large who are buying these products

We all know they sell there proper supplements under the counter and you need something to blame when you get reet quick

BruceWee

I’ll probably be sticking with orange juice during ride, chocolate milk for post ride recovery, and beer for post ride re-hydration.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do sports products work?

What are they defining as “sports products”?
    Lucozade, powerbars etc all the way through to whey protein and creatine?

jota180
    Free Member

What are they defining as “sports products”?
    Lucozade, powerbars etc all the way through to whey protein and creatine?

that and stuff like running shoes too

maccruiskeen

that and stuff like running shoes too

To be honest I’m doubtful of the benefits of eating running shoes. The have tongues. Boak.

jota180
    Free Member

To be honest I’ve been doubtful of the benefits of eating running shoes too

They’d probably do you as much good as some of the snake oil that gets hyped to hell

maccruiskeen

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just a nice bit of pre-Olympic waffle by the beeb – dumbed down science by second rate academics bitter because they never got a slice of the “sports products” pie.

If people feel that hi-tech shoes/equipment/snacks may improve their performance then most likely they will.
    If people find motivation to exercise in buying new trainers, clothing or products with famous athletes endorsements then what’s wrong with that. ?

Is that sports products “working”….

…..maybe – just not in the way that many assume they will

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Interesting that they’ve gone after GSK.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is that sports products “working”….

…..maybe – just not in the way that many assume they will

Indeed, just like power balance bands.
    I guess the bottom line is –
    If a deception makes people feel better, is that a bad thing?

hilldodger
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    Indeed, just like power balance bands.
    I guess the bottom line is –
    If a deception makes people feel better, is that a bad thing?

It’s a good question – when does deception become applied psychology ?

Is a deceived person who then starts to improve their lifestyle and becomes healthier and more motivated worse/better of than an enlightened person slobbing out with a bucket of chips in front of the TV/PS3/internet……..

…I would put “power bands” further down the scale of rip-off then sports food however 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I got as far as PSA… Is this about Peanut Butter Chunky Kit-Kats being available again?

kudos100
    Free Member

Just a nice bit of pre-Olympic waffle by the beeb

Sums it up pretty well.

IanMunro
    Free Member

..I would put “power bands” further down the scale of rip-off then sports food however

Me too 😀
    But yup it’s an interesting question as to what’s morally acceptable and what isn’t.
    I look forward to not listening to it on the Moral Maze 😀

vinnyeh

Interesting that they’ve gone after GSK.

Why’s that?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was looking at the vending machine at work the other night, so called “energy drinks” £1.30 to £1.85, milk 60p, no wonder the farmers can’t make any money if stupid people are prepared to pay twice the price for flavoured fizzy water. 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Won’t the conclusion be, yes to and extent, but the same benefits can be obtained very easily and at considerably lower cost than falling for the manufacturers’ BS. Start with electrolyte drinks!!!!

donsimon
    Free Member

I was looking at the vending machine at work the other night, so called “energy drinks” £1.30 to £1.85, milk 60p, no wonder the farmers can’t make any money if stupid people are prepared to pay twice the price for flavoured fizzy water.

Perhaps they could market it as an energy drink?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d think it’s ‘Yes, but only for people who are actually fit. If your fat your waisting your time’.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Boom, tish !

(but took a couple of seconds to register!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why’s that?

I think GSK are/is the official laboratories supplier to the limpics innit.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think it’s worth remembering that Alf Tupper, Britain’s best runner ever, lived mostly on fish and chips.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Milk has got a lotta bottle, nice cold, ice cold, milk”

Blimey, that dates me. That was in the days before lactate intolerance was invented, sorry, discovered. Funny how all those school kids survived their daily bottles!?!?

BruceWee

Trying to remember where I heard that the best recovery meal was two pints of Guinness and a bag of chips.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thank you, I’m here all week. Literally.

Sandwich

So the science is all about de-bunking mass-market products. Any programme that covers nutrition products to running shoes is covering too broad an area.

Media knocking copy again. We had the Telegraph looking for stuff on “all the gear no idea” cyclists at work recently. I pointed out that we didn’t operate in the field they were examining, I’m hardly likely to bite the hand that feeds me.

I think the Wiggins description is apt about such low-life

sunnrider
    Free Member

It amazes me that anyone over the age of 12 would drink redbull or monster.

“Red bull, it gives you wings.” ….and funny coloured vomit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

However using some electrolyte containing drinks to deliver energy and rehydrate is not a bad idea.

perhaps it’s more about society wanting something as they have paid money but still can’t run like Bolt etc.

Or it’s lazy journalism taking a swing at a big corp knowing they are saying just enough for headlines but not enough to get sued

Sandwich

“Red bull, it gives you wings.”

But so do Always and they can get you roller skating too!

BoardinBob

IIRC Channel 4 did an experiment a few years back where they took a big bunch of atheletes, split them into groups and gave each group their own different supplements – creatine, protein, steroids, caffeine, placebos etc. Big bunch of tests at the start to establish the starting point then tests repeated again after a few weeks on the supplements. I believe the caffeine group showed the biggest improvements, followed by the placebo mob.

coffeeking
    Free Member

From personal experience, which means little, sports drinks don’t appear to do anything. In fact I rarely find I can drink while exercising unless it’s really hot. I have, however, found that with repeated heavy exercise day on day, a protein drink shortens recovery time a bit so I feel the next day I can do it again rather than having to wait a day. But even then that was only a fairly minimal effect and only when I was pushing myself hard for 2.5 hours a day, every day.

emsz
    Free Member

I run nearly everyday, anything from 20 mins if I’m doing intervals to 2 hrs or more on long lazy runs at the weekend, I’ll have a bit of flapjack on long runs occasionally, and just started running with a hand held bottle but that’s just water.

Did use flat trainers for a bit, but I couldnt get used to them, and I’m back on regular trainers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Panorama tonight, Do sports products work? 20.00 BBC1’ is closed to new replies.