Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA – Old Pound Coins cease being legal tender today..
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t forget today’s the last day Old Pound Coins will be legal tender.

A few large Supermarkets will continue to accept them for a few weeks, but not all. Banks will allow deposits into accounts for months yet, but the main topic is retailers will be allowed to refuse them after today should they so wish.

Refusal often offends so get spending,,!

Link to article ..

unknown
    Free Member

Wow, well that came out of nowhere.

DrJ

My local Sainsbury just refused to accept them TODAY!!!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

They kept that quiet. 👿

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume that is some sarcasm going around?

Drac

Next you’ll be telling me they’ve changed £5 notes to plastic.

newrobdob
    Free Member

They kept that quiet.

Have you been living in a cave for the last 6 months??

eddiebaby
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member
    They kept that quiet.
    Have you been living in a cave for the last 6 months??

No. I was making a joke about how this ‘news’ is everywhere and has been for the last fortnight.

Cougar

retailers will be allowed to refuse them after today should they so wish.

They can refuse anything they like at any time. “Legal tender” is an irrelevance, it has absolutely nothing to do with paying for things in shops (it relates to the settling of debts). Fifty pound notes are legal tender, good luck using one to buy a paper in the local newsagents.

It’s up to the shops whether to accept the old coins, and when they don’t you can always take them to the bank to be changed.

simondbarnes

There’s a new pound coin?

nickdavies

Don’t know why they’d refuse. Unless your talking big supermarkets etc it’s not an issue to take them. I’m still taking them, just keep a few more new pound coins than usual to swap them with. Money is money… offy across the road wouldn’t take an old fiver off me the other week, bought my lunch at another shop that would, their loss.

Still take the old fiver too!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t know why they’d refuse. Unless your talking big supermarkets etc it’s not an issue to take them. I’m still taking them, just keep a few more new pound coins than usual to swap them with.

The BoE wants them out of circulation, the amount of forgeries is a bit issue, the reason for business to stop taking them now is so that the transition starts properly. It’s a kick up the arse move.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Aside from the very real problem of fakes, I wonder if their is another benefit of the rapid removal from circulation?

I heard today there are still £450 million of them in circulation, presumed lost. I wonder if say in a year the BOE would be allowed to create another £450m to replace them. I wonder if that would be enough to have a mild QE effect.

chip
    Free Member

Next you’ll be telling me they’ve changed £5 notes to plastic.

Are they getting rid of the white ones?

Tracey

Aldi also refused to take them today

Drac

Are they getting rid of the white ones?

Joe Cocker would never allow it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t know why some of you are whining like children, it’s been in the news for sometime..

And sarcasm aside… My post was to inspire those, like me, who have Change dishes lying around full of em’ and it’s time to get rid.

But please, continue with the whataboutery… it’s why we’re here after all.

Tracey

Ours were all in the camper for use on car parks. They have now gone back to Uni in Sheffield as I’m assured the will be spent in the pub tonight

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Take them to the bank and hopefully they will cash them in.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Old Pound Coins cease being legal tender today..’ is closed to new replies.