Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PSA: occasional London visitors – free keys for TfL bikes
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Bit of a PSA for people that visit London occasionally or would use the TfL bikes only occasionally. There’s a key that (once you have signed up) you can use to unlock the bikes on the racks instead of messing around with the terminal, which ends up taking 2-3 mins a shot. Usually the keys cost £3 a year but for September they’re giving them away free.

You have to prepay either one 1 day period (£2) or a year’s subscription (£90).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks will let some friends know, we have ours already.

konabunny
    Free Member
    theflatboy
    Free Member

I used one of these for the first time today, can’t believe I’ve never bothered until now. Remembered this and ordered my own key, so a belated ta!

cokie

Oh, just got the key! Always put off by faffing with the machine.
    I’ve gone for the 24hr period for £2. I ticket the update function, my understanding is that once I’ve used my 1x 24hr period it will then load another on automaticly for £2. Seems neat and trouble free!

annebr
    Free Member

Thank you 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

They do make things so much easier and faster. The PAYG access with a key makes a huge amount of sense if you’re ever likely to use one.

DPM

Thanks for this – ordered mine. Also never fancied the hassle before, now it looks easy 🙂

bearnecessities

Having spent a fair amount of time in London lately, combined with a desire to walk to the offices rather than tube, I’m gobsmacked at:

A) The size of the testicles of the numerous cyclists
    B) The speed at which some ride; proper powerful cyclists
    C) The amount of times I’ve physically flinched watching a near-death incident (usually involving a bus)
    D) The bat-shit-mental Boris bike riders that are dawdling about helmet-less in rush hour.

What strikes me as I walk, is whether I’d be more scared as a cyclist being hit by a vehicle, or as a vehicle driver hitting a cyclist!

konabunny
    Free Member

Naah, cycling in London is pretty safe and generally it’s a traffic ecosystem in which everyone seems to run along to get along. I’d rather ride in London than in some dual-carriageway studded new town.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Agreed kb…

Brilliant stroke of luck this morning, I had to go by tube for the second day running, after the success of Santander bike yesterday I figured I’d get out a couple of stops earlier and ride the last couple of miles. Got to the docking station and still had 26 minutes left from yesterday’s hire period, so didn’t even have to pay again! 🙂

I’m enjoying burning people off the lights while they’re on their clipped-in carbon race bikes!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PSA: occasional London visitors – free keys for TfL bikes’ is closed to new replies.