Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA – New WheelPro Wheelbuilding book
  • Speeder

Thought there may be some interest for this as it comes up in here quite often. Roger Musson has just released a new version of what must be the most complete and easy to follow wheelbuilding guide available.

Ok it’s £9 and you only get a pdf for that which you’ll have to print out if you want a hard copy but I think that’s good value for money given the skills it will teach you. I bought mine over 6 years ago and have probably built 10 sets of wheels in that time to it pays back & I still get free updates.

I’ve no affiliation with Roger or the book I just think it’s worth the plug. 🙂

http://www.Wheelpro.co.uk

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What’s new in this version?

tomhoward

650b

Jamie
    Free Member

650b

It really makes the pages come alive!

Speeder

Not sure what’s new as I’ve only really skimmed it but there’s sections in there like wheel repairs, that definitely aren’t in mine. It’s now 122 pages and my old very dog eared copy is nowhere near that thick so there’s got to be some useful additions in there.

wwaswas

650b

I think you have to print it on paper that’s not quite half way between A5 and A4 now too.

julianwilson
    Free Member

one of my favourite bike purchases ever. Paid for itself almost immediately in not buying a wheel jig and nipple driver (in fact for his prescribed technique you would need to grind a bit off a ‘proper’ one too so I made one out of a cheap screwdriver) and I have built 20 or so wheels for me/wife/mates from scratch, and rebuilt (totally slackened off and retensioned properly) another half dozen (yes you, Kona and Superstar 👿 )

Because rather than fixed gauges atached to the stand, it relies on you frequently checking the dishing (the stand desogn allows you to do this without taking the wheel out of the stand) and sighting the rim against a two floating gauges (ie you just stand the two gauges on the base of the stand and spin the wheel), and you can move the right hand leg in and out and use a 10mm hex key for through-axles, I have built/bodged the stand to acommodate and build on every axle ‘standard’ out there including maverick 24mm front hubs.

I have had a new computer since I bought it so as an old customer I have just downloaded the newest one onto new (well, ‘less old’) computer for nowt. Ace! 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Cool, will update mine

warpcow
    Free Member

There’s a changelog. Seem to only be a difference in how to modify the stand for truing tubeless 29er wheels with tyres fitted. Woo!

jamiea
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads-up! I’ve had the 5th edition for a few months. I cut out most of the bits for the truing stand on the CNC worktable in the Workshop at work, must get it put together and get some road wheels build over the winter…

Cheers,
    Jamie

superfli
    Free Member

Signed up and printed the book off a few weeks ago so I could build my first wheel. Built successfully just the other night – very pleased with the easy to follow book.
    Before checking the site just now, I thought there’d been an update, after I’d printed the whole bl**dy lot off a few weeks back! Fortunately not 🙂 6th edition.

barrykellett
    Free Member

And a free upgrade for peeps who purchased previous versions. Just downloaded it for free 🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Will this book take you from novice to your first wheelbuild? I have a lovely roval hub I’d like to rescue from its current rim.

superfli
    Free Member

Yes it will. Thats what I did the other night. Wrecked old wheel rim. I stripped the spokes and hub and put them onto a newer rim (knowing I should use new spokes). Follow the guide carefully and my wheel was built a couple of hours later. Its true (slightly out radially, but dont care) and centered.

warpcow
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member
    Will this book take you from novice to your first wheelbuild? I have a lovely roval hub I’d like to rescue from its current rim.

It did for me. First pair still going strong.

z1ppy

am I being daft, as I can’t see an obvious link on the site, how are ppl upgrading?

Ahhh I see, you log into the “my account” section to get the upgrade..

Cheers to the OP

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Print it on A4 and a half

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve rebuilt / rehubbed 3 wheels now using this book.

jamiea
    Free Member

knowing I should use new spokes

Not according to Roger: “Wherever possible you should reuse old spokes

Cheers,
    Jamie

Speeder

Just to answer z!ppy’s original question – If you can’t remember your username or password just enter your email into

THIS

box and you’ll get a reminder through pretty much instantaneously.

Admittedly this doesn’t work if you can’t remember the email you used but that’s not really Roger’s fault. 🙂

deets

Excellent book, I’m becoming strangely addicted to speccing and building new wheels. Amazing what you can build for your money with some careful research and shopping.

superfli
    Free Member

Not according to Roger: “Wherever possible you should reuse old spokes”

My spokes were slightly too long (1mm), but wasnt too concerned by that.

jamiea
    Free Member

I’m becoming strangely addicted to speccing and building new wheels

I hear you brother! I’ve got a spreadsheet with various builds worked out- procrastination a plenty as I try to work out if I’d be happy with Velocity on Novatechs or be a bit more spendy and get Open Pros on Dura Ace 9000 which will likely last me out. Or go Hope to match my hardtail… 😕 😀

Cheers,
    Jamie

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Great book, my first set is still going strong even after multiple tests in the Alps.

Simple to read and follow. No bothered to ever update so might give it a try.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA – New WheelPro Wheelbuilding book’ is closed to new replies.