• This topic has 135 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by h1jjy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • PSA: OSX Yosemite
  • Cougar

http://mashable.com/2014/10/16/os-x-yosemite-download

Apple’s latest Mac operating system, OS X Yosemite, will be available [for free] for download later today in the Mac App Store. Announced at WWDC 2014, Yosemite features a brand new look and feel, as well as integration with iOS 8.

Jamie
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/apple-october-announcement-imacipadiwotm8

…also, to update to a new OS on day 1, is madness.

Drac

ratherbeintobago

In my case, definitely, as Canon seem to be unable to get appropriate printer drivers ready in advance.

Should wait for 10.10.1; will probably go for it when it’s available (it isn’t yet).

Jamie
    Free Member

Bloody Australians.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you use your mac for work you would be mad to upgrade the OS, let the nerds and geeks work out what does/doesn’t work first.

CountZero

I know what you mean, but as I hardly ever use it, I’m not too fussed. It’s there to stream music and to back up with, I can’t be arsed to do anything much staring across the room at a 40″ tv screen. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

If you use your mac for work you would be mad to upgrade the OS, let the nerds and geeks work out what does/doesn’t work first.

Apple did open Yosemite up to a public beta, so anyone thinking about updating early, should have really had a crack at that.

I did, and while I didn’t hit any massive roadblocks….it looks awful.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I use my iMac for work and have been running Yosemite on the public Beta for about 8 weeks now and it’s pretty good.

No issues apart from Linotype FontExplorer X and Handbrake. Even Adobe CS2014 is running very nicely on it, which is a massive surprise.

the-muffin-man

What’s the speed like? I find the current OS pretty sluggish.

timc
    Free Member

That the sydney apple store? Once went in there to have a look on stw 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m not touching it until I know all the software I use is compatible, mavericks broke a lot of things last time round like borderless A3 printing, double profiling with colour management, unable to run graphics monitor calibration software, chronosync problems and my camera wouldn’t tether to capture software so I would be nuts to install it.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve been running the Developer Previews since DP2 and it’s really very good.

Rachel

stumpytrek
    Free Member

I’ve been running the public beta since version 1 with no problems at all.

It’s not a revolution, but it is a very good refinement of what went before.

The integration with iOS8 is excellent.

kcal

Was quite startled when my iPhone rang and up popped a notification within Yosemite.. 🙂

nickdavies

Just thought i’d give this a go, it was obviously so good they pulled it out of the app store.
    🙄

Russell96

Their CDN and transit suppliers are probably near meltdown just like any major IOS upgrade.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ll be waiting for the “Yosemite” killed my Mac thread to come and go.

CountZero

It’s currently telling me it’ll take one day four hours to download 5.5Gb! 😯
    And I’ve just had Infinity fibre connected…
    I guess their servers have got the aircon running flat out, probably showing pure white in an orbital IR photo.
    Good thing I don’t need the Mac for anything. 😆
    [edit] Whoops, now it’s saying one day 23 hours! Eek!
    Hmmm, jumping all over the place, anywhere from 20hrs 11mins to one day 11hours!
    I’m going to bed, I’ll see where it’s got to tomorrow afternoon when I get home.

CountZero

kcal – Member
    Was quite startled when my iPhone rang and up popped a notification within Yosemite..

I was a bit startled last week when a mate phoned and I got the call come up on my iPad!
    And no, I didn’t try holding it to my ear! 😉

batfink
    Free Member

Bloody Australians.

careful 🙂

I shall be avoiding that part of town this weekend!

wilburt
    Free Member

Can you now make FaceTime audio calls from the mac?

Jamie
    Free Member

careful

What you going to do? Have a dingo steal my baby?

😛

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJL_sQTZOE[/video]

As an aside, for those holding off Yosemite, there is still a top secret security update rolled out today. In the App store.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ta f’t edsup.. 😀

Drac

Can you now make FaceTime audio calls from the mac?

You’ve been able to for ages now.

wilburt
    Free Member

Maybe I’m doing it wrong then, the options there but it doesn’t connect so I end up using a phone but still through FaceTime.

curvature
    Free Member

The difference with the phone is that you will now be able to make and receive calls direct from a Mac as long as it is paired to an iPhone. It will not be FaceTime calls as you will be able to converse with landlines and other mobiles.

Am I right about this?

Drac

Think that’s how it’s working yes, I’ll know more in about 30 minutes.

wilburt
    Free Member

I use FaceTime to make calls when working from home, the calls can be quite long so I hope it’s avoiding mobile/landline call charges but at the moment it only works through the iPhone which is not really an issue but it would be nice to use the Mac.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

After the mess iOS 8 has made of my iPhone and my wife’s im going to hold off.

wilburt
    Free Member

Thanks for that Drac but its just a basic guide to FaceTime, it doesn’t cover the question I asked which may be twofold.

When I use FaceTime on an iPhone to call a landline does it use the wifi and not swap to the cellular network?

Should I be able to call landlines from FaceTime in the iMac as I appear to do on my iPhone.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been doing the public beta of Yosemite and it’s all been fine really, the first release was buggy but the rest have been really good.

You also don’t need bluetooth for some of the handoff features, my mac was ringing yesterday when my phone was and bluetooth was off on both so it must be using the wifi network.

Drac

On your phone it should use wifi if Availble.

With Yosemite it seems your Mac can use any wifi. Mines updating now, very slowly.

somouk
    Free Member

I should clarify that was for a normal call and not just facetime.

wilburt
    Free Member

On a similar point I read yesterday a development not widely discussed is the inclusion of an Apple Sim in the new iPads meaning they don’t need one from the phone company.

allthegear
    Free Member

wilburt – you can’t use Facetime on any device, including your phone, to call a landline. It’s just automatically making a normal call.

Facetime requires compatible software at both ends of the call.

Rachel

m360
    Free Member

Yosemite is downloading now…I may be some time 😯

I was hoping for more for the Apple TV. Great to see the prices of older tech dropping when the new stuff is released (and still available from Apple). That’s how I got my phone, and my mother will be getting an “old” iPad for Xmas now 8)

Drac

30 mins to download for me but it’s been patching with an estimated time of 22 minutes for about 40 minutes now. Oh wait says 8 minutes now.

allthegear
    Free Member

Anybody who has Homebrew installed might want to consider doing a mv /usr/local ~/local before the update – otherwise the installer has to move around each file in there one by one an can take hours.

Oh – and you can check it is still installing by bringing up the log window with Command key + L

Rachel

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘PSA: OSX Yosemite’ is closed to new replies.